PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles on the Hood?

BigBrakeFuelie
01-19-03, 03:08 PM
This is probably a rookie question but I need to ask anyway.When I bought my Vette last June I had no bubbles on the hood at all.I put a coat of polish and Wax on the car in June.During the hot summer here in Sacramento bubbles started to appear on my hood.Now I already suspect a less than quality paint job.My question is does waxing it cause this at all?The reason I ask is because I put a coat on last week and noticed another bubble where there wasn`t one all winter.

Eric
01-19-03, 04:41 PM
Eeekeek! I hate it when I hear this! Take a deep breath, grab a strong drink and then click here to read an old thread that is going to break your heart. (http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3118) If that's not enough, here's another. (http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15330)

All in all, it's more common than it should be and it usually all boils (pun intended) to a lack of attention to detail when painting except for the A/C condensor issue.

Oh, and as for your waxxing question, your wax really had nothing at all to do with the problem. It was going to happen wax or no wax once the sun baked the glass a little.:(

Best of luck and hope all turns out ok.

BigBrakeFuelie
01-19-03, 07:10 PM
71 Shark thanks for the info.The bubbles are only on the hood nowhere else.If it is oil trapped inside there`s nothing I can really do.I`ve been planning on getting my Vette painted next year anyway.My main concern will be to find a quality shop in my area that will do the job right.
Would it be an option to just have the hood removed and prepped and then repainted?Would they be able to match the color closed enough to not notice?Just weighing my options.

Eric
01-19-03, 11:21 PM
Paint matching has become a pretty near perfect science these days. They have these little light meter thingamabobs they put on your car to get the tint and stuff. Had my Monte keyed last year and only two panels were painted and I dare anyone to tell me which ones, and that's on a silver car to boot. One word of caution, when they take the old paint off of the hood, if it is oil and not water you may as well buy a new hood cause it will come back.

-Eric:w

BigBrakeFuelie
01-20-03, 12:09 AM
Yeah I was thinking about just buying a new hood too.The rest of my Vette`s paint looks pretty sharp.Not Show Car quality but plenty good for a driver.Maybe going the hood route would be an option.Thanks.BBF:)