Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    2010 MY: Return of the Grand Sport 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default WOW - Having owned/driven both, I get tired of seeing replies like this...

Quote Originally Posted by JBsC5 View Post
    The 96 Grand Sport was a hell of a performance car... it regularly smoked C5's at the drag strip too...
    Apples to Apples/Stock 6 Speed vs. Stock 6 Speed: The LS1 was/is Top Dog!

1996 LT4 Performance Specs

1997 LS1 Performance Specs

Later . . . . . .
    6 Shooter

2010 MY: Return of the Grand Sport caninelver's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1988 convertible-blue pearl
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default 8000???

[quote=Hib Halverson;954462]If it is more marketing than substance, it's understandable.

With something like 8000 unsold cars from 07, 08 and 09 in inventory, GM has a big problem in moving metal as far as the Corvette goes.

I wonder where these unsold cars are, in some warehouse or on dealers lots. I would think GM would sell them a a nice discount.

Corvette(s)
    too many
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    Just curious, what are you referring to regarding Heinricy and the '96 GS? Also, what heart and soul in the car are you referring to? It's a decal pacakge and larger rear wheels that differentiate it from the base car.

Also as far as marking the end of the C4 run, it shared that limelight with the Collector's Edition. So the 1 of 6 thing of a C6 GS wasn't much different for the C4 GS.

I am certainly not trying to knock the car, I just found it pretty weird you ripping on GM if they introduce something that is mainly an appearance package to keep sales going, yet hold up as a shining example what was an appearance package to keep sales going.
    I do not believe you know of what you speak, a lot of thought went into the 1996 Grand Sport.

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just curious, what are you referring to regarding Heinricy and the '96 GS? Also, what heart and soul in the car are you referring to? It's a decal pacakge and larger rear wheels that differentiate it from the base car.

Also as far as marking the end of the C4 run, it shared that limelight with the Collector's Edition. So the 1 of 6 thing of a C6 GS wasn't much different for the C4 GS.

I am certainly not trying to knock the car, I just found it pretty weird you ripping on GM if they introduce something that is mainly an appearance package to keep sales going, yet hold up as a shining example what was an appearance package to keep sales going.
    That's not entirely true.

The Grand Sport came with only the LT4 engine. It did come with a unique paint/stripe package, but it also came with the ZR-1 rear tires and wheels, and if I'm not mistaken bigger brakes.

A lot of testing went into the Grand Sport as well as the adjustable suspension which was supposed to be more advanced than the FX3 from previous years, but was basically unique to the 1996 model year.

Sharing the limelight with the Collector's Edition? Not sure I totally agree with that.

The Collector's Edition came with unique Sebring Silver Metallic paint and ZR-1 front wheels. It could be ordered with either the LT1 or the LT4 engine. However, for all intents and purposes, the Grand Sport was the Swan Song of the 1996 model year, and its performance pretty much matched that of the ZR-1.
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

When does GM release official information on this new Grand Sport..

If it comes with a wide body and wider wheels and tires...and NOT too much of an increase of price...

GM will have a winner on its hands..

if GM was flush with cash...I'd would have been pleased to see direct injection on the LS3 for another 10% more hp...465hp on the direct injection LS3 should have been doable...

That would have completed the Grand sport package..and made it a slam dunk to drive consumers to shop the vehicle...and given better mileage and emissions at the same time... (always a fan of DSG but thats pretty much a pipe dream with the current state of GM affairs)

Just the wide body and wide wheels/tires would make a great grand sport..

Sometime in april would be a cool release date of GM official info on the grand sport? Does that sound about right?

TIA

Corvette(s)
    1990 red on red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    That's not entirely true.

The Grand Sport came with only the LT4 engine. It did come with a unique paint/stripe package, but it also came with the ZR-1 rear tires and wheels, and if I'm not mistaken bigger brakes.

A lot of testing went into the Grand Sport as well as the adjustable suspension which was supposed to be more advanced than the FX3 from previous years, but was basically unique to the 1996 model year.

Sharing the limelight with the Collector's Edition? Not sure I totally agree with that.

The Collector's Edition came with unique Sebring Silver Metallic paint and ZR-1 front wheels. It could be ordered with either the LT1 or the LT4 engine. However, for all intents and purposes, the Grand Sport was the Swan Song of the 1996 model year, and its performance pretty much matched that of the ZR-1.
    LT4 was on all 6-speed 1996 cars, not just Grand Sports. J55 brakes were standard on all Corvettes starting in 1995. The F45 suspension was also not a Grand Sport only thing, and I always assumed GM adopted it because it was cheaper than the Bilstein setup, though I don't know that for sure. I don't even think that most GS's had the F45, did they?

The only thing you could not actually order on any car but the GS was the 11" wide rear wheels (not on 'verts though), and the white stripe and red hash marks.

It is most definitely an appearance package. For the record, I have not said there is anything wrong with that. I found it odd that someone would rip this new car as just an appearance package, yet at the same time point out how the '96 GS "did it up right".

Corvette(s)
    1990 red on red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by GRANDSPORT View Post
    I do not believe you know of what you speak, a lot of thought went into the 1996 Grand Sport.
    It should be easy to expound on it then, no?

Corvette(s)
    '96 GS(697), '00 Millennium Yellow Cp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Hangin' with My GSR Peeps!!!

Friends:
    Can I get some 'Church' in here for Hutch and Mo? These two wonderful people (and their significant Others) have put their hearts and souls into keeping the '96 \\ GS in the forefront of everyone's consciousness, and I for one believe that they are due the respect of all Corvette enthusiasts.
    That said, the '96 \\ GS is a special car, and if you are like me, and have driven C-5 and newer Vettes, you know that while more refined, the C-5 is not as pure performance-feeling like the '96 \\ GS.
    See you at The Woodward

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default How special The '96 Grand Sport Really Is!

To Aurora40:

I have waited, paused, and, I have been interrupted by the server swap. During this time, I pondered whether or not it was appropriate to respond to your comments about the '96 GS, and how you believe, apparently, that the car is just another '96 C-4 model, hoping to boost sales for thay year, in advance of the C5.

I do not know you, but, I suspect that you are more of a "car person" than I am, since I am relatively new to these forums, and also, due to the fact that until recently, I thought a throttle body was a carburator. Yes, I am still learning. Someday, I will earn the title of "Car Guy."

That said, the '96 GS is truly a special car, and moreover, the people who own them know that like all Corvettes, they are special. And further, as the leader of the Grand Sport Registry, a Mr. John 'Hutch' Hutchinson frequently says, quote, "There is just something about a GS." A more factually correct statement has rarely been uttered.

Here is some additional proof as to how special the '96 GS really is. What I am going to disclose to you is information sent to me privately, via email, by John Heinricy, who as you well know, is the heart and soul of the GS, and along with other dedicated GM employees, fought to get the car built. I am apologizing to John in advance, since I know that the following comments from John were not originally intended for public broadcast. Given the tone you evoked in your ealier post, I am taking license with John's comments to me, as I believe John would not object, since my sole purpose is to correct what appears to be a distorted historical record on this forum.

One of many, many examples of how special the '96 GS car is can be traced to a committment John had to make requiring the "saleability" of all the GS cars The General built. One can imagine why such a requirement was needed, given the relatively small number of cars (1,000), and the need by the bean counters to spread the development costs of the GS over as wide a production number as possible, in order to maintain some level of profitaiblity.

John related to me that all cars produced, including the Pilot cars, numbering perhaps 20 or so, had to be up to high quality standards, and be deliverable to the dealers for sale, after all the photo shoots, car shows, and long-term testing was completed. No crushing of GS cars was to be performed.

This high quality standard has become the norm for The General, and John Heinricy deserves the credit for making it happen, and for being the first GM Manager to accept such a high standard.

Every '96 GS owner knows how special the car is, and some know it more than most. I consider myself to be one of those fortunate souls, since I have owned both a '96 GS, and a C5 ('00 Coupe). Without question, the GS is the better car, because it gives the driver more of a performance car feel. I liken the comparison to what The General was trying to produce when the hardtop coupe was introduced a few years ago, e.g. fewer options, a stronger, stiffer car, but more of a race car feel.

Yes, as Hutch says, "There is just somenthing about a GS!"

Live It!

