Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Rob
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 (Canadian) Bright Red / Black

Exclamation GM's Henderson: Corvette's future is secure

GM's Henderson: Corvette's future is secure

By DALE JEWETT
    AutoWeek Magazine

Watch the video: VetteTube - Corvette Videos, Corvette Crashes, Corvette Burnouts, Corvette Racing

The future of the Chevrolet Corvette is secure, General Motors CEO Fritz Henderson says, even has GM dramatically slashes its size and costs.

In an exclusive interview with AutoWeek, Henderson says that not only is the Corvette's current platform undergoing continual development, but the future seventh-generation car, dubbed C7, is also on track.

He would not specify when the C7 Vette would hit showrooms.

Henderson was bullish on Corvette. Not only is he a Corvette enthusiast who drives one, he knows that it contributes to the company's bottom line.

According to GM's top man, "Corvette pays its rent."

The current sixth-generation C6 Corvette has been in production since 2005. The C6 platform used major components from the C5 fifth-generation Corvette, but with substantial upgrades.

AutoWeek reported in October that work on the C7 Vette had been put on an indefinite hold as GM scrambled to cut costs. The talk then was that the C6 platform could be as old as 12 years before the C7 was ready to go.
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Corvette(s)
    2008 VIctory Red Z06

Nice article.

Thanks for posting.

I am happy to hear the C7 will happen someday. I figured it would either by GM or by whomever took over the BG plant...
    Glenn R Murphy
    Southampton, PA
    2008 Victory Red Z06

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The C6 platform used major components from the C5 fifth-generation Corvette, but with substantial upgrades.
    That's an interesting statement because I thought when the C6 was being discussed in pre- and post-production, one of the points made was that it's almost entirely new with not much being carried over from the C5?

Celebrity's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2004
    People's Choice Award Winner - CruiseFest 2010
    Blake Yager's MVC Award Winner - CruiseFest 2011

_

v| 1980
    ZZ4 Engine - Hooker Super Comp headers (ceramic coated) - 700R4 - Steeroids - VB&P Brake Kit - Torqlite 17" Wheels
    2003 Victory Vegas (1507cc / 92ci) - Stage 1 Performance Package - Arlen Ness Slashness Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by MaineShark View Post
    I could build a nuke in my basement. They are actually very simple devices. And we have uranium in NH. I could mine it and refine it and build one. The science is simple. The engineering not overly complex.

Corvette(s)
    FORMER 1967 427-435, 1966 427-425, 1963 327-340 ++

Default This is Good and Reassuring News!!!

This is quite different from the early Corvette days of the late fifties and early sixties. Recently, I inspected the new Camaro - so far so good too!

Now if Chevrolet would just finally bring out the "Retro" Nomad that was shown several years ago (and include as optional many of the performance and handling features of the Corvette) Chevrolet and parent GM would surely re-establish itself as a true world leader in the very competitive automobile business.

Best wishes,

Don Cordier

Corvette(s)
    Stingray

The Vette is as safe as the rest of GM. That's what worries me.

Mez
    Corvette(s)
    2005 LeMans Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DonCordier View Post
    This is quite different from the early Corvette days of the late fifties and early sixties. Recently, I inspected the new Camaro - so far so good too!

Now if Chevrolet would just finally bring out the "Retro" Nomad that was shown several years ago (and include as optional many of the performance and handling features of the Corvette) Chevrolet and parent GM would surely re-establish itself as a true world leader in the very competitive automobile business.

Best wishes,

Don Cordier
    GM needs to focus it's engineering and manufacturing resources to development of vehicles for the future.

No car company can sell enough niche "retro" styled vehicles to be profitable because its simply too small a market.

Corvette(s)
    1964 red convertible, formerly 1957 and 1966 silve

I saw a new Camaro that was in the local dealer's driveway for less than a day. Reminded me of the VW/Porsche 914, better-looking in person than in photographs, but still not very pretty.

Corvette(s)
    '91 Black Convertible

Default did I miss it?

I didn't hear him say that the C7 was not on hold. All I heard him say was that they are continuing to improve upon the present C6 and make it better.

Did I miss something, or are others reading something else into it?

He did say that at one time they had plans for a C7 that would have been a big leap forward, but that now they are just continuing to make the C6 better a little at a time.

Where does he say that the C7 project is still alive and moving forward?

Jim S.

I agree that the future of the Corvette is only as healthy as the future of GM, and that is not necessarily a strong future!

Corvette(s)
    1976 resto mod

I am not buying it. Did they the know (or admit) that they would shut down production for most of the summer?? Unless they make the vette a "Super Green Machine" rather than a "Super Car" IMHO this adminsistration will be more than happy to see that it is cut. It might be better to go out on top rather than becoming an enviro-weenie mobile !!! Sorry to be negitve but that is reality!!

Corvette(s)
    ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by DonCordier View Post

How's the Dodge Magnum doing these days? GM seems to take a "wait and see" approach with copying Dodge.
    PT Cruiser -> HHR
    Charger -> Camaro
    Magnum -> Nomad

The only reverse to that was the Pontiac Vibe -> Dodge Caliber

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mez View Post
    GM needs to focus it's engineering and manufacturing resources to development of vehicles for the future.

No car company can't possibly sell enough niche "retro" styled vehicles to be profitable because its simply too small a market.
    Howdy,

Thanks for your comment, however, I believe you meant to say that "No car company can possibly sell enough...".

You are correct but it certainly helps and will generate excitement and thus interest in the other profitable and wide variety of offerings by the company. Also, having a "special interest vehicle" that seats four or more helps many individuals to justify the purchase of a new vehcile in which to transport the family, friends and/or in which to commute to and from work or business.

Regards,

Don Cordier
    Don Cordier Aviation
    Van Nuys Airport & McClellan-Palomar Airport
    Van Nuys & Carlsbad, California
    TEL: 818-400-2848 or 760-496-0764

Corvette(s)

Default Hmmm...???

Quote Originally Posted by sub006 View Post
    I saw a new Camaro that was in the local dealer's driveway for less than a day. Reminded me of the VW/Porsche 914, better-looking in person than in photographs, but still not very pretty.
    Thank you for your comment.

Hmmm...??? I have owned three Porsche 914's and the new Camaro does not even come close to resembling these cars! Perhaps you meant only in comparing actually seeing the vehicle versus seeing the images?

In my opinion the new Camaro looks VERY GOOD in images and GREAT in person. In addition, it is a much larger vehicle in line with all previous Camaros. Of course, the Corvette is the best looking regardless of other competitors!!!

Regards,

Don Cordier
    Don Cordier Aviation
    Van Nuys Airport & McClellan-Palomar Airport
    Van Nuys & Carlsbad, California
    TEL: 818-400-2848 or 760-496-0764

Corvette(s)
    50th AE Vert

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    The Vette is as safe as the rest of GM. That's what worries me.

Agreed!!

I don't believe for a minute that he would share the plans of closing down the Corvette, even if he did know himself.

He needs to say what he thinks will be good for GM and coming out in an interview that the Corvette future is not certain is not in the best interest of GM.

Corvette(s)
    04 Medium Spiral Gray Coupe

That's some pretty good news if it's true!

Corvette(s)
    2005 C6 Silver Coupe

I hope 'Fritz' is right, but I imagine that GM will build what Osama.........err Obama's group dictates. They do not strike me as sports car type guys but rather Green, Electric and Money folks!
    A Glass Slipper.................

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast