PDA

View Full Version : 625 HP Twin Turbo C6

Rick Daniel
11-11-03, 04:47 PM
11-11 Automotive Design and Production Magazine

" When Chevrolet rolls out the 6th gen Corvette at the North American Inter. Auto Show in January, the Gen 4 V8 will have a reported 405 hp, the same as the current Z06. Insiders at both GM and suppliers say the Z06 will have an even 500hp, but will not be the most powerful Corvette. That prize will belong to the limited production ZL1 twin turbo which is producing 625 hp in production trim. The Gen4 has thinner bore walls, stronger bulkheads, and retains the cast-in-place iron cylinder liners. The casting process includes a mechanically induced rapid chilling of the bulkheads to promote swift directional solidification of the aluminum and a fine grain structure , both of which improve dimensional stability. A composite barrel crank core replaces the current segmented barrel design, again for tighter and more consistant bore dimensions. The cores are screwed and glued together, the aluminum is pumped in rather than poured, and all the oil galleries are drilled and machined.":eek :beer

Now this make a lot of since.

Lutz speaks to Edmuns.com

You did the Viper during your stint at Chrysler, and now Neil Hannemann, who led the Viper team, is doing the GT at Ford. Does GM need a Viper/GT class vehicle, or is the Corvette strong enough to handle that role?

Let me tell you that the Corvette C6 will have versions where we confidently predict it will suck the doors off of both the cars that you just named.:)

ROCKETBLOCK
11-11-03, 04:52 PM
holy crap:eek

reubenmc
11-11-03, 04:53 PM
625HP TT!!!! ;worship ;worship ;worship

JT ZR-Won
11-11-03, 05:17 PM
That would be incredible!

Jay

Manatee
11-11-03, 05:21 PM
Rick, put me down for another Vette from you. ;)

625hp, it might be enough. :) Suck the doors off, huh? Maybe they should call it the "Corvette Hoover"

invinceablevett
11-11-03, 05:47 PM
I guess the c6 will have some people surprised after all! :)

budweisert
11-11-03, 08:08 PM
:eek :eek :eek :eek :J :J :_rock :BOW

hubbaduh-hubbaduh-hubbaduh

warren s
11-11-03, 08:35 PM
How much do you think GM will be giving that away for?

MidKnight
11-11-03, 08:53 PM
I can't even imagine it.
Wow.
/shudder

budweisert
11-11-03, 11:36 PM
Corvette C6 ZL-1

Kinda rolls off your tongue rather nicely. . . .

I'd say $85,000 which is a helluva bargain, I mean 625-friggin' horsepower!!! That's more than the McLaren F1!!!

:J

twiget
11-11-03, 11:58 PM
ZR-1's beware, a new King of the Hill is on the horizon. :D

Jason

tntcorvette
11-12-03, 01:24 AM
Yeah right....I tell you what, I'll belive it when I see it.

After watching GM half ass the anneversary cars for so many years, and then smacking us in the face with '96 Grand Sport that never was (should have been a wide body kit similar to the ZR1 and with more than 330 HP) I have lost confidence that there will be another mega hp Corvette.

But I know the C6 will have a crazy powerfull motor!

UB2 SLOW
11-12-03, 07:09 AM
Holy Crap. That will be one amazing car. IF they build it.

Brett
11-12-03, 11:36 AM
Actually, the '96 Grand Sport did have the ZR-1's wide body kit. It was basically a ZR-1 without the LT-5. And the LT-4 is more potent than GM would have you believe. Ask anyone that owns one. It was underrated by GM so that it wouldn't overshadow the LS1 coming out the next year. The LT-4 really has around 350 horsepower. It's a cool car in my book.

I have no doubt in my mind that the C6 will take out the Viper. That is what they are gunning for, and the Z06 almost does already.

I have to wonder though, when will this "arms race" of horsepower stop? It's kind of funny with all of us begging for 500 horsepower like it's not a big deal. That is some crazy power! Then what, 600? It will be interesting to see how the other car companies respond!

Brett

Gorgon
11-12-03, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Actually, the '96 Grand Sport did have the ZR-1's wide body kit.

The GS did not have the ZR-1's wide body. They put fender flares on the base car's body to fit the large tires.

Leon

Remo
11-12-03, 01:17 PM
Rick,

A 2006 500 HP Z06 sounds pretty good to me. The twin turbo version could be a handfull in the street. Not to mention some of the other tubo issues like lag and overworked intercoolers. When the time comes it looks like I'll have to part company with Quicksilver.

Remo :cool

twiget
11-12-03, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Gorgon
The GS did not have the ZR-1's wide body. They put fender flares on the base car's body to fit the large tires.

Leon

What he said.

Having never driven a ZR-1 I cant give you a power comparison. But I can tell you from SOTP feel, my GS was by far the most ass kicking car I've ever sat in, including numerous F-bodies and a couple early C5's...

Jason

tntcorvette
11-12-03, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Actually, the '96 Grand Sport did have the ZR-1's wide body kit. It was basically a ZR-1 without the LT-5. And the LT-4 is more potent than GM would have you believe. Ask anyone that owns one. It was underrated by GM so that it wouldn't overshadow the LS1 coming out the next year. The LT-4 really has around 350 horsepower. It's a cool car in my book.

I have no doubt in my mind that the C6 will take out the Viper. That is what they are gunning for, and the Z06 almost does already.

I have to wonder though, when will this "arms race" of horsepower stop? It's kind of funny with all of us begging for 500 horsepower like it's not a big deal. That is some crazy power! Then what, 600? It will be interesting to see how the other car companies respond!

Brett

The Grand Sport has fender flares and a paint job. The LT4 engine is a great motor and definetly puts out ~350 flywheel hp.

But since the LT4 was offered in all 6 speed cars and not just the grand sport for 1996 the only thing that makes it special is the paint job, limited production and of course the Grand Sport name.

But the reality of it is that the '96 Grand Sport is no where near what the original grand sport was about.

Brett
11-12-03, 03:26 PM
You're right, thanks for the correction. Apparently I got some rather vague, incorrect information!

Brett

Tuna
11-12-03, 04:25 PM
Take a close look at the last picture of the rear of the 'c6' elsewhere in this forum and you'll see that there are fender flares there. I wonder if these are being test fitted for the ZL1 version of the c6???

Buster1
11-12-03, 05:51 PM
625 ponies...that is a LOT of thrust! This machine would really be out there. Could we even afford it? I'm just guessing, but that kind of power and technology, I think this may be out of the "everyday corvette" realm of affordability. $100K maybe???

I hate to be a stick in the mud here, but as appetizing as all that seems, it doesn't seem like a true Vette to me. What's the most Hp any STOCK Vette has ever had? I don't know, but it seems odd that GM would be upping the power so much...why? WHo would they be marketing that kind of car to?

C5Pilot
11-13-03, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Tuna
Take a close look at the last picture of the rear of the 'c6' elsewhere in this forum and you'll see that there are fender flares there. I wonder if these are being test fitted for the ZL1 version of the c6???

My guess its all about marketing image. GM doesn't need to sell many 625HP Vettes to claim they have a car with more pickup than a Viper or GT40. Given that Ford will have the GT40 and Chrysler the Viper, there may be a feeling they don't want the Corvette image to fall to a second tier player. GM already claims lap time parity with the Viper (for the Z06), but straight line acceleration parity (or rather superiority) would make this an uncontestable claim.

Doc

tntcorvette
11-13-03, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Buster1
625 ponies...that is a LOT of thrust! This machine would really be out there. Could we even afford it? I'm just guessing, but that kind of power and technology, I think this may be out of the "everyday corvette" realm of affordability. $100K maybe???

I hate to be a stick in the mud here, but as appetizing as all that seems, it doesn't seem like a true Vette to me. What's the most Hp any STOCK Vette has ever had? I don't know, but it seems odd that GM would be upping the power so much...why? WHo would they be marketing that kind of car to?

I think the most motor offered in a Corvette was like the 66 or 67 L88 or such???? A solid roller big block 427 was it at ~600 + hp???

IF GM makes this car it will be in limited numbers.

tt-rexx
11-13-03, 08:50 AM
even if they do build a viper killer they won't build enough for every dealer to have one. the collectors and people with bottomless pockets will get them all. they are just for gm bragging rights. i bet even you won't have two a year to sell.

Bob_K
11-13-03, 10:38 PM
That twin turbo would be a real Viper Killer :r Anyone want to buy one for me?