2011 Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Is under fuel rail cover? Towards the fire wall or radiator

Corvette(s)
    2011 Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Is it under the fuel rails? towards the fire wall or radiator ? Thanks sorry to be a pain in the a$$

Corvette(s)
    2011 ZR1 3ZR Jetstream Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Mine was built by Roger Schultz. Thanks Roger!!

Corvette(s)
    2011 Supersonic Blue Grand Sport Couple @eforce SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Not quite accurate

Quote Originally Posted by junkyardjohn View Post
    I am told by my chevy dealer that my engine was built at a plant where all other LS 3's were built. No dry sump, engine built by a group of people, what other thing will turn up next? Is it true, is the convertible grand sport the step child corvette?
    Do you have an automatic transmission? I have a 2011 Grand Sport Coupe. I have a dry sump system. The dry sump system comes with all cars GSs that come with a manual transmission. I put on a Eddlebrock eForce Super Charger on my car. There are two kits. One for manuals and one for Automatics. The manual transmission version has another package for the dry sump system. They did not they ask if I had a convertable or coupe, just which transmission I have. A good friend had a 2010 GS coupe with an automatic and he didn't have a dry sump system. So it's the transmissoin not the convertable that determines if there is a dry sump system.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Not quite true

I am told by my chevy dealer that my engine was built at a plant where all other LS 3's were built. No dry sump, engine built by a group of people, what other thing will turn up next? Is it true, is the convertible grand sport the step child corvette?
    I have a 2011 Grand Sport Corvette. I have a manual transmission and dry sump system. It's the transmission, not the top that determines if it has a dry sump system. A friend has a 2010 GS with an automatic transmission and he does not have a dry sump system. Guess Chevy figured people might race the manual transmission version and not the automatic version so the dry sump system was not include. Be happy you don't have it. To check your oil, there is a window of 5 to 20 mins after you shut the engine down to check the oil. Makes it difficult to check the oil when you stop for gas. Because there is a range, I find that the quantity moves up and down a 1/2 quart depending on when you check the oil.

Corvette(s)
    2010 grand sport covert. blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 2010 convertible

I have a 2010 corvette grand sport convertible with Manuel trans. no dry sump. It was never mentioned at the dealer. I was under the impression that it had the dry sump along with the trunk battery, etc.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default convertible

I have a 2010 corvette grand sport convertible with Manuel trans. no dry sump. It was never mentioned at the dealer. I was under the impression that it had the dry sump along with the trunk battery, etc.
    That's unusual. I have had mine for a year now and was told by my dealer that the dry sump was with all manual transmission Grand Sports. The dry sump system is for racing. Since convertibles can't race legally, they might not have it, but mine coupe, has a top that comes off and can't qualify for racing either. I'll ask my dealer the next time I'm there and do a little digging and find out. Like I mentioned, the dry sump system is not all it's cracked up to be. Cost me another $2500 when I had an eforce supercharger installed and then there is the 5min to 20 min window for checking it. I had 2 C6s before it and they were fine with out it. Only good thing about it is that some one hand made my engine. I just hope he had a good night before he made it. I haven't been able to find my name tag. When my dealer installed my Edelbrock, he may have taken it off, I'll have to check with him. When I get a chance, I'll spend a day and really check for it. Texted my buddy who is the corvette expert at my dealers. I'll get to the bottom of this.

Corvette(s)
    2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The dry sump on GS's is only on the coupe with manual trans only . A convertible with a manual trans will NOT get the dry sump or the hand assembled engine.
    2017 Grand Sport Admiral Blue
    2014 Premier Edition Z51
    2010 Grand Sport
    1990 White ZR1
    1972 Nova SS
    67 RS Camaro
    66 El Camino
    55 2 Door Wagon

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default From my Dealer

I checked with my buddy at my dealership who knows more about corvettes that most of Chevy. He said he called the factory and they said some of the early GSs with manual transmissions went out with out a Dry Sump but that later ones all have it on manual transmissions. Yours must be an early version of the GS in 2010. You could also go to the factory website at bowling green and ask them directly. They should know for sure since they build it. The website has a question page you can send them an email on. Their website is Bowling Green Assembly Plant - Home of the Corvette Hope this helps.

Corvette(s)
    2012 GS Centennial edition, 2011 C63 AMG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

mine is a 2012 GS vert, manual tranny and no dry sump oil system. mine would take about 6 quarts to change. I also tried to look for this plate and can't find it.

Corvette(s)
    2012 GS Centennial edition, 2011 C63 AMG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by korvettekarl View Post
    The dry sump on GS's is only on the coupe with manual trans only . A convertible with a manual trans will NOT get the dry sump or the hand assembled engine.
    i guess that answers why i can't find the plate.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by CentennialGS View Post
    mine is a 2012 GS vert, manual tranny and no dry sump oil system. mine would take about 6 quarts to change. I also tried to look for this plate and can't find it.
    If you don't have a dry sump oil system, then your have a regular engine, not a hand built one. Only the 427s and the 372 with dry sump are hand build and should have a plate. I can't find my plate, but I also had a eForce supercharge and it could have been taken off when they installed it.

Corvette(s)
    2012 Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default John Ross Built Mine

engineplate-jpg

Corvette(s)
    '96 GSc, '67 L68r, '78 L82, '70 L48c, '70 LT-1c
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

According to the 2013 Corvette website, the manual-equipped 427 convertible does come with a dry sump version of the LS7, which would necessitate a rear-mounted battery. If this is accurate, then theoretically it would now be possible for them to begin installing the hand-built, dry-sump LS3s into GS convertibles...if they chose to do so.
    ____
    Bob

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

There are three production Corvette engines currently assembled at the GM Performance Build Center at Wixom, MI.

LS9
    LS7
    LS3 dry sump

Dry sump LS3s are in 2010-2013 Grand Sport Coupes with six-speed manuals and RPO Z52.

Cars with manuals and no Z52 have wet sump LS3s which are built at an automated plant in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.

On an LS3 dry sump, to see the name plate, you have to remove the right side "beauty cover".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast