1968 Corvette: Service Bulletin: Cracking of the Plenum at the Right Hood Latch Plate
Subject: Cracking of the Plenum at the Right Hood Latch Plate
Model and Year: 1968 Corvette
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Service Technical Bulletin
Bulletin No: 68-T-68
Date: Nov. 11, 1968
TO: ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS
Cracking of the fiber glass plenum in the area of the right hood latch may be experienced on some 1968 Corvettes. This cracking is due to the manufacturing process of the plenum causing a glass rich condition in this area. This condition was corrected at the start of the 1969 production by the addition of a reinforcement plate to the area.
Whenever this cracking condition is encountered in the field, it may be corrected by riveting a reinforcement plate Part No. 3953071 to the outer surface of the plenum as outlined under Service Procedure.
PARTS AND LABOR DATA
Part No: 3953071
Part Description: Plate Assembly
*Time: D.M.N. as required for 7 - 3/16" x 5/8" Pop Rivets
- Remove right hood latch assembly from the plenum panel and remove cowl vent grille.
- Drill out two rivets retaining existing stud plate to plenum using a 7/32" dia. drill bit. Remove stud plate through cowl vent opening.
- Position reinforcement plate on plenum as shown in sketch and drill seven (7) holes 7/32" dia. at hole locations in plate. The two (2) outboard holes are not accessible for drilling.
- Attach the reinforcement plate to the plenum using 3/16" x 5/8" "Pop" Rivets.
- Install and adjust right hood latch assembly as outlined in the August 1968 issue of "Chevrolet Service News." Install cowl vent grille.