Spence
    Grand Sport Registry Lifetime Member
    Re-Owner GS \\ 697

Corvette(s)
    1990 red on red ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by sbrady View Post
    That said, the '96 GS is truly a special car, and moreover, the people who own them know that like all Corvettes, they are special. And further, as the leader of the Grand Sport Registry, a Mr. John 'Hutch' Hutchinson frequently says, quote, "There is just something about a GS." A more factually correct statement has rarely been uttered.
    I'm not sure why what I said caused such a stir? I don't believe I ever said the car was not special. As you note, many Corvettes are special. I also think the Grand Sports, and the LT4, are pretty neat. I think what they did to send off the C4 (and the Chevy smallblock) was great, especially considering they likely had little time or budget in which to do it.

That said, it does not change what constituted the Grand Sport option. I don't understand why it is considered a slight to point out it was an appearance package.

Corvette(s)
    '77 L48, '53/'03 CEC, 2016 C7 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'm not sure why what I said caused such a stir? I don't believe I ever said the car was not special. As you note, many Corvettes are special. I also think the Grand Sports, and the LT4, are pretty neat. I think what they did to send off the C4 (and the Chevy smallblock) was great, especially considering they likely had little time or budget in which to do it.

That said, it does not change what constituted the Grand Sport option. I don't understand why it is considered a slight to point out it was an appearance package.

Aurora, it's not WHAT you say, it's the way you say it. (Don't mean to sound like the "mom" here but I guess I do).

And as for the "nothing more than an appearance package"....how many corvettes have been consecutively numbered and actually limited - in the GS case to 1000 - instead of limited to as many as GM could make?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default The '96 GS Is Truly Special

Aurora40:
    Greetings.
    If you continue to believe, as it appears that you do, in the notion that the '96 GS is about an appearance package, and nothing more, then my previous attempt to illuminate the historical record that you are conveniently (intentionally???) omitting, was a waste of my valuable time, as well as the valuable time of all those Corvette enthusiasts who took the time to read our posts on this forum.
    Albert Einstein once opined that doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting a different result to occur, was one definition of insanity. Thus, any further attempts by me to correct your spurious beliefs about the '96 GS would be 'insanity.'
    I will therefore, cease any effort to correct your aforementioned spurious beliefs, and instead, I will ask you to read up on the history of the '96 GS.
    See you at The Woodward Dream Cruise!
    Live It!
    Spence
    Grand Sport Registry Lifetime Member
    Re-Owner GS \\ 697

Corvette(s)
    Nope, Nada, Nein
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Many years ago I owned GS328. Over the years I had her, I did a lot of reading about the '96 GS's. Based upon everything I read, I came to the conclusion that Mr. Heinricy's original goal with the GS was for it to be the sole swan song for the C4's.

The GS was to be the only '96 'Vette available with the LT4 and a 6-speed. But bean-counters being who they are, Mr. Heinricy had to spread out the cost of developing the LT4 over as many cars as possible. And thus the LT4 became available in CE's and "regular" '96's.

I can understand how some might think the GS is just an appearance package, with the LT4 and 6-speed tranny being available in other non-GS cars in '96, but I do believe that the the original intention was for only the GS to have the LT4, much like the LT5 was only available in the ZR-1.

As for the upcoming 2010 Grand Sport, I eagerly await more info!

Jason

Corvette(s)
    2016 Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I agree with Jason. I also used to own GS#582 and was extremely proud to be the owner of such a low production Corvette. To some, it might appear to be just a unique paint package, but the GS went much further than that which Spencer, Mo and Hutch have addressed.

I no longer own my GS#582, but I have more than 5 years of memories with a very special, unique Corvette.

Elaine

2016 Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic Z06

National Corvette Museum Member

Sales
    Corvette Mike New England
    Toll-free: 877-427-8388
    Cell: 617-872-8252

"Corvette Mike New England"

Louis Bartay

Quote Originally Posted by Aceves81 View Post
    What do you mean "a sad attempt?"....Your negative comments are not welcome here in this forum!...if you don't like the new GS, don't buy it!...we have to be supportive of GM and Chevrolet in this time of crisis, my friend!!...if you don't like Corvettes, then why do you own several?...can you explain that one to me??...it doesn't take a rocket scientist!!

Lets see you are a new member and you are speaking for "The Forum" Mo has her opinion and you have your's. If you owned a GS you would fell the same way. She Loves Corvette's and she is Welcome here same as you. If you knew her and all the work she does for Corvette events you would Not have posted what you did.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast