PDA

View Full Version : Rattle

Justin_cv87
11-10-02, 12:16 AM
I hear so much how Corvettes rattle because of a cheap dashboard and stuff like that. Why doesnt Chevy just make them cost a bit more and fix the dashboard. would you pay for your dash board to be fixed? because i would. besides the rattles, the Corvette is perfect, and that is somthing to say, that you own the perfect car, not i own a near perfect car becuase of a cheap dash board that causes strange rattleing sounds. And is there some kind of alterternitive dashboard you could put in the vette? or is it other stuff too?

Geof180
11-10-02, 01:18 AM
my fam has an 89 - and it does rattle... but i think this might stem from the previous owner not taking proper care of it before i got my hands on it... over the years. i was able to tighten things down...this made a huge difference...

my 96 does not rattle... and i know plently of people who have corvettes that do not rattle....

maybe the rattling, though, comes from the tight suspensions..?? just a thought... repeated shock loadings will fatigue anything faster than softer, damped loads...

or maybe i am wrong altogether with my little theory here...

wait.... you say geof - ferraris have racing suspensions too, do they rattle as well?? i do not have a specific answer to your question here.... remember these cars are not mass produced in the volumes the mighty corvette is....

in my opinion, for what the general has, they are doing a great job....

Geof

Dad
11-10-02, 01:21 AM
Well you heard wrong, with 33,000 on mine it has no rattles, the 72 has some in the passenger door but that just started this year with 64,000 on it. Now in the days of the solid axle, that's a different story.

I have a die cast model on the freg that rattles when it falls off, is that what your talking about?

Justin_cv87
11-11-02, 01:05 PM
my 96 does not rattle

Well you heard wrong, with 33,000 on mine it has no rattles

Ahh, comforting words. :)

BlackNBlue95
12-02-02, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Geof180

my 96 does not rattle... and i know plently of people who have corvettes that do not rattle....

maybe the rattling, though, comes from the tight suspensions..?? just a thought... repeated shock loadings will fatigue anything faster than softer, damped loads...

or maybe i am wrong altogether with my little theory here...
Geof

My 95 doesn't rattle, and your theory is correct stiff suspension setups are harsh on the car.. it helps shake all those little fasterners for the interior trim loose and such..

As for ferrari who cares.. they cost more then I would say their worth.. I'd pick a vette over one anyday...

-Rick