Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Flag Tire swap or not

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    I'm looking at C6's and I've been noticing comments regarding tire wear, or tire problems in wet conditions especially with the wide bodies such as the Z06's and Grand Sports.

I read one of Hib's posts from earlier this year when he bought his new Z and swapped out the stock tires with P2's after picking up his car for the ride back to CA.

I might be looking at a new GS this weekend and I'm not sure I'll be able to pull a tire swap off after spending so much $$ on a new car.
    I won't make it a habit of driving in the rain but the tire wear concerns me as putting new tires on a brand new car would be a hard one to pull off with the wife - even though I understand.

What is GM doing to help out with this problem - if anything?
    I would say that all depends on your daily driving vs tracking time. You can count on the stock goodyear's for not being comfortable for every driving especially while driving around in temperatures around the mid 40 or so. They slide like crazy. If I'm tracking, the stock tires will soon be history but good for hooking up. I changed my non-track car out with Michelin PS2 's which are great for traction in wet cooler weather, hook well, and have a smoother drive to boot. Not to mention much better mileage expectations. 40k plus. The only issue is that the PS2 will fit a GS or Z06 wider rears. They do not come in that width for "zero pressure" PS2's.
    i actually put altered width rear OEM's on my rear to work for All Season ZP-PS2. I probably have the only late model GS out there with this set up. It's expensive to do but if you're limited $$$$ and don't drive in low temps I'd drive the GY, let them wear out and buy the PS2 non ZP's.

My 2 cents.

Corvette(s)
    2013 Triple Black GS, Previous cars: 1971 LT-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

>. You can count on the stock goodyear's for not being comfortable for every driving especially while driving around in temperatures around the mid 40 or so. They slide like crazy

I swapped out the GoodYear's that came with my LT-1 for the very same reasons, and the tires (GT+4's) were like brand new. In fact, I still have them.
    It only cost me a few hundred for new rims and tires for the C3 - it certainly will be much more costly to do the same for a new car, and like I said, much harder to justify. That's IF I buy.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

-JS

Corvette(s)
    1967 Red 427 Roadster, 2012 Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

michelins are now making their super sports in sizes that fit the Grandsport rears....they had just the fronts in the correct size but now are making the rears with what someone told me a 20,000 mile warranty....so when mine wear out at some point ...Michelins here I come.

Also...someone told me to check out the alignment specs on the pfdt? website....their street set up is great for street driving cars ...or so I am told...

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'm looking at C6's and I've been noticing comments regarding tire wear, or tire problems in wet conditions especially with the wide bodies such as the Z06's and Grand Sports.

I read one of Hib's posts from earlier this year when he bought his new Z and swapped out the stock tires with P2's after picking up his car for the ride back to CA.

I might be looking at a new GS this weekend and I'm not sure I'll be able to pull a tire swap off after spending so much $$ on a new car.
    I won't make it a habit of driving in the rain but the tire wear concerns me as putting new tires on a brand new car would be a hard one to pull off with the wife - even though I understand.

As mentioned, the tire manufacturer is making the tire that GM wants on the car, and GM has not changed the alignment specs to reduce premature inside tread wear, so the obvious conclusion is nothing. The C6 gets spectacular skid pad numbers because of the aggressive alignment and tire compound, and that's the whole point. The numbers look good in magazine tests, and during track days. If you want to set up for every day driving and cruising, realign the car, and replace the tires with something harder when they wear out. With a realignment, you should get 20,000 miles on the OEMs. That's not terrible for a soft compound performance tire.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by midyearroadster427 View Post
    Also...someone told me to check out the alignment specs on the pfdt? website....their street set up is great for street driving cars ...or so I am told...

Does anyone know anything about the referenced website...never heard of it, but I'd like to see their take on it.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    2004 Coupe, 1971 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Pfadt Corvette Alignment Guide

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the referenced website...never heard of it, but I'd like to see their take on it.
    The website is "pfadtracing.com".
    Pfadt Race Engineering

On their technical page
    Pfadt Race Engineering Technical Information

is "Corvette Alignment Guide".
    http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf

The guide shows alignment settings from Performance Street(mild) to Dedicated Track Car(wild).
    DG_VETTE

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Good job, thanks.

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    2012 GS Centennial edition, 2011 C63 AMG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Good news story on the GY tire

I had a flat on my rear passenger tire and took it to the local shop to get it patched, still plenty of thread left. They quoted me $30 to get it, i just wanted to get it done and over with so i agreed. Quoted 1 1/2 hours to do, i was like "really that long?" so right before they started, the manager called them off from doing it. He explained that those tires require a certification to be worked on, and if they did the job, it would nullify the tire's warranty. So they sent me to America's tire.

I went there, they had me in and out under 40 minutes and on top of that, it was FREE due to the tire's warranty.

i am one of those that will still change the tire to another brand when it's time to change it, but was pretty happy with how all that turned out. Turns out i had some sort of heavy duty staple on the tire, dead center. they were able to patch from the inside along with a plug outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Any Discount Tire will patch it free.

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by DGVETTE View Post
    The website is "pfadtracing.com".
    Pfadt Race Engineering

On their technical page
    Pfadt Race Engineering Technical Information

is "Corvette Alignment Guide".
    http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf

The guide shows alignment settings from Performance Street(mild) to Dedicated Track Car(wild).
    Thanks, I got the Grand Sport realigned to the recommended specs. Hope to get a few more miles before they go to the cord on the inside!

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    2012 ZR1 CENTENNIAL EDITION
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default agressive wheel alignement spec.

I everyone, I am a new member and this is my first post/reply. I am a mechanic and just bought my first vette, a 2012 zr1 centennial canadian edition (very low production), I was so excited when the delivery truck arrive, I could not stop my legs from shaking.
    I was very surprise that after 30 minutes driving I had pain in my back and shoulders. At first I was so nervous to drive it I thougt that the probleme was comming from a high level of stress due to the fact that I use to drive a Grand Caravan and a s60 Volvo and that the vette is way more responsive than the others. But after driving for two weeks, I almost started to look for a doctor. When I was driving, I had to hold the steering whit both hands and keep my upper body pretty stiff to be ready to any reactions from the car at every little bump or any other small imperfection off the road (here in Quebec, the roads are not always like bowling alley).
    After 900 kilometers (550miles), I took it on my alignement lift and check the readings. Did a little research on the net and found out that I was not alone and that many owner have had there car alignement whit less ''track ready'' specs. The car was -1.0 dergree negative camber on 4 corners and the front tires where already showing a little wear on the inside. As there is planty of adjustement and I don't go on the track whit the car, I reset the camber to -.5 degree on all wheels and kept all the other specs the same. Huge difference, the car was way more civilize and my wife could drive it but still after 1 hour driving it was again a little painful. I took it back on the alignement and set it at -.25 degree at 4 wheels. I can now drive the car whit one hand and enjoy a 2-3 hours trip whit no pain (and pleasure). Some might think that I may loose handling, but the car and the tires are so great and accordind to the way I drive (pretty smooth) I can only see positives points.
    The car is now 2100 kilometers (1300 miles) and I check my tires often, no more degradation + I am also shure that they will live much longer.
    English isn't my first language so I appologize for grammaticals errors but I am shure that you will understand the meaning.

Corvette(s)
    '96 GSc, '67 L68r, '78 L82, '70 L48c, '70 LT-1c
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Apologize for nothing. Your English is better than some of the other "English" that appears on here. Enjoy that ZR1. It must be nice...

A proper title for this thread would have been "Track Alignment On GS Is BS For Street". Why blame Goodyear for giving GM exactly what they asked for, or for GM's choice of alignment specs?
    Last edited by 1analguy; 09-24-12 at 08:53 AM.
    ____
    Bob

Corvette(s)
    2012 GS Centennial edition, 2011 C63 AMG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Outer wear on fronts???

I just replaced the stock rims a couple of days ago, my car is sitting at around 6600 miles, when the tires were unmounted, the tech came to me and brought me over to the tires and pointed out wear on the outer portion of the tire (positive camber, really GM??) I saw it and was like, WTF!!! I called my local dealer and told them, currently have an appointment for saturday morning, but somehow I got this feeling that the car will be "within specs" and they will try to charge me for something. I took my car to this same dealer at the 5k for the initial oil change and none of this "wear" was pointed out to me at the time or in the paperwork of their supposed 20 some point inspection. Regardless they always check tires and breaks because that means money to them. no tire wear was documented at the 5k service.

Quote Originally Posted by C6Maverick View Post
    Bought a 2012 Centennial Ed GS and was told by the dealer that they were told by Chevrolet not to align until 5-7K miles. My right rear tire was showing wear,so I took it in at 8K. Dealer said car was in alignment, but that tire would wear the fastest due to it is the power wheel (let's see limited slip, positivetrac......maybe not!). After venting with my local car club, I see a trend with GS owners on premature tire wear. Some have had all 4 replaced and others justa set, but had to get the GM Rep involved. I'm going back this week and insiston some action.
    If they won't acknowledge, while my car is on display at our national event, I'll make sure there are mirrors on each tire with placards annotating tirebrand, mileage expectancy, dealer name, service manager and dealership manager.And of course information on links on different Vette forums denouncing these tires and alignment specs.

Maybe after Eli Manning puts about 5-7K on his GS, he'll be a spokeperson for US! Attachment 8177Attachment 8178

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I know I'm about five months late in commenting on this but, I never changed the tires on my '12. I posted that I was considering going to PS2s after the PS2 Cups wore out, but I never did it. With 5000 miles on the car so far, the Cup tires have lasted far longer than I expected. I've got about half tread life to go. Considering the amount of miles we put on the car, another set of Cups is a possibility. On the other hand, we're going to use that car to lead the Caravan from California to B.G. in 2014 and for that trip, I will definitely have PS2s on the car in case of bad weather.

As for wear of the Goodyears on GSes...tire wear is a function of many things, design and quality of the tire only being two of the factors. The others are driving habits, pressures and alignment. My belief is that GM is pretty sloppy on alignments at the factory or the cars often have a significant change in alignment in the first couple of thousand miles. Either way, I hear of a lot of cars with the alignment off early in the car's life. My '12 was out of alignment at the 5000 mile mark. Interestingly, it was just inside the camber tolerance for warranty repair so I paid the dealer to reset the alignment to the specs in the FSM. Far as I'm concerned GM's "tolerance" is excessive, considering the cost of the tires on the car, because I had camber in the rear which was different from side-to-side by almost half a degree.

Another wear related issue which I think is critical with Grand Sports is a lot of people who are buying them with the F1 Supercar EMT tires, are not aggressive drivers and do not drive the car hard enough to really need the aggressive alignment that GM uses. On a GS with Supercars which is not driven hard, the owner is best to reset the alignment with less negative camber front and rear. That will do a lot to mitigate abnormal tire wear on the inside of the tread.

On the other hand, if you have a GS Manual with the dry sump LS3 and you autocross, occasionally do track days or just haul ass in twisty roads, think twice about making an alignment change for the sake of tread life because you'll loose some of the car's handing edge.

Corvette(s)
    2013 Triple Black GS, Previous cars: 1971 LT-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for posting.
    I'm still in the market for a '13 and I plan on (hopefully) purchasing in the next couple of months - I really appreciate all the information I can get regarding tire issues.

-John

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast