PDA

View Full Version : Crate Engines

Stallion
01-22-03, 10:08 PM
I was just giving crate engines some thought (saw an add for them in Corvette Fever). And I was wondering what the engines are really like. Of course, with the right one it can shell out some mean low-end torque and horsepower, but what do crate engines sound like? You know how a '71 LS6 has that nice, beauty and deep sound to it, what do crate engines sound like?

And not that it's such of a big deal with Corvettes, but what kind of mileage per gallons does your average crate engine get?

Thanks! :D

TR

78SilvAnniv
01-22-03, 11:23 PM
It does have a 4-bolt main, has decent power (more than I had with the tired L48) and I can get 20+mpg. Pretty darn good, I think!
Heidi

btw...I averaged about 18mpg with my tired old L48.

Mad-Mic
01-23-03, 09:38 AM
most crate engines are the short block only (less heads cam and intake) so if it is only a short block your looking at what ever you want to put in it. if it a long block these motors are usually on the mild side so they will last a good bit of miles but with a respectable amount of HP and Torque. the sound should be comparable to what you have now. a GM V-8 is a GM V-8 no matter if its made by GM edlebrock summit ect.

AmosF16
01-23-03, 09:53 AM
I put a ZZ4 crate motor in my 68 Camaro--I thought it sounded pretty good. Not too "lopey", but not so smooth that you didn't know it wouldn't run. And with 355 HP and 400 lb/ft it provided outstanding performance. Remember though that exhaust set-up is going to make a huge diff in how any motor sounds. Andy

Stallion
01-23-03, 12:12 PM
Okay, I see what you guys mean about crate engines. I would like to buy a Vette with a stock block, but with time I think I would be interested in buying a 2nd Vette and then just make it all custom with a crate engine and all.

Crate engines sound like a good way to go for engine replacement. Thanks! :D

TR

petroszz4
01-27-03, 12:59 AM
With the ZZ4 my average is 17 MPG

Stallion
01-27-03, 08:59 AM
That's pretty good. And all crate engines are fuel injected?

TR

petroszz4
01-27-03, 01:57 PM
I don't think all crate engines are fuel injected.I used a TPIS bigmouth intake with large tube runners, ported plenum and 52mm throttle body.

Stallion
01-27-03, 06:50 PM
So what you just listed there are pretty much the fuel injection and intake specs of the ZZ4? That sounds like quite a desireable crate engine. But then again, I don't know too much about crate engines. ;) :D

TR

oldace84
02-14-03, 02:04 AM
They are great....wish I could afford one......ZZ...Whatever...
I'd go for it....
tony

78SilvAnniv
02-14-03, 11:35 AM
I purchased mine as a long block.
I think all we had to do was drop it in, attach the belt driven stuff and slap the carb on top.
With a short block you can decide for yourself what intake you want in addition to the cam on the bottom end. I just wanted a complete engine, so I bought the long block.
Heidi