PDA

View Full Version : Driver's side footwell light

LannyL81
09-06-03, 06:28 PM
Hello to all once again,

This time, simple question; where does the driver's side footwell lamp/light attach to? Does it go on the kick panel like the passenger's side?

When I got my car is was just hanging below the headlight vacuum switch.

Thanks again,
Lanny
Tucson, AZ

platato
09-13-03, 11:45 AM
We have the exact same situation. It appears from everything that I have seen in the manuals that the clip on the back of the bulb housing should fit into a thin metal bracket which (should be) riveted to the kick panel. You might have to get ahold of some parts yards and buy the clip and rivet it back on. That said, keep in mind that our Vette is a St. Louis car and I am finding out that all the manuals cover the Bowling Green car. If anyone has any other thoughts I would like to hear them

STW! The Platatos

mikejpss
09-13-03, 10:09 PM
Lanny- if it makes you feel better, mine is exactly like yours- that is, the drivers side is just hanging there. The passengers side has a metal bracket that is pop-riveted to the kick panel, I do not see anything in place to hold the drivers side light to the kick panel-or wherever it should attach. Duct tape maybe????
;-)

platato
09-13-03, 10:34 PM
We need a little help here from someone who has a Vette with an intact drivers side courtesy light. I'd like to have someone who has a BG car and someone else who has a STL car to respond. I know your out there come to our rescue

Platato :hb

Yoda
09-15-03, 02:20 PM
I checked Rare and the lamp is mounted in a plastic device that has a little rail that slides into a slot under the dash. Here is a scan from my assy. manual, hope it is clear enough.. I circled the lamp, it is identified as #5

Bud

Feltman
09-16-03, 09:46 AM
Roger that..mine is exactly where the assembly manual has it. It is easy to remove and install...just make sure you can work upside down...ha!

LannyL81
09-16-03, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the drawing from the assembly manual; have to take a closer look at mine and see if I can find where the light slides into.

My car is also a St. Louis build, so maybe this mating part was only in BG cars....

I like the duct tape idea....as I had my dash completly out and do not remember seeing any place that this lamp is going to fit into...

Thanks to everyone...

Lanny

:eyerole

platato
09-18-03, 08:30 PM
The more I know about the 1981 the more I realize that the BG cars are quite different from the St. Louis cars in some ways i.e. horn location, air dam bracket and it sounds like location of the courtesy lamp.

I recommended on another thread that it might help if we state where our cars were built when asking tech related questions. What do you guys think?

Also, if anyone could post some pics of the mounting of this lamp it would be very much appreciated.

STW! Platato :Steer