Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Rob
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 (Canadian) Bright Red / Black

Default The Rear-Engine Corvette That Was Never to Be

The Rear-Engine Corvette That Was Never to Be

By STUART SCHWARTZAPFEL
    Published: January 11, 2013
    New York Times

TIME LAPSE The 1964 XP-819 had the unmistakable proportions of a rear-engine car, but its shape previewed the third-generation Corvette of 1968

ON Sunday evening, just ahead of two press preview days for the 2013 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Chevrolet will unveil the seventh generation of the Corvette. While the two-seat sports car accounts for a small fraction of Chevy’s total sales, it is a vital element of the brand’s image — and, in fact, its longest-running passenger-car nameplate.

The debut of the redesigned 2014 model, known among the Corvette faithful as the C7 and set to go on sale in the fall, will answer questions that have swirled around enthusiasts’ online forums for years. Among the unknowns to be resolved is the car’s basic layout: will the engine be in the front as it has been for 60 years (most likely), or will it at last be positioned behind the passenger compartment (quite doubtful), as many fans of exotic sports cars have long felt it needed to be?

As details of the new car are being revealed in Detroit, some 600 miles to the east a storied Corvette engineering prototype will be progressing toward the final phases of a restoration. The XP-819, a one-of-a-kind research vehicle developed by General Motors engineers in the 1960s, is one of the cars that has given rise to recurring rumors that each new generation of Corvette may be the breakthrough model elevating the Chevy to supercar status. Long out of sight after a crash during testing, the XP-819 is being brought back to life at the Long Island shop of Kevin Mackay.

Full Story: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/au...anted=all&_r=0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13VETT1-articleLarge.jpg  
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Corvette(s)
    '96 GSc, '67 L68r, '78 L82, '70 L48c, '70 LT-1c

Now that you show the photo, I do remember this car. Funny how it looked so neat at the time, but now the proportions somehow just don't seem right. I much prefer the "Four Rotor" car to this one...
    ____
    Bob

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th

Isn't it on display at the NCM in the Sky Dome?
    Tuna
    NCM Lifer - NCM Fighter Squadron
    2014 Caravan Captain - OK/TX Panhandle
    Central OK CC - Lone Star CC

Corvette(s)
    '96 GSc, '67 L68r, '78 L82, '70 L48c, '70 LT-1c

If you mean the "Four Rotor" car, when I was there a couple of months ago I was looking for it and couldn't find it. If you mean the XP-819...I saw a car up on a stand in the Dome that looked quite similar, but I'm remembering that it looked longer/lower than this and I'm also remembering it being blue. I could be wrong on both counts...
    Last edited by 1analguy; 02-17-13 at 02:53 AM.
    ____
    Bob

Mac
    Corvette(s)
    yellow 1973 coupe L82 4 spd with no power options

I recently stumbled upon an article about the two rotor Corvette that is still in a museum in England.

-Mac

The DeLorean that never was - Telegraph
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.