PDA

View Full Version : Attention Corvette Engineers...

Rob
10-30-03, 03:00 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us a C6 with this kind of exhaust growl:

http://homepage.mac.com/fluffy/.Public/TopGear_GT40.wmv

Gorgon
10-30-03, 03:41 PM
Wow, do I love that car... :D

Can't wait to see the C6 Z06 comparo when it comes out. Somehow I doubt Corvette will be able to compete with a 200mph top speed.

Leon

Piet
10-30-03, 05:34 PM
It's the one Ford that makes my heart skip a beat... (other than Elenor...)

Nice clip! Thanks

CFour
10-30-03, 05:48 PM
:L Naaaaa It will never happen, If GM were Dems we would get noise and a little "bling bling" but im afraid all we will get is the Republican treatment "Cadillac Sound" and drab colors. ;)

Ken
10-30-03, 05:53 PM
Anybody catch the snide remark about "America only being able to make cars that go fast... in a straight line. Like the Space Shuttle, a Boeing 747 , a Corvette..." :eyerole

Ctfoodguy2000
10-30-03, 06:01 PM
Yup, heard it! What a great clip though... At least thety mention Vettes

Brett
10-30-03, 06:46 PM
The only reason for that line was to take a crack at the 'vette. Fortunately, well informed people know the truth.:D

The GT40 has always had a great sound.

Brett

grapeknutz
10-30-03, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Ken
Anybody catch the snide remark about "America only being able to make cars that go fast... in a straight line. Like the Space Shuttle, a Boeing 747 , a Corvette..." :eyerole

Damn British:Buttslap

ROCKETBLOCK
10-30-03, 10:41 PM
And.......... I thought the Russians were tops at propaganda!!!:TALK :L

corvettecrazy
10-30-03, 10:42 PM
i would rather have a little bit deeper rumble over the sound of that car. sweet I will agree but not loud or deep enough.

it just needs more throat rumble.

slashnick
10-31-03, 12:30 AM
He also says it is America's first real supercar...
I guess he forgot the Saleen S7 and the Viper, both of which have equal or more hp and torque than the GT. Without the aid of a supercharger.

Ford GT - 500 / 500
Viper - 500 / 525
Saleen - 550 / 525

And at an estimated $150,000, it is $65,000 more than the Viper and I'm sure the C6 Z06 will be even less than the Viper with about 500/500 right?

It's limited production numbers make it seem more special that it really is.

I wonder how much Ford paid that guy to make that commerical anyway...

PS - I still want one.

CFour
10-31-03, 01:21 AM
How quickly they forget.

Brett
10-31-03, 01:32 AM
At $150,000+, I wonder how many people the car will appeal to other than race-history enthusiasts/collectors. The Viper, which already has a killer reputation, has more brawn and costs almost half as much--with no cheesy supercharger. Usually that's something the lesser cars use to catch up to the supercars, but opposite is found here....hmmm.... Plus the Viper is much more functional as a cruiser. The GT-40 is a racecar, with a racecar's body. No roadster/convertible option there...

Brett

Tru_Ice
10-31-03, 01:40 AM
Awesome clip!!! Gotta admit it Ford has a nice car on their hands.

Rob
10-31-03, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by slashnick
He also says it is America's first real supercar...
I guess he forgot the Saleen S7 and the Viper, both of which have equal or more hp and torque than the GT. Without the aid of a supercharger.

Ford GT - 500 / 500
Viper - 500 / 525
Saleen - 550 / 525

And at an estimated $150,000, it is $65,000 more than the Viper and I'm sure the C6 Z06 will be even less than the Viper with about 500/500 right?

It's limited production numbers make it seem more special that it really is.

I wonder how much Ford paid that guy to make that commerical anyway...

PS - I still want one. Not necessarily. The Saleen S7 isn't really in the same league as the Viper or the Ford GT. It's a limited production, high dollar exotic produced by a very small, privately owned company.

Up until this latest generation of Viper, the Viper was not in the same league as the Ford GT in terms of output and possibly performance. They now have the 500 hp, but production is not limited and there is nothing really exotic about the Viper.

The Ford GT touches on the exotic given it's outstanding design, performance and production numbers. In my opinion, this is the first time a major American automotive manufacturer has achieved something like this in as short of time as Ford has done.

Rob
10-31-03, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Brett
At $150,000+, I wonder how many people the car will appeal to other than race-history enthusiasts/collectors. The Viper, which already has a killer reputation, has more brawn and costs almost half as much--with no cheesy supercharger. Usually that's something the lesser cars use to catch up to the supercars, but opposite is found here....hmmm.... Plus the Viper is much more functional as a cruiser. The GT-40 is a racecar, with a racecar's body. No roadster/convertible option there...

Brett In all honesty, I eat, sleep and poop Corvette and I will always bleed BowTie red when cut, but I also believe in giving credit where credit is due and in my opinion, Ford, has a hot ticket on their hands.

Ever since I was a little kid, I have always admired the Ford GT40. I still have a little Matchbox of one hanging around here somewhere.

When they rolled out the Ford GT concept car, I was floored, but figured there was no way in hell they were going to bring something like that to production.

Boy was I wrong.

I've stated here many times that I tend to tread lightly when it comes to approaching the topic of retro-designs in new cars. In my opinion, Ford has mastered this brilliantly and the pinnacle of it can be seen in the new GT.

I absolutely love this car for several reasons: the performance, the design, the overall look and the fact that Ford had the testicles to do something like this.

I honestly hope that it will encourage other automotive manufacturers to breakout of the stagnant design and engineering stalemate that they seem to be in, and light a flame under their butts to start coming out with bold, new, designs that will not only touch on yesteryear, but excite you enough to make you drool.

Yes, the Ford GT is not necessarily a new design, but in many different ways, it is.

If I had the money, you bet your butt I would have one parked next to my current Vette as well as a C6 Z06...and a '69 bigblock....and a 1996 Grand Sport....and.... ;)

Again, I bleed BowTie red whenever cut, but I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. As much as I hate to admit it, I think Ford deserves a little credit for this one.

ROCKETBLOCK
10-31-03, 11:11 AM
NAH!!! Just another Ford old tech, old design, retro attempt. Did all of the designers and computers at Ford die? And, since when is $150,000 Ford type pricing??? The gall to compare to the new Ferraris and Lambos! I like cars in general and it just doesn't appeal to me. I could find better ways to spend my $150,000.;shrug

Piet
10-31-03, 11:28 AM
I'm with Rob on this one... they did a good job!

slashnick
10-31-03, 12:37 PM
Rob,

I see what you're saying, and I totally agree, if I had the dough, I'd buy one in a hearbeat! I was just saying that video is a little over the top on how great this car is.

As far as the Saleen not being in the same class, I believe you are wrong. The Saleen is limited production and so is the GT. I understand your point about how it is a small company making very very few, but it is a supercar. If Ford is going to call the GT a supercar, then the Saleen and the GT should be compared accordingly.

I can't believe you don't think the Viper is exotic. The new Viper is pretty much a different car. Even though it is not limited production, they are still very rare.

I love the new Ford GT, but it is not all that the video claims it to be.

Tru_Ice
10-31-03, 01:07 PM
Saleen S7 400,000+

Ford GT 140,000+

I'm not sure, but I don't think they're in the same class.

froggy47
10-31-03, 02:16 PM
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the clip, I think the new Ford GT is way cool. It should be priced more in the Viper range though. $150K is too much for a sportscar that shares a lot of parts with other Fords.

And that sound! Why does GM make Vettes with mini van exhaust systems? I just don't get that. I talked to a GM guy at a car show a couple of years ago, when I got my Z71 Suburban. I told him that certain models/option packages should include an exhaust upgrade. Of course he agreed. I guess to hit a price point they short change the exhaust & let the aftermarket fill the need.

Even if it out performs Vettes & Vipers $150,000 for the Ford GT is going to limit sales.

I think a price of $150 & up should be reserved for a car with close to 100% handmade/custom made (or procured) parts.

Seeya.

Who is that guy in the video clip?

AUSSIEVETTEMAN
10-31-03, 03:52 PM
Yeah alright, it is a nice car, but it is still a Ford.

I agree with Piet, only a few Fords make my heart flutter. The Ford Falcon GT (Aussie Car), Mustang especially the Elanor and anything that comes from Shelby, maybe a few F150 Trucks (Harley Specials) and the GT40.

We have a saying though:
God made sh*t, Ford made it move!

Cheers

Tony

slashnick
10-31-03, 05:51 PM
Saleen S7 400,000+

Ford GT 140,000+

I'm not sure, but I don't think they're in the same class.

The Saleen is personally built and customized to the buyer's body. It is all part of the ultra luxurious image. They charge it beause they can.

If the GT and the Saleen aren't in the same class then shouldn't call the GT a supercar.

froggy47
11-01-03, 02:14 PM
My 2 cents, I don't consider the Viper, Ford GT, or for that matter the low end Ferrari's as supercars.

The Saleen, the high end Ferraris, Lambo, Maserati's, the new Mercedes supercar ($350k) yes.

Re: the Viper & not to get too far off the thread, but, am I wrong or don't they break down a lot & take forever to get fixed? I've heard that from a couple of sources & wonder if the forum has any info on that.

I may ***** about this or that on the LT4 but it really never lets me down. Very reliable, a little chintzy around the edges. The fit & finish is where GM could do a whole lot better. But LT5/Z06/LT4, them's a lotta car for the dinero.

Lingmieux
11-02-03, 11:03 AM
Great clip Rob! I would also buy the car if I had the money.
It's really a nice car.

Cheers,

Roger

http://www.lingmerth.com/Images/corvettes/ASG2003/2L.jpg

LongTimer
11-03-03, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by ROCKETBLOCK
NAH!!! Just another Ford old tech, old design, retro attempt. Did all of the designers and computers at Ford die? And, since when is $150,000 Ford type pricing??? The gall to compare to the new Ferraris and Lambos! I like cars in general and it just doesn't appeal to me. I could find better ways to spend my $150,000.;shrug

Rocket, I think you make a good point about (essentially) "Nothing new here, just another retro." I find it interesting that it wasn't that long ago that Carol Shelby produced a few new/old Cobras. Neither of these cars introduces any significant technology, to my knowlege. Nostalga will sell a certain number of cars, but as we know from the failing T-bird, these must be good, inspiring cars, or disappointment and oblivian will closely follow the introduction of a retro.

However, Ford seems to recognize that not many will pay 150 large, but some will. I think they will sell their 1500-2000 GT40s for $150k - and it will be worth every penny of about $60k. But because of the rarity of the car, I doubt if any owner will lose a penny on resale. Like us vette guys, there are plenty of Ford nuts out there too.

froggy47
11-03-03, 03:58 PM
Re: They'll sell them all ..... I agree, but, maybe I'll wait a couple of years & when they guy with the $$$$ moves on to a new toy I'll pick it up for 50 cents on the dollar. ;)