PDA

View Full Version : Battery charger question

DWC
11-28-02, 05:58 PM
This may be a dumb question, but I recently bought a trickle charger from the Corvette Museum.

Does it hurt to leave the battery hooked up all the time? I drive my car about once a week. This new charger is designed to shut itself on and off as it registers the need. I like the idea of keeping the battery fresh but don't want to do any damage. What do you think?

Rabbit
11-28-02, 07:43 PM
Shud be no problem. Thats what their designed to do. If anything it will extend the life of your battery, according to the experts. Was thinking about getting one myself as, like you, I'm only able to drive once a week or so.:grinshot

Ken
11-28-02, 08:23 PM
I moved this to General Tech where maybe it'll be more visible to all. ;)

In answer (sort of) to your question; I don't trust leaving anything plugged in for an extended period of time, but that's just old habits of mine I think. It goes back to the early days of electricity and a guy I knew, maybe you've heard of him--Ben Franklin? Eccentric old gent, I knew him well. :L

As has been already stated, it shouldn't hurt to leave it trickle-charging if that is what it was designed to do.

I'd check the manufacturer's warranty just to be sure that you are covered in the event your battery ever gives you problems while under said warranty.

_ken :w

JOV
11-28-02, 09:12 PM
When I know that I am not going to drive my C5 for awhile I just plug-in my trickle charger and forget about it. It does not hurt anything and as the battery charge comes up mine automaticly shuts off. On a extended period of time if the voltage drops, the charger comes back on and the cycle starts over again, that way my battery is always fully charged when I take her out on the road !!!! :s :bang

Rob
11-28-02, 11:13 PM
I have a similar type of charger to the Battery Tender. It turns itself on and off automatically. I have left it hooked up to the car for up to 4 months at a time without a problem.

JohnZ
11-29-02, 02:17 PM
A genuine "Battery Tender" can be left connected full-time, as it has a microprocessor-controlled "float charge" mode that senses full charge and only charges when the battery is at less than full charge. Ordinary inexpensive "trickle chargers" should NOT be left connected, as they just continue charging at a low level, and will eventually fry the battery.

My cars are down for the winter for five months every year, in the garage, and I put a "Battery Tender" on each of them once a month - takes about 24 hours for the green light to come on when they're at full charge again.

This is particularly important with "restoration batteries", as they're "old-tech" inside; one deep-cycle discharge and the plates sulfate, and they're history - won't accept a charge again. I don't use them or recommend them - most last a year, or two at the most.

DWC
11-29-02, 08:53 PM
Thanks fellows for the responses. I think I will also just put my own once in a while until it charges back up to full charge. I am hesitant to be too trusting of the device though I know it is designed to be hooked up for long periods of time. Your input has been very helpful to me.