PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Jackson to Offer First Saleable 2009 Corvette ZR1

Rob
12-29-07, 12:19 AM
From the Barrett-Jackson web site:

From Rumor to Instant Legend in the Blink of an Eye. Chevrolet presents the very "First Retailable Unit Built" Corvette ZR-1 for auction at Barrett-Jackson on Saturday, January 19, 2008 with all proceeds from the auction will benefit The United Way.

Lot #1316

6 Shooter
12-29-07, 11:20 AM
:cool

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/carlist_Details.aspx?&In_LotNumber=1316

:lou

fvette05
12-30-07, 11:40 PM
First off, I am not against any donations (large or small) to the United Way so please, no flaming. We should all donate as much as we can, as often as we can.:upthumbs

If this rumor is true, let's not paint this as anything but a warm and fuzzy attempt by GM marketing, working in conjunction with B-J, to have only the richest collectors (who fight to see who has the biggest bank account) set the market price for a new ZR1! Gee, do you think the dealers will use that price as a benchmark? High end car auctions are notorius for being rigged affairs and this one is likely to be no different. BTW, will B-J be giving all of their proceeds to UW?

It's tough enough to afford a Corvette without having the richest car collectors have the first shot at setting market prices.
:W

Eric
12-31-07, 09:56 AM
It's tough enough to afford a Corvette without having the richest car collectors have the first shot at setting market prices.
:WThat was my feeling when read this as well. But then, it's not like I was ever going to be able to afford one anyhow:eyerole.

- Eric:w

B17Crew
12-31-07, 11:22 AM
Wow, it’s 1990 all over again... at least money is going the UW.

B17Crew
:w

fvette05
01-07-08, 12:45 AM
BTW, did you note this statement: "GM AND BARRETT-JACKSON MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, CONCERNING THE VEHICLE (INCLUDING NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE). SOLD ON BILL OF SALE ONLY"

Neither the Mustang or the Challenger have any kind of disclaimer like this in their listing. What exactly does this mean? Is it a mule?:confused

Gersh
01-09-08, 11:42 AM
BTW, did you note this statement: "GM AND BARRETT-JACKSON MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, CONCERNING THE VEHICLE (INCLUDING NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE). SOLD ON BILL OF SALE ONLY"

Neither the Mustang or the Challenger have any kind of disclaimer like this in their listing. What exactly does this mean? Is it a mule?:confused
My guess is No, not a mule, but an assembly line ZR1. I suspect the wording is just B-J routine legal bs.
Gersh

Rob
01-19-08, 11:01 PM
The car is coming up for auction shortly....

Rob
01-19-08, 11:19 PM
Current bid - $1,000,000....

Chrisr
01-19-08, 11:22 PM
Sold for $1,000,000.00!!!!!!!!!! :W :W

Rob
01-19-08, 11:25 PM
It sold for $1,000,000 and is the only ZR1 to be painted LeMans Blue. :upthumbs

New owner: Dave Ressler

trochred99
01-19-08, 11:33 PM
Dam, $1,000,000.00:beer

jrose7004
01-20-08, 01:59 AM
Sold for $1,000,000.00!!!!!!!!!! :W :W
:eek

Rob
01-20-08, 09:35 AM
Auction Video: http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=9337587f6ab6397699af

oceangal
01-20-08, 09:57 AM
What a beautiful car that is. I still can't figure out how the paint could cost $60,000 dollars a gallon.

Who is that guy who bought it? They said he has the #3 1953 vette as well. Its amazing the money flying around that place this weekend.

oceangal
01-20-08, 10:02 AM
Found him.....
http://www.timesocket.com/automobiles/david-dave-ressler-wins-auction-on-2009-corvette-zr1/

I didn't realize you could make that much money selling cars. wow.

Rob
01-20-08, 10:13 AM
About Dave Ressler:

Dave Ressler of Ressler Chevrolet of Mandan, North Dakota was destined to be in the automotive sales business. "You can say I was inspired because of my dad who was a car salesman for 25 years," said Ressler of his dad, Chris, who died in 1977 and worked at Bob Chase Chevrolet. "From the day that my dad passed away, Bob kept calling and wanting to hire me."
He eventually did.

In 1972, Chase moved into the facility Ressler now occupies. It was Mandan's only Chevrolet dealership at that time - a distinction it still holds today and is home to 21 employees. In 1980, Chase sold to Ivan Gandrud, who held the store until 1988. Thirty people were working for Chase when the business changed hands. And in 1988, Ressler bought the dealership and hasn't looked back.

Ivan started with 30 employees and took it up to roughly 55 when he sold.

With Ressler it went from 55 to over 130 employees.

Ressler is pretty proud of the growth of his business. He's proud, and justifiably so, of a lot of things.

"I'm probably the youngest car dealer in the two towns," he said. "I started when I was 32. I work hard at what I do. I'm a workaholic. I really don't know how I got that way. Maybe I got it from my dad."

The hard work has paid off.

Ressler said his dealership has received eight Customer Choice Awards over the lasts 6 years. He said this is an accomplishment achieved by no other Chevrolet Dealership anywhere.

"The awards are based on customer satisfaction," he said. "We do not get any extra money for this. It's a 'wow' effect, I guess. It tells us we're all doing a good job."

Ressler said he expects a lot of himself and the same from his employees.

"We have a mission statement that we all work by," he said. "There are five critical areas that we focus on everyday."

They are:

Customer Satisfaction
Employee Enthusiasm
Market Leadership
Ongoing Improvement
Financial Performance

"If we work hard at these five things everyday, we know that we're doing a good job," he said. "It's important to have our employees focused on the right things."

Ressler said he's a hands-on employer - he can't help himself being the workaholic that he is - and enjoys being involved in the daily activities. But there certainly must be a point when he has to slow down, take a break and say "enough already."

But, that's not going to happen anytime soon. In March of 1999, Ressler moved to Bozeman, MT. and acquired a Chevrolet-Oldsmobile-Cadillac-Toyota dealership. "I'm back in the day-to-day," says Ressler, spending about half his time in Bozeman, and the other half in Mandan.

The Bozeman store, which employs 85 people, believes in the same values as the Mandan store. Because of this, it enjoys being the leader in the Gallatin Valley with more new/used car sales, service, parts sales and body shop service than any other dealer in the valley.

"Selling BEST PRICE has been well accepted, along with Saturday service and parts sales," says Ressler. "I'm having a blast and business is great at both stores. Enough isn't enough, I guess. I'm not going to stop. I'm chasing to be the best of the best!"

designeraccd
01-20-08, 05:15 PM
The paint Jay Leno was referring to is the clear protective paint to keep all the ZR1's carbon fiber from UV degradation, not the colored paint on the car itself. Still sounds awfully expensive tho. Mr. Leno did make a fine "schill" tho...err extra salesman!

I think, if I had the moola, I could "force" myself to live with a mere Z06 compared to the ZR1......like the RED one sitting on the showroom floor at our local Chevy dealer when I bought my wife a new '08 Malibu yesterday. Sure was hard to "concentrate" on the Malibu with that RED Z06 sitting there, oh sigh.............. Guess my humble C5 will just have to do! LOL! DFO :L

Rob
01-20-08, 05:21 PM
What a beautiful car that is. I still can't figure out how the paint could cost $60,000 dollars a gallon.

Who is that guy who bought it? They said he has the #3 1953 vette as well. Its amazing the money flying around that place this weekend.Jay Leno was inaccurate in stating that it was the paint that cost $60,000 per gallon.

What cost $60,000 per gallon is actually the protective coating that goes over the carbon fiber body panels where the carbon fiber is actually exposed to direct sunlight such as the roof and front air splitter.

Why? Because over time, carbon fiber body panels where the cloth is actually exposed to the sun will yellow with time. That protective coating prevents that from happening and if I'm not mistaken, I heard that the protective coating is guaranteed for the life of the automobile.

oceangal
01-20-08, 06:15 PM
Thanks for clearing that up guys, I was thinking it didn't sound quite right.

onedef92
01-22-08, 09:33 AM
Jay Leno was inaccurate in stating that it was the paint that cost $60,000 per gallon.

What cost $60,000 per gallon is actually the protective coating that goes over the carbon fiber body panels where the carbon fiber is actually exposed to direct sunlight such as the roof and front air splitter.

Why? Because over time, carbon fiber body panels where the cloth is actually exposed to the sun will yellow with time. That protective coating prevents that from happening and if I'm not mistaken, I heard that the protective coating is guaranteed for the life of the automobile.

It's gonna' be a bugger at the body shop, though. But, if you've got the pockets deep enough to front a ZR1, you can surely eat the collision damage.

abowtieguy
01-24-08, 05:06 PM
Here is Dave Ressler's website where you can see his collection of Corvettes. http://thefirstcorvette.com/

simbadb
01-26-08, 05:38 AM
Wow, itís 1990 all over again... at least money is going the UW.

B17Crew

1990 Indeed. Nobody can deny the new ZR1 is one hot machine but so was the 1990 ZR-1, King of the Hill.
The 1990+ ZR-1's have taken a serious knock in resale. I dont know why collectors would expect a different outcome with the new ZR1.
Chevy looks to be doing a replay and I would expect, just as the LT engines made the later ZR-1 irrelevant, new Corvette improvements will leave buyers of the new ZR1 dissapointed. That said; If one can afford 100K+ for a car, what does re-sale matter??

jims427400
01-26-08, 07:13 PM
I totally agree, and there were only like 480 ZR1s made per year at a $30k premium. I've also got an 04 Z06 Commemorative Z16, 2025 made and its struggling to maintain $40k in value with very low miles. I can wait for a used one. Maybe...

Zo6 LVR
01-28-08, 10:23 AM

Who is that guy who bought it? They said he has the #3 1953 vette as well. Its amazing the money flying around that place this weekend.

The UV inhibitor that is mixed into the clear coat is what costs $60,000/gal

69vert
02-05-08, 08:06 PM
how much did bareret jackson get there grubby hands on

fvette05
02-05-08, 08:15 PM
I watched the auction and I never heard anyone say that the car was not included in the bid. Who did you hear say that?:eyerole

rascal_rascal_99
02-06-08, 02:20 PM
I understood them to say though that everything OVER sticker price would be going to charity...so I took that to mean that the car would be paid for first, then everything left goes to charity. However we understood or interperited the auction, I'm sure Mr Ressler knew the detials of the auction...then again, to raise your own bid from 900k to 1 million, he may not care what it takes to get it!

btw...I'd be pretty wicked excited to get to check out that mule too! :L

if you heard them talking about it, they said that the will get 001 in Lemans Blue when it rolls off the line. it WILL be the only one of its kind. Meaning it hasnt even been produced yet. the one they were showing was a JSB Mule car and wasnt for sale. the one that they showed has no serial numbers on it. they said that who ever is the highest bidder gets the first allocation. which would mean that he still has to buy the car, he has just bought the allocation to it. their will obviously be no mark up in the thing and he will really get it for alot cheaper, but the car isnt free cause he donated a million to a charity. you have to read about the auction, they really didnt explain well on the show. just like how Jay leno said that the paint cost 60k per gallon... he was wrong, and was just wicked excited to see the car.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
~joshua

rascal_rascal_99
02-06-08, 06:08 PM
I know the feeling! they would have to call security and a detail guy if I were there, first security to keep me away frmo the car, and the detailer to wipe up all the drool :boogie!!! Not ashamed to admit it.

You might be right. I could have mistaken it to mean something else...hehe I guess Mr. Ressler could care less either way.:beer

Been there.....when I saw the prototype camaro in atlanta at the big yearly Fbody convention I think I was drooling so much it looked like I must have been sucking on a whole bag of lemon drops! That beast sure was impressive to see in person, and in pictures I wasn't even sure I liked it at all.:)

rascal_rascal_99
02-06-08, 11:17 PM
I wish they'd put it into production just like it is...but I know that won't happen, this was the real deal silver prototype with a pretty mean sounding LS2 in it.

Here's a couple of the shots I took of it...I swear in person this car looked like it was a living beast, I kept waiting on it to growl or walk around the room all by its self!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/rascal_rascal_99/G10/CIMG0464.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/rascal_rascal_99/G10/CIMG0466.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/rascal_rascal_99/G10/CIMG0468.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/rascal_rascal_99/G10/CIMG0474.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/rascal_rascal_99/G10/CIMG0470.jpg

B17Crew
02-07-08, 11:57 AM
That said; If one can afford 100K+ for a car, what does re-sale matter??

Very true, if you’re purchasing a 100K+ Corvette, resale value is probably not going to be the first thing on your mind.

I’m glad to see Chevy continue with it’s ability to release a car that delivers such an incredible punch and will compete against cars costing two to three times as much.

B17Crew

B17Crew
02-07-08, 12:26 PM
Me too!
I cant wait to get our first one in! they are gonna rope it off so i cant drool all over it... :boogie jk

Iím anticipating seeing it in person. Iíve seen the images of the ZR1 in the magazines and on the net, but seeing it in person is where you begin to get a feel for a car. The lucky ones are going to be the ones who actually get to drive it!

B17Crew

B17Crew
02-07-08, 01:15 PM
This is where i wish we did test drives.... Thats all right, I know one of my customers will take me for a spin once they have reached 500 miles... Ill put it in the contract...hehehe :rotfl

That would definitely be worth adding in...

B17Crew

B17Crew
02-07-08, 02:33 PM
Its Official....im doing it....lol
jk... :chuckle it would be nice to do,... but most of my customers make the offer for me to go with them anyways. they know how much I enjoy corvettes and our customers are our friends. I had one of them try and have me take his wifes cooper S out for a hell ride! I so wanted to do it too but I was so busy. Next time!

Good position to be in, Iíd make the ride in the Z a long one!

B17Crew

B17Crew
02-07-08, 03:47 PM
Ill bring the video camera and post it on vette tube when I go!

Please do!

B17Crew

unclevito
03-06-08, 09:16 PM
A member of our club, Corvettes Limited, in So Cal said he just put a $20,000 depost on a ZR1. Says he should get it in September of this year. I didn't ask what he paid but I am sure I will find out soon enough.

The guy is a very aggressive driver. Not sure if it is the car for him for safety's sake.

Vito

Gersh
06-19-08, 03:16 PM
Hey, did you hear that Janet Jackson bought out the Barret-Jackson auction house? She is going to keep the name but change the spelling to: Bare It Jackson.

hardnoks
06-19-08, 10:27 PM
Hey, did you hear that Janet Jackson bought out the Barret-Jackson auction house? She is going to keep the name but change the spelling to: Bare It Jackson.:boogie:puke:bash