PDA

View Full Version : FYI: SBC damper timing mark locations

Jack
11-06-02, 01:07 AM
Ive seen this questioned & wondered myself ... compiled this from data @ Superior Chevrolet of Merriam, KS.

This does not refer to modern-era LT1, LT4, ZR1 or other sbc that have a damper that bolts to a hub.

SBC harmonic balancer/damper timing mark locations:

1968 & earlier timing mark is 2 before keyway center line.

1969 & later timing mark is 10 before keyway center line.

JACK:gap

JohnZ
11-06-02, 04:15 PM
And the fun part is that lots of folks don't know this, and use the wrong timing cover, then can't understand why they can't set their timing (pre-69 balancer with post-'69 timing cover and vice versa - see it all the time!) - posts are usually titled "Why can't I set my timing?" :)

Jack
11-07-02, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by JohnZ
And the fun part is that lots of folks don't know this, and use the wrong timing cover, then can't understand why they can't set their timing (pre-69 balancer with post-'69 timing cover and vice versa - see it all the time!) - posts are usually titled "Why can't I set my timing?" :)

;stupid Yep ... I see a lotta exactly what you id'd (wrong tab-damper combo) ... that's why I thought this info might help. Annoying thing about this 8 difference ... it's close enough that it'll run ... but crappy ... root cause easily overlooked.
JACK:gap