1974 Corvette: Service News: New Warner 4-Speed Released Interim 1974 Production
Subject: New Warner 4-Speed Released Interim 1974 Production
Model and Year: 1974 Camaro and Corvette Models
Source: Chevrolet Service News
Page Number: 1-7
Date: February, 1974 - Volume 46 - Number 2
A new Warner 4-speed has been introduced for Camaro and Corvette models interim 1974 production. Two near gear ratios are being offered, a new low wide ratio of 2.64:1 and low close ratio of 2.43:1. The currently released Muncie 4-speed will be maintained for the remainder of the 1974 model year.
The disassembly and assembly procedure found on pages 1 thru 8 should be used when servicing the new Warner 4-speed.
Disassembly of Transmission
NOTE: An exploded view of the transmission is provided in Figure 3 found on page 2 to aid in the disassembly of the transmission.
- Shift transmission into second gear. Remove shift cover attaching bolts, cover assembly and gasket.
- Remove drive gear bearing retainer bolts, retainer and gasket from front of transmission.
- Remove lock pin from reverse shifter lever boss (Fig. 1) and pull shifter shaft partially out to disengage the reverse shifter fork from the reverse gear.
- Remove the rear extension attaching bolts, tap extension rearward with a soft hammer to start removal. Remove extension and gasket.
- Remove speedometer gear outer snap ring (Fig. 2). Slide or tap gear from mainshaft then remove second snap ring.