PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Disk brakes.

FRANKD
06-22-03, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know who has the best quality and price on rebuilt calipers. I just bought a '81 and the brakes are not the best. I owned a '80 back in 1985 and know that the brakes are a problem.

Richard Cooper
06-22-03, 05:54 PM
FrankD,
I used Auto Zone calipers on my 81. They have been on the car for 4 years now and no problems. They are not stainless steel, but I figured the originals lasted 20 years+ so what the heck. Their price was great too.

sixty9vette
06-23-03, 08:31 PM
I bought some new calipers from Vette Brakes. They have the o-ring piston seals and should last much longer than the stock lip-seal type. Less prone to air getting sucked into the calipers from rotor run-out. As far as I know, the Vette brakes calipers are as good as it gets for the C3 (without modifications).

Tom Bryant
06-24-03, 10:38 AM
I just put AC Delco stainless sleeved on the '81 this spring. Got them through the Chevy dealer where my wife works. Very high quality product. They cost a little more up front but the core charge was less and I didn't want to take the old ones off til I had the new ones there. Also with no shipping they cost about the same as most others and a little cheaper than some plus I had them overnight (the Delco jobber delivers to the shop daily if necessary).

Tom

cheeseral
06-27-03, 10:01 AM
All I did was rebuild mine with oring pistons and seals, it's cheap and worked like a charm, no problems in 4 years. Vette brakes sells the kits.

Good luck!

Tom Bryant
06-28-03, 12:25 AM
I have resealed them before too but mine were pitted pretty bad. Quite amazing considering that it has had silicone fluid in it since it was 1 year old.

Tom

Nut
07-02-03, 09:14 PM
Frank... I have VBP calipers on my '81 for over 15 years. They are unfortunately the old style lip-ring sleeved type but they have been pretty reliable needing only a rebuild kit every 2-3 years. I'd change up to the O-ring style if I had not had to modify the caliper housing to clear my old American Racing mag rims. Go with the o-ring style when you replace yours.

Good luck............... Nut

phxraptor
07-02-03, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by 81Chris
I bought some new calipers from Vette Brakes. They have the o-ring piston seals and should last much longer than the stock lip-seal type. Less prone to air getting sucked into the calipers from rotor run-out. As far as I know, the Vette brakes calipers are as good as it gets for the C3 (without modifications). ;stupid

MJBrown777
07-30-03, 12:56 PM
FrankD, I'm going through problems with my '81 brakes too. The rear two have been replaced (Autozone). Still have a problem with the brakes locking up after they get hot. Looks like I'll have to do the fronts too, OR I'm thinking it might be the flex lines too. Any advise would be helpful, thanks mike