PDA

View Full Version : GY Tires on GS is BS

C6Maverick
03-18-12, 01:15 PM
Bought a 2012 Centennial Ed GS and was told by the dealer that they were told by Chevrolet not to align until 5-7K miles. My right rear tire was showing wear,so I took it in at 8K. Dealer said car was in alignment, but that tire would wear the fastest due to it is the power wheel ;LOL (let's see limited slip, positivetrac......maybe not!). After venting with my local car club, I see a trend with GS owners on premature tire wear. Some have had all 4 replaced and others justa set, but had to get the GM Rep involved. I'm going back this week and insiston some action.
If they won't acknowledge, while my car is on display at our national event, I'll make sure there are mirrors on each tire with placards annotating tirebrand, mileage expectancy, dealer name, service manager and dealership manager.And of course information on links on different Vette forums denouncing these tires and alignment specs.

Maybe after Eli Manning puts about 5-7K on his GS, he'll be a spokeperson for US! :duh 81778178

vett boy
03-18-12, 03:22 PM
I've gotten 40,000 miles on a set of tires both Goodyear's and Michelin's .If you don't do a lot of true performance driving and keep your speeds below 150 mph I'd change your alignment spec .Send me via PM your personnel email address and I'll send you the spec .I use.

Gripey
03-25-12, 04:07 PM
I'll have to say that I got a huge surprise yesterday morning. I have started noticing some vibration on my GS and thought I might just need the tires balance. I put it up on a friends lift yesterday morning just to look it over and discovered that all 4 tires had the inside tread severely worn :ugh The rest of the tread is in great shape.

The car has 14000 miles on it. Is this very common? I have never had the car aligned (yes, I'm a dumb butt). I guess I didn't think I need to have a new car aligned so soon....

Hib Halverson
03-25-12, 04:56 PM
I'd say, looking at those pictures, you have two problems...

1) slight over inflation. For normal driving, I'd drop my pressure a few psi
2) a little too much camber. I'd change the rear camber by about a quarter degree negative

Even with a limited slip, rear tires will wear unevenly, left to right. I've experienced that with both my C4 and my C5.

ßill
03-25-12, 05:06 PM
Won’t comment on the GS, but after 60k miles and 7 years on a set of GS/D3s on my ’90 ZR-1, I can’t complain about my GoodYears. :thumb

rkoblin
04-26-12, 09:06 AM
I have noticed the same thing....9500 miles and the tires are not wearing (2010 GS) evenly. Firstly the tread wear number is 220 so they are very soft and if you live in the south the heat from the pavement also has an effect. I priced Mich, they have a tread wear of 230. Goodyear and Michelin will not warrant any of these specialty EMT tires for mileage wear. The only way to beat it is to get a standard non emt tire if you wish to gamble with no spare.
priced new tires at Costco, new Michelins front and rear mounted and ballanced, $2100.

I guess if we can afford the car we can afford the tires sigh!:ugh

CentennialGS
05-03-12, 07:35 PM
I have noticed the same thing....9500 miles and the tires are not wearing (2010 GS) evenly. Firstly the tread wear number is 220 so they are very soft and if you live in the south the heat from the pavement also has an effect. I priced Mich, they have a tread wear of 230. Goodyear and Michelin will not warrant any of these specialty EMT tires for mileage wear. The only way to beat it is to get a standard non emt tire if you wish to gamble with no spare.
priced new tires at Costco, new Michelins front and rear mounted and ballanced, $2100.

I guess if we can afford the car we can afford the tires sigh!:ugh

Agree with the above post. The 220 rating and soft compound do go a long way in how long the tire will last you based on your driving habits. You saw a post or two above where people report your same issue while others report long mileage out of their GS tires. But other than the GS, you have many choices, a little cheaper than the run flat GS:
Vredesteins ultrac sessantas (not sure if they make a 325 in 19)
Hankook V12s
Potenzas RE050s with 280 rating
michelin pilot super sport
Nittos, INVOs or NT555s

tlmgsc2010
05-24-12, 01:25 PM
Agree with the above post. The 220 rating and soft compound do go a long way in how long the tire will last you based on your driving habits. You saw a post or two above where people report your same issue while others report long mileage out of their GS tires. But other than the GS, you have many choices, a little cheaper than the run flat GS:
Vredesteins ultrac sessantas (not sure if they make a 325 in 19)
Hankook V12s
Potenzas RE050s with 280 rating
michelin pilot super sport
Nittos, INVOs or NT555s

I just came back from a VIP tour at the plant. They confirmed the grand sports are aligned for aggressive driving and not for every day driving. The tires will ware badly on the inside corners without proper alignment. I'm having mine done as I type this note but the dealer has already found the alignment was way off even from spec. Mine is a DD driver so this should really help.
i'll have the actual numbers once they finish.

catbert
05-24-12, 01:27 PM
After owning a couple C6s, I can tell you that my experience is that the inside wears much faster with factory alignment specs. It's well worth the dollars to get the car realigned to correct the wear issue.

tlmgsc2010
05-24-12, 05:46 PM
I just came back from a VIP tour at the plant. They confirmed the grand sports are aligned for aggressive driving and not for every day driving. The tires will ware badly on the inside corners without proper alignment. I'm having mine done as I type this note but the dealer has already found the alignment was way off even from spec. Mine is a DD driver so this should really help.

The factory camber was found to be set at -1.3 to -1.4. All out of spec. ( -1.1to 0.2)
The other specs were also off in most cases beyond the required specs.

You can actually see the difference now over what I had before. As a small test the wheels had a 1" gap at the top with a simple level placed vertically across the tire sidewalls ( tight on the lower sidewall) Now it's almost dead on ( top to bottom ) with a slight gap on the top but that would agree with the slightly camber required.

As I said you can really see the difference from viewing from behind the car. Sure glad I did this. Tech said the car as set at extreme aggressive setting or beyond what would be expected.

catbert
05-27-12, 07:45 AM

What did you reset the alignment at? I'm bringing mine in before it's too late.:upthumbs

tlmgsc2010
05-27-12, 08:49 AM
What did you reset the alignment at? I'm bringing mine in before it's too late.:upthumbs

The LF was set -0.1 camber
6.9 caster
.06 toe

Rf, got -0.1, 7.4, 0.07 respectively.

Front cross camber, 0.0' cross caster, -0.5' cross SAI 0.0

LR and RR were set at -0.2 camber and -0.01 toe.

Rear cross camber -0.1 total, total toe -0.03, and trust angle at 0.00

As I said you can see the difference so I know my tires should ware a lot better now than as before with the Mfr set up.

Every car, it's tires and driver are different so it may be worth some trial and error. These settings are at the low end of the allowable range while the factory sets them at the extreme high end or in my case beyond the extreme spec'd range.

My car only had 1600 miles on I had it checked and then re-aligned.

By the way I have Michelin ps2's on the car set at 34#s.

Hope this helps those who want to keep your tires a lot longer than the guys who track and burn.

catbert
05-27-12, 10:47 AM
Thanks!

CentennialGS
05-27-12, 11:40 PM
very interesting, thanks for posting this guys. I will be getting mine aligned tuesday.

JJS
06-04-12, 08:46 PM
I'm looking at C6's and I've been noticing comments regarding tire wear, or tire problems in wet conditions especially with the wide bodies such as the Z06's and Grand Sports.

I read one of Hib's posts from earlier this year when he bought his new Z and swapped out the stock tires with P2's after picking up his car for the ride back to CA.

I might be looking at a new GS this weekend and I'm not sure I'll be able to pull a tire swap off after spending so much $$ on a new car.
I won't make it a habit of driving in the rain but the tire wear concerns me as putting new tires on a brand new car would be a hard one to pull off with the wife - even though I understand.

What is GM doing to help out with this problem - if anything? ;)

tlmgsc2010
06-04-12, 09:21 PM
I'm looking at C6's and I've been noticing comments regarding tire wear, or tire problems in wet conditions especially with the wide bodies such as the Z06's and Grand Sports.

I read one of Hib's posts from earlier this year when he bought his new Z and swapped out the stock tires with P2's after picking up his car for the ride back to CA.

I might be looking at a new GS this weekend and I'm not sure I'll be able to pull a tire swap off after spending so much $$ on a new car.
I won't make it a habit of driving in the rain but the tire wear concerns me as putting new tires on a brand new car would be a hard one to pull off with the wife - even though I understand.

I would say that all depends on your daily driving vs tracking time. You can count on the stock goodyear's for not being comfortable for every driving especially while driving around in temperatures around the mid 40 or so. They slide like crazy. If I'm tracking, the stock tires will soon be history but good for hooking up. I changed my non-track car out with Michelin PS2 's which are great for traction in wet cooler weather, hook well, and have a smoother drive to boot. Not to mention much better mileage expectations. 40k plus. The only issue is that the PS2 will fit a GS or Z06 wider rears. They do not come in that width for "zero pressure" PS2's.
i actually put altered width rear OEM's on my rear to work for All Season ZP-PS2. I probably have the only late model GS out there with this set up. It's expensive to do but if you're limited $$$$ and don't drive in low temps I'd drive the GY, let them wear out and buy the PS2 non ZP's.

My 2 cents.

JJS
06-04-12, 09:38 PM
>. You can count on the stock goodyear's for not being comfortable for every driving especially while driving around in temperatures around the mid 40 or so. They slide like crazy

I swapped out the GoodYear's that came with my LT-1 for the very same reasons, and the tires (GT+4's) were like brand new. In fact, I still have them.
It only cost me a few hundred for new rims and tires for the C3 - it certainly will be much more costly to do the same for a new car, and like I said, much harder to justify. That's IF I buy.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

-JS

midyearroadster427
06-05-12, 12:08 AM
michelins are now making their super sports in sizes that fit the Grandsport rears....they had just the fronts in the correct size but now are making the rears with what someone told me a 20,000 mile warranty....so when mine wear out at some point ...Michelins here I come.

Also...someone told me to check out the alignment specs on the pfdt? website....their street set up is great for street driving cars ...or so I am told...

catbert
06-05-12, 07:45 AM

As mentioned, the tire manufacturer is making the tire that GM wants on the car, and GM has not changed the alignment specs to reduce premature inside tread wear, so the obvious conclusion is nothing. The C6 gets spectacular skid pad numbers because of the aggressive alignment and tire compound, and that's the whole point. The numbers look good in magazine tests, and during track days. If you want to set up for every day driving and cruising, realign the car, and replace the tires with something harder when they wear out. With a realignment, you should get 20,000 miles on the OEMs. That's not terrible for a soft compound performance tire.

catbert
06-05-12, 09:19 AM
Also...someone told me to check out the alignment specs on the pfdt? website....their street set up is great for street driving cars ...or so I am told...

