PDA

View Full Version : Deal on Low/Light Floor Jack

Hijinx
01-19-03, 12:23 AM
I was over at Harbor Freight today and picked up this floor jack;

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47246

I'll tell you, it looks to be worth evey dime. The best part is that fits under the nose of my Vette and only weighs 37 lbs!!!

At the Dallas (Richardson) store they had it on for $169 with a manditory $20, 15 month full replacement maintenance policy. The closest thing I have found to it was over $400, most are upwards of $600. It comes well boxed and is really nicer than the pictures show.

I already had two floor jacks, but neither would fit under the front of my Vette. I am really impressed with the construction of this one.

Check it out.

MaineShark
01-19-03, 01:31 AM
Only 37 pounds? How are you supposed to get a workout, that way? :)

Joe

Eric
01-19-03, 11:48 AM
Costco/Price Club carries the same model, if memory serves correctly they wanted somewhere in the 170-180 neighborhood. Of course with Costco, you never know what's going to be there and how long it will be in stock.

Jack
01-19-03, 01:07 PM
The circle track race teams-shop I help on weekends have bought several of the lite aluminum HF jacks since HF started selling them just a coupla months ago. At $200 suggested retail they're a great bang for the buck. We got them right at very end of season so little opportunity for real-time & real-world evaluation. They seem to work pretty well. I noted one prob at our final race at Myrtle beach. The handle is two-piece (good) ... but the snap-button to separate the two was very balky & cost a minute or two & I gave up and used another jack w/ shorty handle (we were doing that mid-race mandatory stop ... had to stop along the pit-out ... all trucks were diagonally parked VERY close ... so needed shorty jack). Also, if I recall, it's a 6-pump jack ... so not so fast ... most young crew like 3 or less. Six is ok w/ me cause I'm a aging wimp. Also, the handle has a big OD ... probably ok for most but I got small hands. Also, the side plates & main lift arm are CAST aluminum. The High$ jacks use plate or forged or machined billet. Anyway, ya get what ya pay for, still at $200 I think they're a good buy. In general, I think most of HF's stuff is junk ... but this one's ok for the money. I don't think you'll see any cup or busch teams trusting it. I haven't trried it on a vette ... it should fit just fine ... and should work quite well for DIY use.
JACK:gap

Hijinx
01-19-03, 07:21 PM
Used the jack for the first time today. It lifts quickly. I had the Vette up in about two to three pumps. The only bad thing is that while it fits under the front, I cant get the handle high enough to pump it up. Maybe I need a phenumadic pump!

Ken
01-19-03, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Hijinx
... bad thing is that while it fits under the front, I cant get the handle high enough to pump it up.

Can't get it high enough to pump at all, to pump the full stroke and take advantage of the quick pump-up feature, or can only pump a little at a time until the nose gets high enough to get more stroke into the pump? :confused

I get stuff from HF all the time. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Hijinx
01-19-03, 09:19 PM
The way it is built, or maybe there is an adjustment, it will only go up if you lift the handle to the very top and then down. My other floor jacks will pump up marginally with a partial lever, but not this one. Again, I have not looked to see if I can adjust that.

Ken
01-19-03, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Jack
01-21-03, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Hijinx
The way it is built, or maybe there is an adjustment, it will only go up if you lift the handle to the very top and then down. My other floor jacks will pump up marginally with a partial lever, but not this one. Again, I have not looked to see if I can adjust that.

Hijinx:
I checked an HF jack last nite in shop. It pumps up from any handle position. Maybe something's wrong w/ yours. Just to make sure, I was checking one of those $200 lite aluminum race jacks from HF (what this thread's about I think) ... is branded "US General." BTW, I checked the 2-piece handle-release button on this particular jack ... this one released OK.
JACK:gap