1978 Corvette: Service Bulletin: Fuel Filter
Subject: Fuel Filter
Model and Year: 1978 Corvette
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Service Technical Bulletin
Bulletin No: 78-T-9
Date: Feb. 1978
TO: ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS
Some 1978 Corvette owners may experience lean surge or other symptoms of a restricted supply of fuel to the engine. This may be the result of fuel tank liner protective coating residue partially clogging the carburetor fuel filter and/or the fuel tank pick-up tube screen.
If the described conditions are encountered, inspect, and if necessary, replace the carburetor fuel filter. If the carburetor fuel filter does not appear clogged or if the problem persists after replacement of a clogged filter, follow the service procedure shown on page 2.
- Remove fuel tank metering unit following the procedures described on page 6C-83 of the 1978 Chevrolet Passenger Car Service Manual.
- Remove the fuel pickup tube screen and wash in water to remove all residue; replace if unable to clean completely.
- Remove all fuel from fuel tank.
- Using a water soaked sponge, frequently rinsed in clear water, wipe all residue from all interior surfaces of the fuel tank.
- Wipe interior of fuel tank dry of all water.
- Reinstall fuel tank metering unit and refuel vehicle.
NOTE: This procedure may be performed without removing the tank from the vehicle.