Does anyone know anything about the referenced website...never heard of it, but I'd like to see their take on it.

DGVETTE
06-05-12, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know anything about the referenced website...never heard of it, but I'd like to see their take on it.

The website is "pfadtracing.com".
Pfadt Race Engineering (http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/)

On their technical page
Pfadt Race Engineering » Technical Information (http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/?page_id=121)

is "Corvette Alignment Guide".
http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Corvette-Alignment-Guide-Rev-9.12.2011.pdf

The guide shows alignment settings from Performance Street(mild) to Dedicated Track Car(wild).

catbert
06-05-12, 01:07 PM
Good job, thanks.:thumb

CentennialGS
09-21-12, 04:12 PM
I had a flat on my rear passenger tire and took it to the local shop to get it patched, still plenty of thread left. They quoted me $30 to get it, i just wanted to get it done and over with so i agreed. Quoted 1 1/2 hours to do, i was like "really that long?" so right before they started, the manager called them off from doing it. He explained that those tires require a certification to be worked on, and if they did the job, it would nullify the tire's warranty. So they sent me to America's tire.

I went there, they had me in and out under 40 minutes and on top of that, it was FREE due to the tire's warranty.

i am one of those that will still change the tire to another brand when it's time to change it, but was pretty happy with how all that turned out. Turns out i had some sort of heavy duty staple on the tire, dead center. they were able to patch from the inside along with a plug outside.

catbert
09-21-12, 04:51 PM
Any Discount Tire will patch it free.

catbert
09-21-12, 04:54 PM
The website is "pfadtracing.com".
Pfadt Race Engineering (http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/)

On their technical page
Pfadt Race Engineering » Technical Information (http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/?page_id=121)

is "Corvette Alignment Guide".
http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Corvette-Alignment-Guide-Rev-9.12.2011.pdf

The guide shows alignment settings from Performance Street(mild) to Dedicated Track Car(wild).

Thanks, I got the Grand Sport realigned to the recommended specs. Hope to get a few more miles before they go to the cord on the inside!

the boss
09-21-12, 10:12 PM
I everyone, I am a new member and this is my first post/reply. I am a mechanic and just bought my first vette, a 2012 zr1 centennial canadian edition (very low production), I was so excited when the delivery truck arrive, I could not stop my legs from shaking.
I was very surprise that after 30 minutes driving I had pain in my back and shoulders. At first I was so nervous to drive it I thougt that the probleme was comming from a high level of stress due to the fact that I use to drive a Grand Caravan and a s60 Volvo and that the vette is way more responsive than the others. But after driving for two weeks, I almost started to look for a doctor. When I was driving, I had to hold the steering whit both hands and keep my upper body pretty stiff to be ready to any reactions from the car at every little bump or any other small imperfection off the road (here in Quebec, the roads are not always like bowling alley).
After 900 kilometers (550miles), I took it on my alignement lift and check the readings. Did a little research on the net and found out that I was not alone and that many owner have had there car alignement whit less ''track ready'' specs. The car was -1.0 dergree negative camber on 4 corners and the front tires where already showing a little wear on the inside. As there is planty of adjustement and I don't go on the track whit the car, I reset the camber to -.5 degree on all wheels and kept all the other specs the same. Huge difference, the car was way more civilize and my wife could drive it but still after 1 hour driving it was again a little painful. I took it back on the alignement and set it at -.25 degree at 4 wheels. I can now drive the car whit one hand and enjoy a 2-3 hours trip whit no pain (and pleasure). Some might think that I may loose handling, but the car and the tires are so great and accordind to the way I drive (pretty smooth) I can only see positives points.
The car is now 2100 kilometers (1300 miles) and I check my tires often, no more degradation + I am also shure that they will live much longer.
English isn't my first language so I appologize for grammaticals errors but I am shure that you will understand the meaning.

1analguy
09-23-12, 11:14 AM
Apologize for nothing. Your English is better than some of the other "English" that appears on here. Enjoy that ZR1. It must be nice...

A proper title for this thread would have been "Track Alignment On GS Is BS For Street". Why blame Goodyear for giving GM exactly what they asked for, or for GM's choice of alignment specs?

CentennialGS
12-13-12, 02:48 PM
I just replaced the stock rims a couple of days ago, my car is sitting at around 6600 miles, when the tires were unmounted, the tech came to me and brought me over to the tires and pointed out wear on the outer portion of the tire (positive camber, really GM??) I saw it and was like, WTF!!! I called my local dealer and told them, currently have an appointment for saturday morning, but somehow I got this feeling that the car will be "within specs" and they will try to charge me for something. I took my car to this same dealer at the 5k for the initial oil change and none of this "wear" was pointed out to me at the time or in the paperwork of their supposed 20 some point inspection. Regardless they always check tires and breaks because that means money to them. no tire wear was documented at the 5k service.

Bought a 2012 Centennial Ed GS and was told by the dealer that they were told by Chevrolet not to align until 5-7K miles. My right rear tire was showing wear,so I took it in at 8K. Dealer said car was in alignment, but that tire would wear the fastest due to it is the power wheel ;LOL (let's see limited slip, positivetrac......maybe not!). After venting with my local car club, I see a trend with GS owners on premature tire wear. Some have had all 4 replaced and others justa set, but had to get the GM Rep involved. I'm going back this week and insiston some action.
If they won't acknowledge, while my car is on display at our national event, I'll make sure there are mirrors on each tire with placards annotating tirebrand, mileage expectancy, dealer name, service manager and dealership manager.And of course information on links on different Vette forums denouncing these tires and alignment specs.

Maybe after Eli Manning puts about 5-7K on his GS, he'll be a spokeperson for US! :duh 81778178

Hib Halverson
12-13-12, 09:09 PM

I know I'm about five months late in commenting on this but, I never changed the tires on my '12. I posted that I was considering going to PS2s after the PS2 Cups wore out, but I never did it. With 5000 miles on the car so far, the Cup tires have lasted far longer than I expected. I've got about half tread life to go. Considering the amount of miles we put on the car, another set of Cups is a possibility. On the other hand, we're going to use that car to lead the Caravan from California to B.G. in 2014 and for that trip, I will definitely have PS2s on the car in case of bad weather.

As for wear of the Goodyears on GSes...tire wear is a function of many things, design and quality of the tire only being two of the factors. The others are driving habits, pressures and alignment. My belief is that GM is pretty sloppy on alignments at the factory or the cars often have a significant change in alignment in the first couple of thousand miles. Either way, I hear of a lot of cars with the alignment off early in the car's life. My '12 was out of alignment at the 5000 mile mark. Interestingly, it was just inside the camber tolerance for warranty repair so I paid the dealer to reset the alignment to the specs in the FSM. Far as I'm concerned GM's "tolerance" is excessive, considering the cost of the tires on the car, because I had camber in the rear which was different from side-to-side by almost half a degree.

Another wear related issue which I think is critical with Grand Sports is a lot of people who are buying them with the F1 Supercar EMT tires, are not aggressive drivers and do not drive the car hard enough to really need the aggressive alignment that GM uses. On a GS with Supercars which is not driven hard, the owner is best to reset the alignment with less negative camber front and rear. That will do a lot to mitigate abnormal tire wear on the inside of the tread.

On the other hand, if you have a GS Manual with the dry sump LS3 and you autocross, occasionally do track days or just haul ass in twisty roads, think twice about making an alignment change for the sake of tread life because you'll loose some of the car's handing edge.

JJS
12-13-12, 09:26 PM
Thanks for posting.
I'm still in the market for a '13 and I plan on (hopefully) purchasing in the next couple of months - I really appreciate all the information I can get regarding tire issues.

-John

Hib Halverson
12-14-12, 12:18 AM
If you're buying a '13 you'd better not wait that long. MY13 is going to end early and pickins might be slim if you wait until the Spring or Summer. If you're going to order a car you'd better do it now.

lqueral
12-17-12, 11:03 PM
Just got my 13 GS manual tranny and magnetic selective ride w/dual mode exhaust. Have the Goodyear Supercar 2nd gen tires and they are WORTHLESS in 40 degree weather. That being said, I always had my Vette stored by Thanksgiving Day so I haven't done much driving in cold weather, but I got the 13 two weeks ago and I was NOT gonna store that right away!! Yes, I realize these are extreme perf SUMMER tires, but I cannot floor it anywhere in 1st gear or midway through 2nd without serious wheelspin. I do not feel safe with these junks under there. Nowhere does Chevy say this car is not to be driven in sub-40 weather and let me tell ya, it feels like I'm on a freakin roller coaster with these things. I now have 300 miles on them and that should have worn off the shiny rubber by now. Air pressures are set cold to 31 lbs cold. I love the car, but I can only hope this situation improves DRAMATICALLY in the Spring and 60+ temps. Anyone else have this issue?

Hib Halverson
12-17-12, 11:33 PM
Any "extreme performance summer" tire will perform as do the Goodyear F1 Supercar EMTs in 40° weather.

If you want better traction in cold weather, put winter tires on the car.

Tuna
12-18-12, 10:10 AM
Just got my 13 GS manual tranny and magnetic selective ride w/dual mode exhaust. Have the Goodyear Supercar 2nd gen tires and they are WORTHLESS in 40 degree weather.

I'd had my '13 427 Vert with the Michelin PS2 tires for a few months now and they ain't any better in 40-degree temps either. I have similar issues with PS2's on my CTS V and previously with the GY SuperCars on my old CTS V.

Like Hib said:
"Any "extreme performance summer" tire will perform as do the Goodyear F1 Supercar EMTs in 40° weather.

If you want better traction in cold weather, put winter tires on the car. "

Wait until there's snow or ice on the road - talk about an "E" ticket ride! (I'm showing my age here.)

lqueral
12-18-12, 10:52 AM
Any "extreme performance summer" tire will perform as do the Goodyear F1 Supercar EMTs in 40° weather.

If you want better traction in cold weather, put winter tires on the car.

As I said, this generally would not be an issue with me due to winter storage, but I kinda can see what the wags at Motor Trend were writing about months ago when they blasted the Grand Sport when they pitted it against the Porsche. They claimed they even had trouble keeping up with a minivan. I'll be covering it soon for rest of Winter so I'll re-assess in Spring, but I likely will consider a Michelin EMT when time comes to replace...and that might not be in too long a time based on what I'm reading here <pained grin>.

the boss
12-18-12, 01:53 PM
Same here. I have michelin ps2 on my 2012 zr1 and the last week of November, before putting the car in storage for winter, I took it for a ride on a nice weekend and scare the sh...out of me, by myself. The difference in traction in unbeleivable. Tire slippage VERY easy, To easy. It was close to 0 celcius (about 34-35 F). Did my little ride very smoothly and put it away before desaster strike.

Tuna
12-18-12, 02:25 PM
With the ZR1 and the 427 Vert (which has the ZR1 size wheels and tires), finding a good all season (winter) tire is going to be tough. Lucky for me, Oklahoma winters aren't all that bad most of the time.

CentennialGS
12-18-12, 04:52 PM
To address what Iqueral was saying, most reviews you will find online for this tire aren't very positive, and that will include SoCal drivers, it's basically summer year round down here. I just took mine in to get the alignment checked this past Saturday, they did confirm it was "out of range" for the fronts but the rears were within range. I'm not a big fan of "range" when it comes to an alignment but it was done under warranty so i did not have to pay a dime for it. The car is at 6600 miles and my rears are about 4/32 left, I definitely won't replace with the stock tires, I will prob use Michelins. Recently we have been having light rains and i have to be very careful in 1st and 2nd gear, because my tires will spin out very easy with the light rain on the road. It is scary to the point that I do not drive it even with a light drizzle outside, my rear has spun out from under me in many occasions, even in the dry road, but I would attribute that to the current wear level of the tire, earlier in the year when I got the car in late March, those summer months, grip was ok, not excellent, but ok.

What is al ittle troublesome is the fact that when it was getting aligned this weekend, I asked for specific measurement front and rear and the dealer would not, instead they would use the OEM range since it was a warranty issue, but the spec i asked for was within the range of OEM, go figure. I also asked to be provided a copy of the specs, I didn't get it, but I also didn't check when I left the dealer.

Tuna
12-18-12, 05:31 PM
Well, my experience with the GY SuperCar tire (not on a Vette but a 1st generation CTS V) is that they wore out way too fast and basically sucked in the rain. Great dry traction however - maybe a bit too much with the V1 as it tended to wheel hop with a hard launch. I replaced the first set of SuperCar tires with another set with the same results - ~13K miles and they were gone also. I've heard similar stories from Vette owners with the SuperCar tires.

As for my V1, I found a tire with nearly as good dry performance, excellent wet weather performance, good winter performance and more than twice the life - they were GOODYEAR tires also: The F1 GS D3 and in EMT. Too bad GY does not make the D3 in a size that fits the C5 and C6 in all the different tires sizes they use. If they did, I'd give them a look when it comes time to replace tires.

The C6 gofaster versions all get Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. I've only got 6 months on my 427 Vert now so I have no idea how long they will last. Driven them in the rain and, while not great, they are not all that bad. They, like the SuperCar tires, don't stick to the road well when the tire/road is cold - like < 50 degrees. Nothing new there.

I do have 2 years experience on my Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on my CTS V (V2) Wagon. 15K+ miles now and still showing good tread. They are okay in the rain - even now. They aren't any better in the cold.

With my previous Vettes (narrow body versions), I replaced the GY tires (not SuperCar tires) with Michelin PS All Season ZPs and was pretty satisified with them. The AS ZP gives some away in summer performance to the summer tire but does not loose much when cold.

Now that both my performance cars come with Michelin PS2 tires, I have the summer months covered but will have to pay attention to the traction when it's cold out. I believe the PS2s will last longer than the GY SuperCar tires and that's good.

I checked TireRack.com and noted that no one makes an all season tire in the ZR1/427Vert sizes. Ditto for the C6 Grand Sport sizes - oh well. I suppose I could buy a custom set of HRE wheels in 19x6 and mount mud and snow tires on them for winter. :L

Hib Halverson
12-18-12, 06:50 PM
(snip)

The C6 gofaster versions all get Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. I've only got 6 months on my 427 Vert now so I have no idea how long they will last. Driven them in the rain and, while not great, they are not all that bad. They, like the SuperCar tires, don't stick to the road well when the tire/road is cold - like < 50 degrees. Nothing new there.

The C6 "gofaster" versions (ZR1 and Z06) get Michelin PS2s, but the "goevenfaster" versions (ZR1 w. PDE or Z06 w. Z07) get Pilot Sport Cup tires which are basically a run flat casing with a sort of low-tread-depth, racing-rain-tire tread design in a very soft tread compound.

If the PS2s are "not great" but "not all that bad," then PS Cups are "barely acceptable at reduced speed" in light rain and unsafe in anything more than that.

Tuna
12-19-12, 10:18 AM
The C6 "gofaster" versions (ZR1 and Z06) get Michelin PS2s, but the "goevenfaster" versions (ZR1 w. PDE or Z06 w. Z07) get Pilot Sport Cup tires which are basically a run flat casing with a sort of low-tread-depth, racing-rain-tire tread design in a very soft tread compound.

If the PS2s are "not great" but "not all that bad," then PS Cups are "barely acceptable at reduced speed" in light rain and unsafe in anything more than that.

Glad you jumped in on the "Cup" tires since you have personal experience with them. :thumb

Hib Halverson
12-19-12, 11:36 AM
Glad you jumped in on the "Cup" tires since you have personal experience with them. :thumb

And that experience has been all good...given my expectations before I took delivery of the car.

I've got a hair over 5000 miles on them and I'm astonished at the tread life. Before I got the car, people were telling me I'd be lucky to get 3000 street miles out of them.

Now, I admit, I'm not running the car in track day events every weekend but the Cup tires are working well for the kind of driving I've been doing.

Based on my experience early-on, with full tread depth, driving in light-to-moderate rain with no areas of standing water on the road and keep the speed at the posted limit, the Cups are ok.

In the dry, they stick like freakin' crazy.

lqueral
12-21-12, 10:56 PM
Pro drivers are setting all kinda lap records at different raceways using those Cup tires. They're basically "cheater slicks", but I guess they really stick like glue (in dry, anyway). Shitty tread life, but that's the result of the soft rubber. I would gladly give up a LITTLE summer grip for a less scary experience in sub 50 weather, though. I'm not a 10/10th driver anyway, and most of us likely aren't either. I was amazed, though, at how scary the GS tires were at 40 degrees. Next year, It'll be covered in the garage by Thanksgiving, just as I always did with my 96 LT4 coupe, so no cold weather driving.

ontcanuck
01-12-13, 11:42 AM
On my GS I got 15000 miles before I changed them to Bridgstones. My rear tires were bald (can't figure out why) and front tires were 2/3 eavenly worn, I had the alignment done to 0 camber and 0 toe when new. Main complaint on GY is that they were extremely dangerous to drive on in the wet the tread is only at 5/32 new so naturally they are going to wear out quick. The Bridgstones are 10/32 new

68 4 spd
03-09-13, 11:15 PM
Just brought my '13 Grand Sport back from Columbus Ohio to Chicago Il. The entire trip was cold and rain into snow and slush, ice covered roads after exiting tollway. Nearly 8 hours elapsed drive time and had NO problems or scary events on road. Traction control activated one time moving off standing start from traffic light. Have had worse experience driving the '68 in a torrential downpour than the '91 or '13. No A B S activation either. Kept up with traffic at around posted speeds or the speed traffic was flowing. Will sure look into backing down the alignment to a less aggressive spec to keep those pricey tires alive but sure don't think the car was any kind of dangerous or unmanageable. Looking forward to spring and a road trip to Florida.

Huskerman
03-10-13, 12:01 AM
I have Nitto Invo's on my GS and like them fine. I am looking to move back into a Run Flat tire soon and was researching on the Tire Rack site and keep hoping someone else will bring out a better A/S set of Run Flats for the GS sizes. So far no joy and I have thought about the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RFT's but read several revews that said they were great tires until they went flat and only lasted 8 to 10 miles before shredding off the rims....which kinda defeates the purpose of a run flat. So the only other viable option is the PS2's which I am sure are good but they sure as hell better be for 2200 bucks........

Anyone have any flat tire experiences with the Bridgestone RFT's?

vett boy
03-10-13, 08:58 AM
If anyone is interested in cold temperature driving or even moderate snow .I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S service 93y and they are run flats .I've had good luck at -10 ,ice and moderate snow .I paid $1100 mounted ,balanced and free alignment
to my spec .

The all season tires can be axle mixed .In other words the all season on rear ,regulars on the front .

In a lot of cases the thought process maybe flawed going away from run flats .

catbert
03-10-13, 09:30 AM
I have Nitto Invo's on my GS and like them fine. I am looking to move back into a Run Flat tire soon and was researching on the Tire Rack site and keep hoping someone else will bring out a better A/S set of Run Flats for the GS sizes. So far no joy and I have thought about the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RFT's but read several revews that said they were great tires until they went flat and only lasted 8 to 10 miles before shredding off the rims....which kinda defeates the purpose of a run flat. So the only other viable option is the PS2's which I am sure are good but they sure as hell better be for 2200 bucks........

Anyone have any flat tire experiences with the Bridgestone RFT's?

I had one of the first sets of Pole Position run flats sold here after they were introduced. I got them through Firestone, Bridgestone's corporate offices. They proved to be a good all around tire on my 2007 Z06, and I will probably buy them for my GS when replacement time comes around. In my view, they are quieter, last longer, marginally better riding, but much, much, much, much safer in the rain. The OEM Supercars scared me in bad weather.

The guys I knew had no problems getting to a shop after a flat, and many of them had the tires plugged, which is not recommended. Of all the tires I've had for my C5s and C6s, I'd say they are the best all around performer, although I've never sprung for the PS tires.

The most important element of tire satisfaction is a good realignment IMHO.

lqueral
03-11-13, 07:46 PM
Had a recent situation. About 40 degrees out and I took someone out for a drive in the 13 GS. Went over a slight rise in the road and it happened to be where I needed to shift into second gear. I must have given it too much throttle, although I was NOT speed-shifting. Ass end kicked left, then right, left again, then one more right before I got ahold of the car. I mean SERIOUS tail-wagging. I actually went off the road with right-rear tire at one point. I did NOT feel ANY of the nannies kick in at all. All I can say is that I'm glad I kept a calm head and did not panic. Maybe it was 90% luck and 10% skill - whatever, but that was the CLOSEST I ever came to crashing and actually didn't. Next day I went back to the scene of the crime and saw that when I left the road with right-rear, I came within ONE FOOT of a large tree. A poor unfortunate coming the other way during my joy ride actually flew off the road (pulled several feet into grass shoulder) because I guess he thought I might hit him. I had traction and stability control both on. I also feel a very pronounced shuddering in the rear when I take the car out of the garage, coast down the driveway and then engage clutch at bottom while turning wheel. I turn the wheel because of the swail down there and exiting the swail kinda at an angle decreases the rubbing of the lower air deflector a bit. Yesterday was around 55 degrees and I went out for a spin. Tires did hook up quite a bit better at 55 than 40 (understandable), but at one point I needed to make a slow U-turn and I felt the shuddering back there again, but not nearly as violent as at 40 degrees. For all the old-timers out there, it kinda feels like doing a tight slow turn in a car with a Detroit Locker rear end or any "locked" rear axle, used to feel. Something is NOT right with the traction/stability system but I have no check engine light so I doubt that it has thrown a code as yet, although maybe there's one "pending". I got a feeling that the dealer is going to be mystified by this when I report it. If they don't get a code, they're often unable to track it down.

Huskerman
03-11-13, 08:29 PM
If anyone is interested in cold temperature driving or even moderate snow .I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S service 93y and they are run flats .I've had good luck at -10 ,ice and moderate snow .I paid $1100 mounted ,balanced and free alignment
to my spec .

The all season tires can be axle mixed .In other words the all season on rear ,regulars on the front .

In a lot of cases the thought process maybe flawed going away from run flats .

If they only made those to fit the Grand Sports all would be good.....but alas.......they don't.

Tuna
03-12-13, 09:30 AM
If they only made those to fit the Grand Sports all would be good.....but alas.......they don't.

I suppose you could buy a set of C6 narrow body wheels and put the Michelin PS A/S ZPs on them and then use them on the GS for winter driving. Might look a little funny. ;)

Btw, I have a set of narrow body wheels for sale!

Huskerman
03-12-13, 10:45 AM
I suppose you could buy a set of C6 narrow body wheels and put the Michelin PS A/S ZPs on them and then use them on the GS for winter driving. Might look a little funny. ;)

I'm not really wanting to drive in the winter. If I do go out it is a warmer day and the pavement is dry. I'm just bitching and moaning about the lack of RF choices that now exist for the GS. Lots of choices if you go non RF. Out here in the wild west we can get way out up in the Sandhills or out in the middle of Wyoming and it would be nice to have something you can limp in on. I bought the Michelin A/S's Z/P's for my C5 and loved them and wanted to go with them for the GS. I will go with the summer tire Michelins this spring.....

I have thought of going to a narrower rim on the rears but don't know how bad that would screw things up......maybe not bad since the overall diameter would be close.....as long as I stayed with 19 inch wheels......hmmmmm.......I do kinda like those big meats in back though...... :)

Tuna
03-12-13, 12:42 PM
Tire selection for my Vette is even worse. The only RF's available are the Michelin PS2 ZPs or the Michelin Cup tires - neither are winter tires. Good thing Oklahoma has relatively mild winters. ;)

vett boy
03-12-13, 01:16 PM
If they only made those to fit the Grand Sports all would be good.....but alas.......they don't.That is correct they are not available at this time .I did talk to a friend that works for Michelin in South Carolina and he claims that there is a good chance AS run flats (Grand Sport) will be available by late summer .The fact that my circle of friends are neither intelligent nor trustworthy should have no bearing on my post .:D Hopefully I'm not passing misinformation but thats what the man said.

Huskerman
03-12-13, 02:03 PM
That is correct they are not available at this time .I did talk to a friend that works for Michelin in South Carolina and he claims that there is a good chance AS run flats (Grand Sport) will be available by late summer .The fact that my circle of friends are neither intelligent nor trustworthy should have no bearing on my post .:D Hopefully I'm not passing misinformation but thats what the man said.

Try to get that on tape will you? Or better yet ply him with alcohol and see it you can film him saying this........:D

I would hate to buy the P2's and then see that they bring out the A/S tires... I will send Michelin a note and see what they say......if anything. That's good info but I wonder if the prices would be better than what is currently available?

vett boy
03-12-13, 02:16 PM
Try to get that on tape will you? Or better yet ply him with alcohol and see it you can film him saying this........:D

I would hate to buy the P2's and then see that they bring out the A/S tires... I will send Michelin a note and see what they say......if anything. That's good info but I wonder if the prices would be better than what is currently available?I'd highly recommend that anyone interested send Michelin a note email etc ,If my information was not correct at least they will know there is a demand .Their US offices are in South Carolina.I wish ya all luck .:thumb

Huskerman
03-12-13, 04:00 PM
I got on the Michelin web site and sent them an email and about an hour later they answered and were happy to tell me that they offer the PS2 in the sizes for my car......I said thank you and yes I know that....but what I want is the PS2 A/S tires for my car in a ZP and sent it back to them....I had stated that in my original email to them. I will let you know what they say.....

lqueral
03-26-13, 08:25 PM
I got on the Michelin web site and sent them an email and about an hour later they answered and were happy to tell me that they offer the PS2 in the sizes for my car......I said thank you and yes I know that....but what I want is the PS2 A/S tires for my car in a ZP and sent it back to them....I had stated that in my original email to them. I will let you know what they say.....

Just spoke with Michelin today. Rep said to look for the Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires that are just out. These are Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. Supposedly in GS sizes but not yet in "ZP" (zero pressure - run flat). Those will be out likely late in 2014. By that time, the junk Goodyears will probably be shot anyways...

Huskerman
03-26-13, 09:59 PM
Just spoke with Michelin today. Rep said to look for the Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires that are just out. These are Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. Supposedly in GS sizes but not yet in "ZP" (zero pressure - run flat). Those will be out likely late in 2014. By that time, the junk Goodyears will probably be shot anyways...

late 14 or late 13?........late 13 I can maybe wait.....but late 14 is a long way aways.....

lqueral
03-26-13, 10:25 PM
late 14 or late 13?........late 13 I can maybe wait.....but late 14 is a long way aways.....

He said mid-to-late 2014, likely late. If you don't require ZP, you can get them this year. I spoke to the guy about flat-fix cans and he agrees that they are not the hot setup. Can affect balance of wheel/tire assembly, make a mess inside the tire, and can cause a hazard to a tire changer as the goop can, in some cases, be explosive. That's all we need...<grin>. I'll use up the Goodyear junks and by then I'll likely go with the ZP's. Michelins are quite expensive compared to the competition, but they really are good tires. I just know I can't get another set of OEM's.

the boss
03-28-13, 11:11 PM
He said mid-to-late 2014, likely late. If you don't require ZP, you can get them this year. I spoke to the guy about flat-fix cans and he agrees that they are not the hot setup. Can affect balance of wheel/tire assembly, make a mess inside the tire, and can cause a hazard to a tire changer as the goop can, in some cases, be explosive. That's all we need...<grin>. I'll use up the Goodyear junks and by then I'll likely go with the ZP's. Michelins are quite expensive compared to the competition, but they really are good tires. I just know I can't get another set of OEM's.

As a mechanic, I saw some of those ''fix a flat'' in a can causing problem to tpms sensors. First time it append, I could fix it but the second time, I had to replace the sensor.

Huskerman
03-29-13, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the Michilins. I always figured the tire fix in a can was a feel good thing more then a sure thing. Trying to get that to work on a dark rainy night out in the middle of nowhere is not something I care to do. To add to that I really really like the Nitto's and hate to give them up. It's strange the Kumo's or Nitto's have not offered a run flat tire........I wonder why?

Tuna
03-29-13, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the Michilins. I always figured the tire fix in a can was a feel good thing more then a sure thing. Trying to get that to work on a dark rainy night out in the middle of nowhere is not something I care to do. To add to that I really really like the Nitto's and hate to give them up. It's strange the Kumo's or Nitto's have not offered a run flat tire........I wonder why?

If you cut a sidewall or put a gash in the tread, the "fix a flat" stuff will never fix it. With a run-flat, you can still drive for a way with a big cut/gash in the side wall. Been there, done that - or at least my wife has. Sure beat the heck out of her sitting on the shoulder of a turnpike waiting for a tow truck.

lqueral
04-22-13, 09:47 AM
We've had several pretty warm days and I can now say that the OEM tires are hooking up quite well. They scared me to death in sub-45 degree weather, but they are pretty sticky around 70 degrees. Thank God!!! Another update - I had the Elite Engineering "Thermal-abs" heat shielded tunnel plate installed, and while it helped with the console heat issue, it's not the total fix. I'm gonna investigate insulation under the carpeting in that area.

Huskerman
04-22-13, 10:58 AM

I lied....I got the Bridgestone Pole Position RFT's and so far I like them a lot. They are stiffer but that was a given. They don't make much noise.

Huskerman
04-22-13, 11:01 AM
We've had several pretty warm days and I can now say that the OEM tires are hooking up quite well. They scared me to death in sub-45 degree weather, but they are pretty sticky around 70 degrees. Thank God!!! Another update - I had the Elite Engineering "Thermal-abs" heat shielded tunnel plate installed, and while it helped with the console heat issue, it's not the total fix. I'm gonna investigate insulation under the carpeting in that area.

I have not noticed a heat problem in the console with mine......haven't had it very long so that may be why........is this a wide spread C6 issue?

JJS
04-22-13, 11:29 AM

It's still cool here in central MA so I think I'm going to keep the car in storage for an extra week. I'm having 2 bathrooms installed at the house so the garage is a bit of a mess anyway.
It's killing me not to have it but I'll definitely have it out by late next week.

I didn't realize there were heat issues with the Grand Sports but it can't be anything nearly as bad as the LT-1. I'm sure I can live with it.

lqueral
04-23-13, 07:58 PM
I have not noticed a heat problem in the console with mine......haven't had it very long so that may be why........is this a wide spread C6 issue?

It's been an issue from way back. I had it in my C4 and now my new C6 has it (C6 worse than C4). It gets really bad above 60 degrees ambient when you're going at less than highway speeds. The more idling in traffic, the worse it gets. The carpet below the console gets warm enough that if you have your right leg against it, you can feel heat through your pant leg. Even the driver's seat eventually gets toasty. I like to wear shorts in summer and I can just imagine the discomfort then. The console gets warm enough that the drink holders kill any coldness from an soda can or bottle in a pretty short period of time. If you Google "C6 Corvette console heat", you'll see what I mean. Supposedly the C5 was somewhat worse than the C6. I LOVE this car and want to be comfortable cruising in the summer, so I put in that thermal-abs plate, and am gonna get some shielding under the carpet put in. For the money, Chevy should have insulated under the carpet in that area. They're not gonna convince me that they were unaware of the heat issue. No car is perfect from the factory.