PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the C7 Tailights Look like the Camaro Tail Lights ??

Rob
01-15-13, 11:18 AM
So? What do you think?

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12291&d=1358266696

XLR8
01-15-13, 11:33 AM
I don't think so. I didn't like the Camaro tail lights the first time I saw a new one. . . not to criticize those who do, they just weren't my cup of tea. But I like the rear fascia on the new C7. . . to me the different components come together to create an edgy, aggressive look worthy of the name Corvette.

I can't wait to see one up close and personal! :happyanim:
:wJane Ann

LT4man
01-15-13, 11:37 AM
No, I do not think they look similar at all.

I like the C7 tail lights. As Jane Ann said, edgy & aggressive.

:w

Tuna
01-15-13, 11:38 AM
There's a family resemblance but they are definitely not the same.

LLC5
01-15-13, 11:48 AM
They had better look very similar, or GM styling and marketing didn't do their job correctly. :)

The runny mascara around the tail lights doesn't help them any. Hopefully they help sales.

SnakeDr
01-15-13, 12:21 PM
They had better look very similar, or GM styling and marketing didn't do their job correctly. :)

The runny mascara around the tail lights doesn't help them any. Hopefully they help sales.

Good point. It's like the car has two faces; front and rear. Both faces have a mean look.

LT4CE
01-15-13, 12:34 PM
Similar? Yes, stylistically.

Identical? Nope.

The question is do they look "like" Camaro tail lights. I think most would say yes.

It's impossible to do, but if there were any way to look at them objectively (meaning take the Camaro issue out of it) I wonder, if based strictly on their own merit, most would like them or not?

For instance, what if these had come out first on the Corvette, then Camaro had its tailights rolled out a couple years later? We'd all view it as Chevy keeping the Camaro as a Corvette-wannabe type of car. Oh look, Chevy made a Camaro with baby Corvette tailights! :rotfl

That's the problem... these Corvette tailights have come out *after* the Camaro's. (there's the DUH statement of the decade!) In a perfect world, it would have (should have) been the other way around. In the past, I haven't noticed all Chevy cars having similar tailights, so why couldn't they come up with something new for the new Corvette?

Now, after all that long-windy-ness, I have to say that when taken as a whole, the rear design is growing on me, already. That didn't take long! :v

:Steer Save the Wave!

AV8R
01-15-13, 12:57 PM
Wow… did my posting of the comparison of rear ends spawn this poll?

I don't think it matters much, as beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
If you like the Vette no matter what, it won't stop you from buying one.
If the butt end is too Carmaro to be a Vette; then buy a C6.

Didn't the old Camaros also have a coke-body style and similar instrument dash?
Popup lamps too, just done differently.

Kinda like the chicken or the egg…
Just in this case, we can tell which came first with the butt design.

Similar designs to please different pocket book target markets. Both classic.
Just whatever you do… BUY A VETTE

8)))

Ghost
01-15-13, 01:30 PM
Chevrolet has always had "family" design cues, like the bar across the grill opening. I like the design. I stated in another thread that folks probably hated the first coupe in 1963, and then, gasp, factory air conditioning later in 63... Just ruined the car... :D

jmhorn52
01-15-13, 01:32 PM
I think there is a similar style to the tailights. They arent exactly the same I would have preferred the typical round tailights but with the new edgy styling of the corvette I dont think it would have fit as well. Change can be hard to accept but I think Chevy pulled it off great

AV8R
01-15-13, 01:53 PM
Chevrolet has always had "family" design cues, like the bar across the grill opening. I like the design. I stated in another thread that folks probably hated the first coupe in 1963, and then, gasp, factory air conditioning later in 63... Just ruined the car... :D

on that thought…
my 1974 coupe is probably the only one Ive seen without a/c and has that "astro venting", out here in California anyways. To make it more "hot", its triple black. But I like it hot. Truth be told, I brought it out with me when I moved from the East to the West coast decades ago. No SMOG on it either. Fortunately it just slips under the 1975 or newer must have SMOG law here.

Rob
01-15-13, 02:35 PM

I don't think it matters much, as beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
If you like the Vette no matter what, it won't stop you from buying one.
If the butt end is too Carmaro to be a Vette; then buy a C6.

Didn't the old Camaros also have a coke-body style and similar instrument dash?
Popup lamps too, just done differently.

Kinda like the chicken or the egg…
Just in this case, we can tell which came first with the butt design.

Similar designs to please different pocket book target markets. Both classic.
Just whatever you do… BUY A VETTE

8)))

Nope. Not your post. Just a lot of the feedback I've read here and elsewhere on the web. I wanted to build an image of both rear ends so that you could see the similarities or disimilarities. In my opinion when you see both cars in person, there is no resembance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jims427400
01-15-13, 03:04 PM
I think GM did a great job at creating the new model.Front and rear.Even the interior in my eyes looks awsome from all the pics that Rob has posted. Are the tail lights similar, all I can say is that they're not round, but I'll get used to them.And If they can do all that and keep it close to the $50K target, I'm definitely interested. Great job Chevrolet!!
My only problem is the Wife told me one has to go before I can even think about a C7.

Jim

Nope. Not your post. Just a lot of the feedback I've read here and elsewhere on the web. I wanted to build an image of both rear ends so that you could see the similarities or disimilarities. In my opinion when you see both cars in person, there is no resembance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Mac
01-15-13, 05:47 PM
You and about half of the others who posted about the new 2014 Stingray... ;)

-Mac

gmjunkie
01-16-13, 08:14 AM

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11584&d=1142138314 http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11584&d=1142138314 :thumb

2VettesMike
01-16-13, 01:39 PM
As for the C7 I love it and so does my wife who drives anything with a clutch. I think the DNA is visually still there but they have definitely took the design in a fresh direction inside and out. This is coming from a C3 and C4 owner and a C6 wanttobe owner.

Every generation change I have tracked from the C4 in 1983 has grips from the previous generations owners like that will make their older ones worth more. Heck they are all great in my mind, just some better than others in terms of features and styling which is a personal taste item. I never quite liked the C5's with the small nose/big butt look. They tamed that with the C6 which is a better visual design to me.

I have been reading on a few of the forums and most of the grips are about the rear end and the Camaro style taillights. I guess they haven't bother to go back to 1962 and compare the Biscayne to the C2, back to 70 and compare the C3 to the Camaro, back to 1990's and compare the Impala to the C6, you get the idea.

Thanks,

Mike

dcsteg
01-16-13, 04:03 PM
The rear tail lights fit the flow of the rear fascia. Horizontal in design and blend with the air vents. Round tail lights wouldn't cut it.

Why are we knocking this car. It's a fresh kick you in the teeth design.

I surmise when we get to put our hands on this car and drive it there won't be one person that will kick it to the curb and say they don't like it.

I drive a C6 Carbon and am not ready to give it up. In my opinion a sinister and cool Vette. In two years I will revisit this Corvette. By then all bugs will have disappeared and there should be several performance engine options to compliment the base engine plus body mods and cool colors.

Just my opinion guys. I respect yours.

Likarok
01-16-13, 04:31 PM
They are what they are but to me they cheapen the look of the whole car.

Other that the rear I totally love the rest of the Car!

AV8R
01-17-13, 06:46 PM
This guy did a nice makeover

Toms007
01-17-13, 07:43 PM
The idea that one draws styling from the other isn't new, or even a bad idea, in my opinion. They share DNA, right? Why is it a problem that they share similar features?
I don't get what the problem is???? The idea that it cheapens the Corvette, doesn't hold water IMO.

1983 Camaro

1984 Corvette

Coyne
01-18-13, 05:32 PM
So? What do you think?

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12291&d=135826669612379

Coyne
01-18-13, 05:53 PM

LLC5
01-18-13, 10:04 PM

That's a lot better. Try losing the mascara if it's possible (I'm assuming that you are photoshopping). :)

Toms007
01-19-13, 09:52 AM
The round ones look good, but the more I look at the new ones the more I like them. ;shrug

6 Shooter
01-20-13, 08:40 AM
http://cdn.motinetwork.net/demotivationalposters.net/image/demotivational-poster/1002/do-these-pants-too-much-ass-even-for-culos-demotivational-poster-1266228485.jpg

LT4man
01-20-13, 09:02 AM
The enrollment at Stupid School (not yet accredited as a university) continues to increase. More trees will have to be cut down (keeps the Ax Men series going!) to supply the paper for diplomas.

Of all the folks who have an issue with the tail lights, I wonder how many of them are in the position of actually purchasing one.

As I have said previously, more for me to choose from.

:w

Z07
01-20-13, 01:47 PM
It's time to move on about the tailights. Like anything else new, they'll grow on you. Didn't the second generation Camaro get it's tailight design from the same guy that did the C-3? Maybe they've just come complete circle?

retgi
01-20-13, 02:25 PM
I was disappointed when I first saw the tail end of the C7 because it looked so much like a camero and I have never liked the camero! Not to worry though because I certainly won't be in line for this generation vette. I'll stick with a C5 or C6 for the time being.....

AK Drop Top
01-20-13, 02:30 PM
Ya know Coyne may be on to something. The round tail lights run with the round exhaust and if the body color of the rear facia was to remain one color and eliminate the "mascara" (lol) it might look hot! :beer

Kool Lou
01-20-13, 08:04 PM
The new 2014 Corvette is a beautiful machine and the change in the tail lights to have the look of a Camaro is a change for the better just like we have seen the early Corvettes go from tear drop shapes in the 1957 to the 1959 and then to a boat tail rear with round lights.
The one thing that makes a Corvette a Corvette is being a (2) seater auto and it's unique fiberglas body otherwise a Camaro shares a lot of Corvette's mechanicals.:cool!:

Kool Lou
01-20-13, 08:12 PM
That's a lot better. Try losing the mascara if it's possible (I'm assuming that you are photoshopping). :)
I believe that after the 2014 Corvette is released for sale there will be a after market round taillights unit that can replace the stock square taillights if a owner wants this and willing to pay the cost.:D:D

jrose7004
01-20-13, 09:04 PM
They look too much like Camaro tail lights for my taste.

Mike85mph
01-20-13, 09:06 PM
Everyone wants it too look different, but they also want it to look the same. GM has taken some bold strokes here in styling. I personally like it and note some similarity to the Camaro tail lights, but that's about it. The rear end taken as a whole is definitely different, and I personally like it very much. I can see Nissan 370, Nissan GTR, and Ferrari cues all over it too, and I still like it.

73shark
01-21-13, 12:40 AM
The poll only asked if you think the C7 taillites look like the new Camaro's, not did you like them. Personally I think they blend in w/ the overall design. Also I find nothing to like about the new Camaro.

The large, black lower fascia really turns me off. Must be some foreign exotic that employs this design.

bscot968
01-21-13, 01:05 AM
While there may be a very slight family resemblance, the whole car is such a bold modern design as to make such arguments specious. Anyone who would make a change after purchase to round or retro like tail lights will just be detracting from the whole. Rather reminds me of the guys that cut the divider from the rear window of the '63. I actually see more of a earlier concept 'vette (sorry, can't remember which one) than I see Camaro. The whole car is so amazing I really don't understand the haters that seem to be overly fixated on the tail lights, but to each their own. For me this is a thoroughly modern, bad ass new Corvette, from the extractor to the tail lights, and everything between. I love it, all of it.

Mike85mph
01-21-13, 01:05 PM
The poll only asked if you think the C7 taillites look like the new Camaro's, not did you like them. Personally I think they blend in w/ the overall design. Also I find nothing to like about the new Camaro.

The large, black lower fascia really turns me off. Must be some foreign exotic that employs this design.

"The poll only asked if you think the C7 taillites look like the new Camaro's." Since you pointed that out, neither did it ask what you thought of the black lower fascia... just sayin'.

Rob
01-21-13, 02:06 PM
Ok ok...lets not quibble over brass tacks... :eyerole

AV8R
01-21-13, 02:27 PM
Whether or not the butt looks like the Camaro or not is kinda moot isn't it…

Like they are going to go change them at this point. It is what it is (for now anyways).
What it might do, is open up an aftermarket business. Think of the possibilities.

What GMC could have done, was come ask for a poll like this to the Vette community BEFORE they finalized a design.
But that would require listening to the most knowledgable and vested customer base. Aim Fire Ready!

:eyerole x 2

pairofjacks1
01-23-13, 06:02 PM
In fact, what I see is a suggestion of that hockey stick thing going on in the front running lights of the new Vette. If I'm right, you'll be able to identify this thing coming at you or running away from you in the dark, no problem. And, yes, it does have an attitude.

E. J.
01-23-13, 06:59 PM
I don't care if the look like they came off a Yugo? I love them.

Which ones do everyone think look like Camaro's. The C7's inners have a different shape than the outers.

HID, indirect, reflective tail lights. Who else on the planet did that? Even George Barris, or Chip Foose never dreamed up anything that cool. :happyanim:

Blue260
01-31-13, 02:29 PM
No:blah

John 511
01-31-13, 06:15 PM
They sure look like twins to me.

1analguy
02-05-13, 12:21 PM
Do they look identical? Well...no, but the Camaro setup was very obviously the starting point for the C7 design team. I am not saying that this is a good or a bad thing...it just is. However, I don't understand why, if they needed a jumping off point for inspiration, they didn't start with...oh...say...a Corvette design (for continuity's sake...and no, I don't mean necessarily "round" lights, either)...rather than a Camaro. When they did decide to pick another car for tail light inspiration, why did they choose the Corvette's cheaper sibling? Just for my own curiosity, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during that discussion.

To all those who think that anyone is nuts for being able to see Camaro ancestry in the C7 tail lights, I would remind you that we don't understand why you can't see it. As one of the "can-see-it" group, I do recognize the Camaro origin of the design of the lights, but the finished design doesn't look the same to me, either. The prevailing attitude among the "can't-see-it" crowd seems to be that, when viewing the two cars directly from the rear, they are, over all, easily distinguishable from one another...so there can be no connection between the two. This attitude suggests an inability or an unwillingness to recognize nuanced similarities. So, we must agree to disagree...

With all the moaning that I've done about this car, I still have no complaint about the shape of the tail lights. I do feel that the inner lights should have been the same size as the outer lights, and that the black trim around the lights is a huge, garish mistake. The back end is too busy already and with that black tail light trim, it's way-the-hell too busy...JMO

LLC5
02-05-13, 02:58 PM
When they did decide to pick another car for tail light inspiration, why did they choose the Corvette's cheaper sibling? Just for my own curiosity, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during that discussion.

That was a purely intentional marketing decision made by GM to help Corvette sales. :)

1analguy
02-06-13, 03:00 AM
That was a purely intentional marketing decision made by GM to help Corvette sales. :)

Sarcasm? I know it would not make me feel any more special knowing the tail lights on my fancy new Corvette were cribbed from a Camaro...

John 511
02-06-13, 07:37 AM
I wonder if any of you talented artists out there could draw up a model, with round tai lights so we could see what it might look like.

Rob
02-06-13, 07:55 AM
I wonder if any of you talented artists out there could draw up a model, with round tai lights so we could see what it might look like.
I grabbed the attachments below off the web. Scroll over them to open up a larger view:

Vettelt193
02-06-13, 09:13 AM
My guess is they made the Camaro-like so we'd complain about them instead of the huge black plastic looking thing on the bottom half of the bumper. ;)

I don't mind the shape of the lights or going away from round ones... I think they look so similar because they both seem to have a lower half bezel. I think if they framed them differently (bezel all the way around, or none at all) they wouldn't look similar.

Overall the car has finally taken some aggressive cues again and will set the bar for other cars. The first time since the C4 came out that this is the case. Both the C5 and C6 were not leaders in the design aspect.

John 511
02-06-13, 09:46 AM
I grabbed the attachments below off the web. Scroll over them to open up a larger view:
This is a very good comparison. Lets put it to a vote.

73shark
02-06-13, 06:59 PM
Tail lites don't bug me nearly as much as the lower half.

Tony Alonso
02-07-13, 12:42 PM

The mascara are vents. I think you would want to keep those around so they exhaust heat.

1analguy
02-07-13, 07:52 PM
The vents can stay...it's the black trim on the vents and the lights that is ruining the whole tail light treatment. It's probably news to the Corvette design team, but all of the vents on the car could have been body color...

WhalePirot
02-20-13, 12:55 PM
Surely round tail lights can be vented!

I prefer the round redo, evenly mounted, not the Nissan-looking, vertically staggered. Perhaps not as edgy, but one could make a marketing case for them, given the retro craze (even if it is fading) or a nod to tradition of, and continuity from, past Corvettes.

Not being a fan of mascara heavily applied............ well, it's been said.:w

cadguymark
02-20-13, 07:35 PM
Since I love the look of the C6, mine is 100% stock and there isn't anything about it I don't like, seeing the C7 for the first time was a bit of a shock and I was not particularly liking it. But the more I see it, the more I like it. I like the fact that GM got rid of the pop up headlights on the C6, and I am liking the fact they got rid of round tailights on the C7, it just wouldn't look right and both changes make the Vette look more modern. I will for sure buy one in about 2-3 years.

The one thing I have not yet been fond of is the exhaust, I would like it if it were just one large opening in the present shape surrounding the four pipes.

LLC5
02-20-13, 09:00 PM
The mascara are vents. I think you would want to keep those around so they exhaust heat.

You can do the vents without mascara, not an issue......:)

1analguy
02-21-13, 01:41 AM
...Not being a fan of mascara heavily applied............ well, it's been said.:w

:werd: Nothing looks more "ghetto-trash" than too much mascara...

Ugolino
02-23-13, 12:13 AM
I'm not half as surprised by the Camaroesque taillights as I am the size of the lower fascia, which comprises half of the area of the bumper; with each generation it seems to be getting bigger. Will the rear of the C8 be one giant fascia? This is why I don't like the spoiler, it makes the back end of the car even bigger and taller than it already is, it's quite an eyesore. And no one will ever convince me that a spoiler is functional, if it were an item which prevented cars from flying off the road due to "downforce", then it would be a government requirement for all cars.

I know I'll get ribbed for this, but the whole vent-hole thing seems silly. Most people will never drive the car hard enough for those vents to actually do them any good. The hood vent is kind of goofy-looking, as I have a hard time believing that the gigantic side vents won't already do a more than adequate job of cooling the engine bay.

And I can already hear reviewers complaining about the restricted rear view from the drivers seat. Like everyone else, I've looked at pictures of the C7 for over a month now, and I'm not in love with it. The front and sides are really cool, but the back is so odd-looking. And you know what, the interior, to me, is sort of ho-hum; I am looking at a pic of the interior as I am typing this, and it seems quite plain in some areas, for example around the console touch screen. I'm sure the interior of the production model will look much better.

I don't really feel like I have to have this car, the way I felt about the C6 when it came out. I am hoping that the car will grow on me over time, I'm sure it will be a blast to drive. For years, as I drove around in my quiet, reliable, comfortable, powerful, good-looking C6, I kept thinking how they could possibly make the Corvette any better than it is. Well, when you can't improve on something, you make it different, and that's exactly what the exterior styling of the C7 is: different. Different is good, it sells cars, so I get that. But beauty is timeless, and I think the shape of the C6 is a work of art. I hope the C7 will redefine "beauty".

73shark
02-23-13, 01:36 AM
The hood vent is kind of goofy-looking, as I have a hard time believing that the gigantic side vents won't already do a more than adequate job of cooling the engine bay.

While I agree w/ most of what you're saying, the hood vent for the radiator flow does make sense because it keeps the hot air out of the engine compartment. That's of course assuming they did it right w/ shrouding and seals. ;)

catbert
02-23-13, 07:30 PM
Venting air over the forward slanted horizontal hood is part of the aero package providing a lot of adjustable downforce. It's been a racing sports car staple since the 60's.

Evolution1980
02-25-13, 04:19 PM
I'm wishy-washy on this. Originally, I would have given a solid "YES!", but now...it's more "ehhh".
Is there a similarity? Well, if you say "yes" because there are a pair on either side of the bumper and they are both non-circles, then there is a similarity. But objectively speaking, there's just as much or just as little similarity to the taillights on a C6 and a 2005 Chevy Impala, but no one was crying foul there.

As others have stated indirectly or otherwise, I think only an ignorant eye would truly confuse the two cars from the rear, regardless if it's day or night.
So in that capacity, while there are or are not similarities based on personal criteria, as long as the two cars can't be mistaken, it's not a serious concern of mine.

On a more humorous note, I want to go into the Camaro forums and start crying foul about "...those bastard Corvette designers stealing our beloved Camaro's design cues!!! :mad"

:L

1analguy
02-28-13, 01:46 PM
While I agree w/ most of what you're saying, the hood vent for the radiator flow does make sense because it keeps the hot air out of the engine compartment. That's of course assuming they did it right w/ shrouding and seals. ;)

They did do it right with shrouding, seals, etc. However, "hot" air from the radiator is actually cool... when compared to the heat coming off of the exhaust manifolds. They only vented the radiator air (well, about 1/3 of it anyway) through the hood to cut down on front end lift, as catbert correctly pointed out.

73shark
02-28-13, 07:25 PM
I didn't realize they only vented a third of the air 'til I read an article the other day. Thought it would be like the Shelby w/ the Aurora V8 that I watched being built at their factory about ten years ago. I think it vented 100%.

1analguy
03-03-13, 08:19 PM
That Shelby has to have the largest hood vent on any street vehicle in automotive history. Thanks to you, now I know why.

As another question regarding air flow and amounts of such, I noticed that only the center 1/3 of the grill is actually open to air flow. The rest of the grill is blocked off/fake. That's not much grill area to provide all the cooling, so I'm wondering if the C7 actually draws some of its radiator air from underneath...like some earlier Corvettes...

73shark
03-03-13, 08:48 PM
If you're ever in Las Vegas, it's an interesting tour. Been a couple of times.