Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rob
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 (Canadian) Bright Red / Black

Default Next Generation Corvette to be Mid-Engined?

From AutoExtremist.com:

The Corvette C7. Publisher's Note: There's a furious debate going on in the halls of GM as you read this. The subject? The fate of the next-generation Corvette C7. On one side are the mid-engine Corvette boosters, who are absolutely convinced that the time has finally come for Corvette to become a mid-engined sports car. On the other side are the people who believe that taking the Corvette to a mid-engine configuration would immediately destroy the performance- for-the-dollar quotient, the one hallmark the Corvette has been famous for almost since Day One. After driving Audi's R8 this week, I tend to agree with the "keep Corvette front-engined" faction. The R8 is a very nice car, but just how many six-figure sports cars can exist in the U.S. market, and do so profitably?

Look for the debate to go this way: The next-generation Corvette will still be front-engined, but it will be even lighter than the current car and have more than one engine option - including a new, small-displacement, aluminum V-8 to go along with yet another development of the current V-8. This car will be the mainstream Corvette that will still deliver on its performance-for-the-dollar imperative. But wait, that's not all.

Then look for an extremely limited production run (less than 500) of an advanced, mid-engined Corvette that will play in the plus six-figure category - and deliver blistering performance that will surpass exotic sports cars from around the world costing hundreds of thousands more. This will be the technological "statement" car from GM that the "True Believers" within the corporation have long been waiting for. You read it here first, folks. - PMD
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Between V6 "Stingray" rumors, 600hp supercharged Blue Devil rumors, AWD Corvette rumors, and mid-engined Corvette rumors (again)- it looks like GM is thinking about a lot of different stuff for the C7/8.

The main question in all these rumors isn't whether or not these "Corvette" iterations would be a success, but rather, would the change in the engineering status quo upset purists?

I say that if GM truly wants to go through with all these variants then prehaps the Corvette should become its own brand- separate from Chevrolet. Corvette then becomes not only "America's sports car" but also "America's sports marquee"

By doing this, there can still be a front-engine, RWD, NA-V8 (Maybe only put the flags logo on this model to keep it special-the "Corvette Corvette" if you will). This will keep the long-time Corvette fans happy (I think). But, GM can add models to the Corvette brand. Things like a V6 roadster or a mid-engine premium car can now be done without expanding the Chevrolet Corvette beyond its means.

Banned
    Corvette(s)
    2004 Torch Red Coupe

Corvette by Nissan

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 #312 **SOLD**

I can't imagine why GM would want to dilute the Corvette name by making the Corvette its own marquee. IMHO, that would make the Corvette no more special than the Mustang, especially by adding a V6. Make the SS or whatever they plan on calling it an option or a limited run production model.

Jim
    Life's too short to be unhappy.

trs

Default Supreme Vette

The effort is supreme capability at 'reasonable' ( relative term here ) cost, right? The current transaxle configuration coupled with the great small block Chevy has already shown what it's capable of, check the ALMS record for that. Also check the videos of track confrontations between the current Z-06 and megabuck supercars like the F430 Ferrari, Porsche turbo, ford gt and lamborghini. The current Z-06 runs right with all of them and rips off a 7min 43sec time at the Nordschleife.
    The difference between the transaxle and a mid-engine configuration comes down to moment of inertia and the force necessary to get the car to rotate as it is made to turn, right? Weight distribution can be varied in either layout, so that's not the main consideration. Less force necessary to turn the car would be an advantage in tight corner / sharp turn road runs, but would be less of an advantage across high-speed straights, where stability is paramount. It would come down to what type of race capability the Vette would be required to have, supreme agility or high-speed stability. Of course, many mid-engine cars are stable at high speed, but they usually run a lot of aerodynamic force to assist.
    My opinion? Keep the transaxle and use the development money to perfect the suspension, chassis and aerodynamics.
    Thanks!

p.s. NO V-6! That's final.

Rob
    Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koolaid117 View Post
    I can't imagine why GM would want to dilute the Corvette name by making the Corvette its own marquee. IMHO, that would make the Corvette no more special than the Mustang, especially by adding a V6. Make the SS or whatever they plan on calling it an option or a limited run production model.

Jim
    I don't think I agree. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Porsche are their own marques and I can't say their names are diluted.

Corvette(s)
    07 c6z RFE, 04 c5z CE

Leave our corvette ALONE.

Why do we always have to change things. Today's corvette is just right. Front engine. Rear wheel drive. Four lights in the back. Two (non-popup) lights in the front.

NO MORE CHANGES please.
    -zBill.

Corvette(s)
    www.67HEAVEN.com

Easy, Smook. I first heard this rumour 37 years ago, in 1970...........the Aerovette.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...aerovette.html

I even drove it in 1982.

Corvette engines are still in the front.

Corvette(s)
    2002 MY Roadster

Well if GM's Corvette division is doing as well as I have heard, Staying in the black for GM. I can image some brass wanting to make this change. (if it ain't broke, fix it until it is). I however in my own opinion see this as a downward spiral for the Corvette. I just cannot envision them being able to sale enough 6 figure cars to maintain profitability.

They may opt to maintain the current Corvette status quo, but I can see this coming now, they will end up using the Corvette sales to subsidize this six figure endeavor, ending the standard Corvette profitability. Next to fix this some more people or other new brass will decide to scrap the six figure Corvette and decide to go with a family size six cylinder with a fold down baby seat option.

Pseudomind is a member of the Jacksonville Corvette Club

“Spirituality gives hope, religions divide people”

From a GED to an MBA

Banned
    Corvette(s)
    2004 Torch Red Coupe

Jim
    Mustang by Toyota Corvette by Nissan

Ya all just don't get it

Rob
    Corvette(s)

I say give them a chance.

One of the advantages of putting the engine in the back is a change in design.

Personally, I have always loved the look of mid-engined sports cars.

I agree that GM has a damn good recipe on their hands with the current Corvette powertrain layout, but give them the opportunity to play around and explore new avenues.

However, do it judiciously. Keep the main Corvette staple - front-engined while producing a limited production mid-engined model. Learn from designing and developing it and take what you learn and apply it to the main Corvette platform.

In some ways, this is what GM has done with cars like the CERV III. They are engineering and design test beds. AND, the Corvette as well as Cadillac have, historically, always been testbeds of new technology at GM which has later, trickled down into the other platforms.

Last but not least, take a look at what GM has done with the OHV pushrod, front-engine powertrain over the years. Who's to say, that GM Powertrain couldn't make similar advancements to the Mid-Engined powertrain layout?

The Corvette continues to be constantly criticized for it's OHV pushrod architecture and leaf-spring rear-end, and yet, day in and day out, the Corvette continues to eat the lunch of its competition.

At one time, the OHV pushrod design (the current generation) and the leaf spring were nothing more than "what if we did this" between GM employees in hallways.

Where would be today if they simply remained "what ifs" in hallways?

Banned
    Corvette(s)
    2004 Torch Red Coupe

I hate to be gloom and doom but GM and Ford can hardly pay the Health care costs for its retired employees much less tinker with a one line car like the Corvette and Mustang in hopes that they pull them out of the debt they are in. Ford is also in real deep do-do as reported yesterday. I myself don't hold out much hope that they can recover. GM's and Ford's business models are just not working and Toyota and Nissan are licking their chops on the sidelines just waiting to buy them out. I hope you all don't think that the Corvette alone will save GM.

In closing I hope that I am the one who is wrong in all this

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 #312 **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I don't think I agree. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Porsche are their own marques and I can't say their names are diluted.
    Those manufacturers aren't in the business of mass sales. That is what worries me. There aren't any "entry level" Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Astons, or Porsches. I think by adding a V6 it cheapens the Corvette. How would you feel if Corvette introduces the new V6 Corvette and the new V6 Mustang outperforms it or the new foreign 4 cylinder. I know how I would feel, not good. Personally, I like having something different out there. Yes, there are lots of Corvettes out there, but there aren't nearly as many of them as there are Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds. GM might want to see Corvette everywhere, I don't.

Jim
    Life's too short to be unhappy.

Rob
    Corvette(s)

Those manufacturers aren't in the business of mass sales. That is what worries me. There aren't any "entry level" Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Astons, or Porsches. I think by adding a V6 it cheapens the Corvette. How would you feel if Corvette introduces the new V6 Corvette and the new V6 Mustang outperforms it or the new foreign 4 cylinder. I know how I would feel, not good. Personally, I like having something different out there. Yes, there are lots of Corvettes out there, but there aren't nearly as many of them as there are Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds. GM might want to see Corvette everywhere, I don't.

Jim
    Jim,

We're not talking about adding a V6 here. We're talking about a mid-engine design.

I already wrote about making a Corvette brand with different sports cars, but that idea looks to be unpopular .

And just calling the car "Chevrolet Corvette MR" or sometinhg like that is even more unpopular, but why not just use a different name?

GM can make a six-figure mid-engine car and call it an old concept name like Cadillac Cien, Chevrolet Indy, or Pontiac Banshee. Or, they could just come up with an all new name.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a car with the same name and two engine layouts so not changing something would be odd/confusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast