PDA

View Full Version : How to test a stereo?

tonyk72
05-23-03, 08:04 AM
How could I "bench test" a car stereo? What could I used for a power source? Could I just wire the stereo to a car battery? I want to be able to prove that my car stereo works outside the car.
Thanks!

vette-dude
05-23-03, 08:09 AM
Yes. Be sure you have the speakers hooked up and you will need to plug in an attenna most likely. Be sure you hook up the pos and neg correctly or the unit will be toast.

Randy

JonM
05-23-03, 08:31 AM
Just hold it up to your ear like a "Conk Shell" ...You can hear the ocean...;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Just use any 12 volt battery...even your car battery will work---wire and aligator clips.

tonyk72
05-23-03, 10:16 AM
I'd also like to install a 2nd stereo behind the drivers seat and wire it to some speakers I'd install in the rear. I'm keeping the stock radio/speakers in the dash.

How would I power the 2nd unit & keep all the radio presets & keep it from draining the battery when the car isn't running?

81 Corvette
05-23-03, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by tonyk72
I'd also like to install a 2nd stereo behind the drivers seat and wire it to some speakers I'd install in the rear. I'm keeping the stock radio/speakers in the dash.

How would I power the 2nd unit & keep all the radio presets & keep it from draining the battery when the car isn't running?

Weird.

Most stereo's have two hot wires and 1 ground. The first hot wire powers the memory, and is always on. The second hot wire only has power when the ignigition is on. I would wire the new harness into the old one.

Isn't it going to be hard to change stations with the stereo behind you, or does it have a remote, plus you have to run two antenna wires.

Why not just replace the stock one, or get a cd deck that runs on an FM frequency.

tonyk72
05-26-03, 10:27 AM
My dad actually had a 12v batt. charger with a few different settings. I hooked up the radio to the chargers "trickle charge" setting...the radio worked, but there was an annoying hum coming through the speakers. I'm assuming that this was caused by the power source...
I've seen some noise suppression kits in the catalogs, I might pick one up just in case...

I'm bringing the 'vette into a custom sound shop tomorrow to get the aftermarket alarm uninstalled. I've always suspected that it's the source of lack/loss of power to the radio. It looks like the alarm is wired into the powersource for the radio.

Also going to explore the possibility of installing my 2nd stereo behind the drivers seat with a wired remote up front.