PDA

View Full Version : weather stripping

FRC99
02-10-03, 11:20 AM
Anybody out there,
My new (to me) FRC looks and drives great.
My question concerns care for of the weather stripping. I live in Florida and it gets pretty hot down here and the sun is very intense. My 94's weather stripping started to crack and lose its flexibility and I don't want the same to happen with the 99.
I install medical water systems and one of the products I use for o-rings and a thread lubricant is Dow Corning's high vacumn grease. I believe it is silicone based. The stuff is not cheap but I do have it available to me. The question is can I use this product on the weather stripping and the other rubber-like seals on the car.
I figure with all the knowledge out there someone has tried this type of thing before and I hope to gain some insight as to the results.
Thanks folks

JonM
02-10-03, 11:28 AM
Click here ...this is what I use...and its silicone based

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22487&highlight=weatherstripping

78SilvAnniv
02-10-03, 11:46 AM
I use the di-electric grease used for spark plugs. I imagine that any good silicone product would work well.
Is there a difference between silicone grease products? I suppose you could check the ingredients list on each to compare. If they are compatable, I'd use what you have readily available.

I grease my w/s about twice a year. You may wish to do yours more often in the FL heat.
Heidi

RubyDropTop
02-10-03, 12:58 PM
My car does it's fair share of car shows during the warmer months, so providing a UV barrier for the weatherstripping is very important to me as the car is exposed to the sun for many hours.

During the cooler/Winter months I really like to use a product called Gummi Phlege. It is produced by BMW and does a very nice job caring for the weatherstripping. It can typically be purchased at the Parts Counter at a BMW dealership. Cost is about $8.00.

While the Gummi Phlege is a great product, it does not offer any UV protection; for that purpose I apply 303 Aerospace protectant. The 303 Aerospace Protectant provides UV40 protection and a nice sheen. With this product applied to the weatherstripping, dash, door panels, door pulls, seatbacks, decklid vinyl, leather seats, console, etc., I feel comfortable with the car sitting in the sun for hours without being damaged. It provides a nice, natural finish - not greasy or cheap in appearance.

I've been using both products for the past 2 years - great stuff. :v