2008 - 2013 Corvette: Service Bulletin: PF48 / PF48F Oil Filter Redesign
Model Year: 2008 - 2013 Corvette with LS3 Engine
Subject: PF48 / PF48F Oil Filter Redesign
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Service Technical Bulletin
Number: Ref. number: Parts / Product / G_0000190758
To: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Dealers
ACDelco Oil Filters PF48 (GM# 89017524) and the Durapack version, PF48F (GM# 19167894) are transitioning to a new design that offers improved performance. The new part numbers are: PF48E(GM# 19303975) and PF48F (GM# 19303974). This will be a rolling change and the old version will not be available once stock is depleted.
The PF48E primary performance improvement relates to the relief valve design. The PF48E has a compression spring loaded nylon poppet that outperforms the current valve design. Other benefits:
- Element integrity (collapse strength) is increased by 25%. This is because the nylon cores are perfectly round.
- Filter media, which is unchanged, is no longer potted in adhesive which blocks filtration area at each end.
- Filtration performance (efficiency and capacity) are both unchanged.
- The filter shell configuration is unchanged. Existing cap wrenches continue to fit.
- Hydrostatic burst and impulse fatigue performance are both unchanged.
- Relief valve performance is much improved and statistically more stable.
- Hot oil durability is improved by elimination of adhesive.
- Cold weather performance (-30 C) with dexos 1 oil is excellent.
- Improved level of robustness to water accumulation.
- Nitrile material used in the sealing gasket and the anti-drainback valve is unchanged.
- PF48E filters meet performance specifications as defined by GM Powertrain.
- PF48E filters will be used in OE production in the near future.