PDA

View Full Version : Anti freeze

82RL
01-15-03, 03:37 PM
What are your opinions on the green antifreeze vs the orange antifreeze
in later model cars.

Ken
01-15-03, 04:18 PM
This subject, especially the green vs orange discussions, come up all the time. Here is a list of threads covering this very subject: anti-freeze (http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=86155&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending).

tntcorvette
01-15-03, 04:20 PM
I use green antifreeze and distilled water. 50/50 in the winter and like 70/30 (water/antifreeze)

Vanity Plate Bob
01-23-03, 01:40 PM
I understand they DO NOT mix. Put the green in with the orange and it dies.
How about changing the anti freeze after x amt of time or miles.
89 Grand Am needed head work and it was said it could have been avoided if the anti freeze had been changed. ?????

JohnZ
01-23-03, 07:06 PM
The real issue with the Dexcool (orange) stuff is that if it's used in a cooling system that has previously had conventional (green) anti-freeze, they don't guarantee the "long-life" portion of its performance, as the remaining organic salts from the green stuff react with the additive package in the Dexcool and reduce its effectiveness (and it tells you that on the container).

Best bet for an existing car is to use the conventional green anti-freeze at the recommended 50-50 mix and flush/replace it every two years, especially if you have an aluminum radiator - they can't be repaired, and are expensive to replace. Every new car's owner's manual says to replace the anti-freeze every two years, but almost nobody ever does that. The "anti-freeze" part of any coolant (green or orange) is simple chemistry, and seldom deteriorates to any degree; what's really important is the anti-corrosion additive package - that's the portion that degrades over time as it does its job and needs to be replaced, thus the two-year flush/refill recommendation.

Stay away from the "environmentally-friendly" propylene glycol-based coolants (like "Sierra" brand, etc.); our OEM testing has shown them to be about 10% less effective for heat transfer than ethylene glycol-based coolants, and the last thing your Corvette needs (with its marginal cooling system to begin with) is reduced heat transfer efficiency.
:beer

Vanity Plate Bob
02-18-03, 01:03 AM
I hear there is another new a-freeze so make sure you follow manuf recommendation for proper one.

Also there is a recommended time for draining and changing of
a-freeze that is critical.

Vanity Plate Bob
02-21-03, 07:23 PM
I believe an engine runs cooler with anti freeze.
Do not put all anti freeze in the system, at least some kinds, without some water. Mix per instructions.

One container read ""PLEASE"" Do it our way first"
Also as pointed out on another list do not run an engine without a thermostat. Especially the later ones with alum. heads.
Years, years, years ago they did run cast iron engines without t-stats. Did it hurt them any??
At that time I believe b4 antifreeze, alcohol was used. It boiled at a lower temp.
In the early years of anti freeze Zerex would leak where Preston would not. So I'm told. Not sure where the leak would be but gaskets were not of the greatest quality.

Edmond
03-03-03, 11:18 PM
Our local Home Depot has the green stuff on sale at $1.99/gallon. I picked up 10 of them last week.

oldace84
03-07-03, 08:56 AM
Whichever you use.....always use DISTILLED water.
FYI
tony

Interceptor430
03-07-03, 09:31 AM
Yep...spend the extra 79 cents per gallon and buy/use the distilled water. :w