Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default (RARE!) 1995 Corvette Grand Sport - Yes, a 1995!

Fellow enthusiasts - I thought I would share some photos of a VERY unique Corvette that recently was uncovered for the world to see (again).

The car, a 1995 Chevrolet Corvette, languished on the lot at Delphi, a General Motors supplier who worked on some of the electronics of the Vettes of that era. Remembered by one of the engineers there at Delphi, he recently made sure the car made its way to Kentucky, and was donated to the National Corvette Museum over the Labor Day holiday weekend.

The car is prototype number 003 from the Grand Sport project and although it is a 1995, it is fitted with many parts that found its way into production for 1996. Items including the F45 suspension were taken from idea through design and application on this car. Molded export flares were added, and there is an LT4 engine within its front frame rails. While some of the ideas made production, others did not. The body colored door handles did not make the cut, and the seat embroidery was changed for final production.

Wearing Admiral Blue paint, the stripe was never applied to this car, as the final design had not been determined then. The earlier 001 and 002 cars, wore different stripe designs from production schemes, each failing to make the leap to RPO content. Sharp eyes will notice the wheels do not match the car and also are much narrower than a performance model like this should have on it. The reason for this is the original wheels were “borrowed” for another project while the car was on that back lot, never to be seen again. While the dry rotted tires got the car to the museum, hopefully they can be changed for something else in due time.

General Motors has not been in the business of donating cars and in fact, when this cars whereabouts became known, the general wanted it back. That keen Delphi engineer claimed Delphi owned the car, not GM and when he showed proof of a sale from GM to Delphi for the nominal amount of one dollar; the dispute car was over. Delphi gave the car to the NCM for free

Enjoy this glimpse of Corvette history, as the car was one of the rarely seen “mules” that eventually lifted Corvette performance to a higher level.

a few more pics

Corvette(s)
    Nope, Nada, Nein

Most excelent!

I must admit that when read the title of the thread I was reminded of a guy a few years back that almost bought a purple "Grand Sport" that turned out to be a stolen car that had been pieced together from other stolen cars. I am glad to see that this mule survived and is avaible for public viewing.

After having owned a GS for a little over 3 years, it is interesting to see the prototypes. I must say that I like the black door handles (easier to keep clean than painted ones, and they matched the black wheels), and staggered "Grand Sport" embroydery on the seats, that made it to the production GS's

Jason

Corvette(s)
    2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible

Awesome story and photos, Chris! Thanks for posting it.

Jane Ann

p.s. Look for a complete feature story on this car in an upcoming issue of Corvette Enthusiast Magazine

Corvette(s)
    www.67HEAVEN.com

Ex-cel-lent, Chris.

Corvette(s)
    Two 96 Grand Sports - coupe #633 & convert #707

Thanks for posting this information. This Grand Sport "mule" is indeed a nice addition to the collection at the National Corvette Museum. I can't wait to see it in person!
    John 'Hutch' Hutchinson hutch@hashmarks.com
    The Grand Sport Registry, C5 Fighter Squadron, NCCC,
    Central Florida Corvette Association, NCM LIfetime #597

Glad you all enjoyed seeing it - It was a car that virtually everyone discounted, as they walked past

Taking a minute or two to pause and chat with the guy beside the car, he confirmed my suspicions that is was indeed something special - the car wore many decals on parts, stating they were exempt, etc. I had to know MORE!

The fella with the car held it so near & dear, he used it as part of a wedding - it was the "getaway car" or something to that effect

Enjoy!
    Chris

Corvette(s)
    '96 coupe (Torch Red), '85 4+3 coupe (flat black)

That one belongs parked next to the '83 at the museum. Excellent find and story!
    Robert Williams
    got nitrous? Get it at:
    Advanced Automotive of Cape Coral
    (239)573-9933
    www.advancedautocc.com

ASE Master Auto Technician

"There are two uniquely American vehicles that have NEVER been successfully copied: The Chevrolet Corvette, and the Harley-Davidson motorcycle. I'm fortunate enough to own both....God Bless America!"

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)

Thanks for the pictures and story Chris. I knew that (former CAC administrator) Jason would spot this thread.

I get into Delphi plants (and other automotive suppliers) regularly in my job and I always look to see what is setting around. I have noticed Corvettes and other cars setting in the test car parking areas that have not moved for years. One C5 at Saginaw comes to mind that sat there for a long time. It was even there a year or so after the C6s came out and then one day it was gone. Makes you wonder just what it was.

Tom
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry

Corvette(s)
    1992 ZR-1 #443

Good job on the story and pic's! Nice to see the CM get yet another rare vette. Hard to believe that the good old "GENERAL" was not so nice...glad they didn't get it back. Sometimes it really makes me wonder about the General!!!

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior

What a awesome find! Glad it’s going to a good home.

B17Crew

Thanks again for the compliments

It was a VERY COOL Corvette and as mentioned, there are LOTS of cars (and many Corvettes) languishing out behind Delphi, and other GM supplier / partner buildings

The full story on this car will be in the new issue of Corvette Enthusiast:

Corvette(s)
    none right now :(

Looks like that LT4 has EGR on it

What a great find... I wish those painted handles made it into production!

Corvette(s)
    Many Corvette Diecast models :)

Nice find for sure! That car is right at home at the NCM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast