Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you're buying a '13 you'd better not wait that long. MY13 is going to end early and pickins might be slim if you wait until the Spring or Summer. If you're going to order a car you'd better do it now.

Corvette(s)
    2013 Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default junk tires

Just got my 13 GS manual tranny and magnetic selective ride w/dual mode exhaust. Have the Goodyear Supercar 2nd gen tires and they are WORTHLESS in 40 degree weather. That being said, I always had my Vette stored by Thanksgiving Day so I haven't done much driving in cold weather, but I got the 13 two weeks ago and I was NOT gonna store that right away!! Yes, I realize these are extreme perf SUMMER tires, but I cannot floor it anywhere in 1st gear or midway through 2nd without serious wheelspin. I do not feel safe with these junks under there. Nowhere does Chevy say this car is not to be driven in sub-40 weather and let me tell ya, it feels like I'm on a freakin roller coaster with these things. I now have 300 miles on them and that should have worn off the shiny rubber by now. Air pressures are set cold to 31 lbs cold. I love the car, but I can only hope this situation improves DRAMATICALLY in the Spring and 60+ temps. Anyone else have this issue?

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Any "extreme performance summer" tire will perform as do the Goodyear F1 Supercar EMTs in 40 weather.

If you want better traction in cold weather, put winter tires on the car.

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by lqueral View Post
    Just got my 13 GS manual tranny and magnetic selective ride w/dual mode exhaust. Have the Goodyear Supercar 2nd gen tires and they are WORTHLESS in 40 degree weather.

I'd had my '13 427 Vert with the Michelin PS2 tires for a few months now and they ain't any better in 40-degree temps either. I have similar issues with PS2's on my CTS V and previously with the GY SuperCars on my old CTS V.

Like Hib said:
    "Any "extreme performance summer" tire will perform as do the Goodyear F1 Supercar EMTs in 40 weather.

If you want better traction in cold weather, put winter tires on the car. "
    Wait until there's snow or ice on the road - talk about an "E" ticket ride! (I'm showing my age here.)
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    HyperDeath

Murder mysteries!

Corvette(s)
    2013 Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default slippage

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Any "extreme performance summer" tire will perform as do the Goodyear F1 Supercar EMTs in 40 weather.

If you want better traction in cold weather, put winter tires on the car.

As I said, this generally would not be an issue with me due to winter storage, but I kinda can see what the wags at Motor Trend were writing about months ago when they blasted the Grand Sport when they pitted it against the Porsche. They claimed they even had trouble keeping up with a minivan. I'll be covering it soon for rest of Winter so I'll re-assess in Spring, but I likely will consider a Michelin EMT when time comes to replace...and that might not be in too long a time based on what I'm reading here <pained grin>.

Corvette(s)
    2012 ZR1 CENTENNIAL EDITION
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Same here. I have michelin ps2 on my 2012 zr1 and the last week of November, before putting the car in storage for winter, I took it for a ride on a nice weekend and scare the sh...out of me, by myself. The difference in traction in unbeleivable. Tire slippage VERY easy, To easy. It was close to 0 celcius (about 34-35 F). Did my little ride very smoothly and put it away before desaster strike.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

With the ZR1 and the 427 Vert (which has the ZR1 size wheels and tires), finding a good all season (winter) tire is going to be tough. Lucky for me, Oklahoma winters aren't all that bad most of the time.
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    HyperDeath

Murder mysteries!

Corvette(s)
    2012 GS Centennial edition, 2011 C63 AMG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

To address what Iqueral was saying, most reviews you will find online for this tire aren't very positive, and that will include SoCal drivers, it's basically summer year round down here. I just took mine in to get the alignment checked this past Saturday, they did confirm it was "out of range" for the fronts but the rears were within range. I'm not a big fan of "range" when it comes to an alignment but it was done under warranty so i did not have to pay a dime for it. The car is at 6600 miles and my rears are about 4/32 left, I definitely won't replace with the stock tires, I will prob use Michelins. Recently we have been having light rains and i have to be very careful in 1st and 2nd gear, because my tires will spin out very easy with the light rain on the road. It is scary to the point that I do not drive it even with a light drizzle outside, my rear has spun out from under me in many occasions, even in the dry road, but I would attribute that to the current wear level of the tire, earlier in the year when I got the car in late March, those summer months, grip was ok, not excellent, but ok.

What is al ittle troublesome is the fact that when it was getting aligned this weekend, I asked for specific measurement front and rear and the dealer would not, instead they would use the OEM range since it was a warranty issue, but the spec i asked for was within the range of OEM, go figure. I also asked to be provided a copy of the specs, I didn't get it, but I also didn't check when I left the dealer.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well, my experience with the GY SuperCar tire (not on a Vette but a 1st generation CTS V) is that they wore out way too fast and basically sucked in the rain. Great dry traction however - maybe a bit too much with the V1 as it tended to wheel hop with a hard launch. I replaced the first set of SuperCar tires with another set with the same results - ~13K miles and they were gone also. I've heard similar stories from Vette owners with the SuperCar tires.

As for my V1, I found a tire with nearly as good dry performance, excellent wet weather performance, good winter performance and more than twice the life - they were GOODYEAR tires also: The F1 GS D3 and in EMT. Too bad GY does not make the D3 in a size that fits the C5 and C6 in all the different tires sizes they use. If they did, I'd give them a look when it comes time to replace tires.

The C6 gofaster versions all get Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. I've only got 6 months on my 427 Vert now so I have no idea how long they will last. Driven them in the rain and, while not great, they are not all that bad. They, like the SuperCar tires, don't stick to the road well when the tire/road is cold - like < 50 degrees. Nothing new there.

I do have 2 years experience on my Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on my CTS V (V2) Wagon. 15K+ miles now and still showing good tread. They are okay in the rain - even now. They aren't any better in the cold.

With my previous Vettes (narrow body versions), I replaced the GY tires (not SuperCar tires) with Michelin PS All Season ZPs and was pretty satisified with them. The AS ZP gives some away in summer performance to the summer tire but does not loose much when cold.

Now that both my performance cars come with Michelin PS2 tires, I have the summer months covered but will have to pay attention to the traction when it's cold out. I believe the PS2s will last longer than the GY SuperCar tires and that's good.

I checked TireRack.com and noted that no one makes an all season tire in the ZR1/427Vert sizes. Ditto for the C6 Grand Sport sizes - oh well. I suppose I could buy a custom set of HRE wheels in 19x6 and mount mud and snow tires on them for winter.
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    HyperDeath

Murder mysteries!

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    (snip)

The C6 gofaster versions all get Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. I've only got 6 months on my 427 Vert now so I have no idea how long they will last. Driven them in the rain and, while not great, they are not all that bad. They, like the SuperCar tires, don't stick to the road well when the tire/road is cold - like < 50 degrees. Nothing new there.

The C6 "gofaster" versions (ZR1 and Z06) get Michelin PS2s, but the "goevenfaster" versions (ZR1 w. PDE or Z06 w. Z07) get Pilot Sport Cup tires which are basically a run flat casing with a sort of low-tread-depth, racing-rain-tire tread design in a very soft tread compound.

If the PS2s are "not great" but "not all that bad," then PS Cups are "barely acceptable at reduced speed" in light rain and unsafe in anything more than that.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    The C6 "gofaster" versions (ZR1 and Z06) get Michelin PS2s, but the "goevenfaster" versions (ZR1 w. PDE or Z06 w. Z07) get Pilot Sport Cup tires which are basically a run flat casing with a sort of low-tread-depth, racing-rain-tire tread design in a very soft tread compound.

If the PS2s are "not great" but "not all that bad," then PS Cups are "barely acceptable at reduced speed" in light rain and unsafe in anything more than that.
    Glad you jumped in on the "Cup" tires since you have personal experience with them.
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    HyperDeath

Murder mysteries!

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Glad you jumped in on the "Cup" tires since you have personal experience with them.
    And that experience has been all good...given my expectations before I took delivery of the car.

I've got a hair over 5000 miles on them and I'm astonished at the tread life. Before I got the car, people were telling me I'd be lucky to get 3000 street miles out of them.

Now, I admit, I'm not running the car in track day events every weekend but the Cup tires are working well for the kind of driving I've been doing.

Based on my experience early-on, with full tread depth, driving in light-to-moderate rain with no areas of standing water on the road and keep the speed at the posted limit, the Cups are ok.

In the dry, they stick like freakin' crazy.
    Hib Halverson

Corvette(s)
    2013 Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Cup

Pro drivers are setting all kinda lap records at different raceways using those Cup tires. They're basically "cheater slicks", but I guess they really stick like glue (in dry, anyway). Shitty tread life, but that's the result of the soft rubber. I would gladly give up a LITTLE summer grip for a less scary experience in sub 50 weather, though. I'm not a 10/10th driver anyway, and most of us likely aren't either. I was amazed, though, at how scary the GS tires were at 40 degrees. Next year, It'll be covered in the garage by Thanksgiving, just as I always did with my 96 LT4 coupe, so no cold weather driving.

Corvette(s)
    2010 Torch Red Grand Sport convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

On my GS I got 15000 miles before I changed them to Bridgstones. My rear tires were bald (can't figure out why) and front tires were 2/3 eavenly worn, I had the alignment done to 0 camber and 0 toe when new. Main complaint on GY is that they were extremely dangerous to drive on in the wet the tread is only at 5/32 new so naturally they are going to wear out quick. The Bridgstones are 10/32 new

Corvette(s)
    68 conv 84 coupe 91 conv 13 GS Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Bad tires ?

Just brought my '13 Grand Sport back from Columbus Ohio to Chicago Il. The entire trip was cold and rain into snow and slush, ice covered roads after exiting tollway. Nearly 8 hours elapsed drive time and had NO problems or scary events on road. Traction control activated one time moving off standing start from traffic light. Have had worse experience driving the '68 in a torrential downpour than the '91 or '13. No A B S activation either. Kept up with traffic at around posted speeds or the speed traffic was flowing. Will sure look into backing down the alignment to a less aggressive spec to keep those pricey tires alive but sure don't think the car was any kind of dangerous or unmanageable. Looking forward to spring and a road trip to Florida.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast