PDA

View Full Version : Help! In need of advice from C6 expert body technician

2 Timer
06-27-12, 11:24 PM
I'm sick to my stomach. My new 2013 GS with only 600 miles was hit in the front bumper today. The damage is to the paint but thankfully will not require parts replacement. I can provide pictures and further details to anyone who is experienced and specializes in C6 repairs. The front bumper will need to be removed to properly repair and refinish it. Can anyone tell me what is involved in removing the bumper so that it can be repaired and refinished off the car. Thank you in advance for your advice. Greg;help

catbert
07-05-12, 08:48 AM
Why do you say the bumper will have to be removed? Not that it's a big deal to take it off.

67vet
07-05-12, 10:27 AM
Can't help you with details for removal of your front bumper Greg. :ugh But I can offer you my condolences.

Hope everything gets fixed as good as new.

2 Timer
07-06-12, 01:31 AM
Why do you say the bumper will have to be removed? Not that it's a big deal to take it off.

I got good news from the insurance company handling the claim. They agreed and wrote time to remove, disassemble and refinish the bumper off the vehicle. This insures that no overspray can get on the grille, center air intake or the black moldings around the headlights, just to name a few scenarios. Brand new, so I just want a repair that is undetectible.

catbert
07-06-12, 07:48 AM
I got good news from the insurance company handling the claim. They agreed and wrote time to remove, disassemble and refinish the bumper off the vehicle. This insures that no overspray can get on the grille, center air intake or the black moldings around the headlights, just to name a few scenarios. Brand new, so I just want a repair that is undetectible.

I had the nose panel of my 07Z replaced when I hit a tread that came off a truck in front of me. They painted the panel off the car, but when it was installed, it didn't EXACTLY match the paint on the rest of the car, even though it was an Arctic White car. That can be a problem with panel painting. I had them blend the panel with the fenders and hood, and that took care of the problem. I'm told blending is easier with solid colors verses high metallic content paints. I hope your repair comes out perfectly.

Tuna
07-06-12, 10:16 AM
When a truck was backed into the nose of my '06 Daytona Sunset Orange Metillac a year or so ago, the dealer had to replace the nose. They painted the new nose off the car and it looked great when it was installed. Guess the painter on my old DSOM car did a better job matching the paints before finishing the nose.

2 Timer
07-06-12, 09:38 PM
I had the nose panel of my 07Z replace when I hit a tread that came off a truck in front of me. They painted the panel off the car, but when it was installed, it didn't EXACTLY match the paint on the rest of the car, even though it was an Arctic White car. That can be a problem with panel painting. I had them blend the panel with the fenders and hood, and that took care of the problem. I'm told blending is easier with solid colors verses high metallic content paints. I hope your repair comes out perfectly.

Fortunately the repair area is small and will allow the painter to spot (blend) the color within the bumper itself and then clearcoat the whole bumper. Have you had any problems with your bumper since its replacement?

catbert
07-06-12, 09:41 PM
Repair is still undetectable after 4 years according to the new owner.

2 Timer
07-06-12, 09:51 PM
Repair is still undetectable after 4 years according to the new owner.

That's what I want to hear. To be honest, I'm not worried about a successful repair. My real concern is dirt and dust from being in a body shop. After all the car is only 4 weeks old and still brand new. I just needed to vent my frustration with other Corvette owners. Thanks for listening and responding.
:thumb

Growing old is manditory. Growing up is optional!

2 Timer
07-31-12, 01:33 AM
Just an update concerning the repair to the front bumper. Looks as good as new, but I want to protect it with a clear bra. I have seen many on other colors and they were almost invisible, however I hear that they have a tendency to appear slightly yellow on a white car. Anyone with a white car care to chime in on this one? Your comments would be appeciated.

catbert
07-31-12, 06:28 AM
There is no reason that a white car repaint should discolor, if done correctly in the first place. My 07 didn't.

gmjunkie
07-31-12, 08:23 AM
Just an update concerning the repair to the front bumper. Looks as good as new, but I want to protect it with a clear bra. I have seen many on other colors and they were almost invisible, however I hear that they have a tendency to may a white car appear slightly yellow. Anyone with a white car care to chime in on this one? Your comments would be appeciated.Do NOT apply a Clear Bra for at lest 90 days to allow paint to cure!:thumb

2 Timer
07-31-12, 01:52 PM
There is no reason that a white car reprint should discolor, if done correctly in the first place. My 07 didn't.

If your speaking in terms of the paint job, it will not discolor as it ages. What I meant to say, was I have seen a clear bra on a white car and it appeared slightly yellow. Not sure yet, but I think I'm going to chance it. Did you have a bra on yours? Thanks

catbert
07-31-12, 02:00 PM
If your speaking in terms of the paint job, it will not discolor as it ages. What I meant to say, was I have seen a clear bra on a white car and it appeared slightly yellow. Not sure yet, but I think I'm going to chance it. Did you have a bra on yours? Thanks

I don't believe in bras.

If you are lucky enough not to damage the bra over time, it might well yellow and look bad... which is why I take a chance and don't use one. If worse comes to worse, a nose touch-up every few years isn't a terrible thing.