PDA

View Full Version : Engine mount bolt

LannyL81
09-17-03, 09:45 PM
Hello,
Okay another quick question: As I was attempting to replace my fuel pump I noticed that the engine mount cross bolt is just touching the fuel pump. I think a previous owner put in a bolt that is too long. So what I need is the correct size of the this bolt so I can go get one now so I can have it with me when I go back and actually replace the fuel pump.

Heck, while I'm here....any proven hints or lessons learned in replacing the fuel pump? I did not have the correct tools with me at my first attempt.

Thanks,
Lanny

vette-dude
09-18-03, 06:20 AM
The bolt is probably correct just put in backwards. Remove and put in from opposite direction while you have the fuel pump off.

Randy

mikejpss
09-20-03, 08:49 AM
vette-dude is right, it is in backwards. Remove it and turn it around, then it'll fit right.

fuel pump installation: When I replaced my fuel pump, I read where you can remove a bolt from the front of the block, install a longer bolt that will hold the fuel pump rod in the up position while you're installing the pump, then replace the longer bolt with the original. This is handy since it allows you to not push the rod up while trying to stab the fuel pump. This bolt is 90 degrees from the pump, on the front face of the block, and approx. the same elevation as the fuel pump attaching bolts. I can not remember what website i read it from, but it does work. The original bolt is approx. 1 1/2 inches long, use a 2 1/2 inch bolt to hold the rod in place. Just DO NOT forget to replace the original bolt before you start the engine or you'll have a serious problem. I'll try to find the website and report back. Mike J.

mikejpss
09-20-03, 09:02 AM
fuel pump replacement tricks:
go to dynamiccorvettes.com. On the main page- look under "tips and tricks", you'll find pics and description on fuel pump replacement. Sure is a handy item to know. Just dont forget to remove the temporary bolt and replace the original bolt.
Mike J.

LannyL81
09-21-03, 07:06 PM
Regarding the bolt in backwards....then the correct installation is with the bolt head towards the front of the car?

If so, then mine is in backwards as the bolt head is towards the rear of the car. The only way to put the bolt in this way is with the fuel pump out. Are you guys sure about this?

Oh and thanks for web page with the hints for changing the fuel pump...very, very helpful indeed...

Later,
Lanny