Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information!
Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

View Poll Results: Which type of transmission do you prefer and why?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Automatic

8 19.05%
  • Manual

27 64.29%
  • Doesn't Matter

7 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe

In the 1990s, we put a X-Y controller on 10 speed manual transmissions for interstate rigs.

http://trucktransmissiondepot.com/wp...ansmission.gif

In the cab, it kinda resembled a car shifter for an automatic in the manual mode, push it forward to up shift; back is downshift. No clutch except when stopped. With today's electronics, a button could replace the pedal when stopped.

All it would take is desire and some $$ money GM's design group.
    Whoosh, and blur

sunnyco20

The Tour mode is pretty,and i'm so glad to be a part of the team etuicoquesamsung.com etui samsung galaxy j1
    Last edited by sunnyco20; 11-15-15 at 09:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    1996 LT4 CE

I know this thread isn't exactly new, but what the heck, I'll throw in my $0.02. I prefer a manual, because it's more fun to drive, imo. I'm 55, so perhaps with some more life experience and/or joint related issues, my opinion of fun may change.

I do agree that the manual is on its way out, long term. The technology supports automatics, and fewer and fewer can drive manual, so at some point, even the bowtie may decide that a manual is not an option for the beloved Corvette...

Two advantages to the manual: first, it's a great theft prevention device. How many modern day car thieves can drive a manual? Sure, some can, but not all. And second, it keeps me from having to let friends and family take her for a drive. if the first question out of my mouth after they ask if they can drive her is, "can you drive a stick?", I've found "no" to be the answer a pretty good percentage of the time.

Why the stick shift's days may be numbered Tuna's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)

One of the reasons my first Vette was a stick shift is because my ex-wife (wife at the time) hated them. I knew my Vette would be mine to drive and she would leave it alone. Prior to that first Vette, I had a Grand National Buick - auto only - and she loved to drive that car. After 25 years of driving sticks again, I'm hooked. They are just more fun to drive - for me.

Beside the 427 Vert (stick only), I have a Cadillac CTS V Wagon with the optional stick shift. That's my style.

Stick shift cars require both hands and the cell phone connected and texting driver cannot handle both, which is another reason for the stick to be fading away.

Tuna
    Author of
    Crossbow Revenge & Alice Was Not Her Name
    Murder Mysteries

Likes kpic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    1990 Twin Turbo

It's such a hard thing to find a manual shifter in America. It's all automatic. Europe is a different story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    2008 Atomic Orange ZO6

The whole car industry in the age of millennials is turning into cookie cutter little pip squeak cars, with people driving them that are as mechanically inclined as a house plant! hahaha

To me it is very sad. As we are a couple of weeks away from Barrett Jackson Scottsdale, I fear that the Boomer generation will be the last to actually see cars as something to be proud of and actually love to own. Kids now are point A to point B and could care less how they get there!

To me this is very sad!

A sports car like a Vette/Camaro is meant to be driven. Part of that is shifting gears. A standard is a must! But a luxury Cadillac/Buick is for a smooth comfortable ride, Automatics are more suited for them!
    2008 Corvette Atomic Orange ZO6
    2017 High Country 6.2
    2014 Sierra SLE Short Box
    2011 HD 103 Street Glide
    Likes LLC5, vett boy, kpic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    2001 Black Lingenfelter C5 LS2

no stick here - I'm 'very' connected to my Rosler tranny and 3200 Vigilante torque conv lol

2001 Lingenfelter C5 LS2
    2001 Lingenfelter C5 LS2
    1971 Chevelle Malibu 350

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    I am pretty sure that 3 pedal vehicles will probably go away, mostly because of CAFE since a computer cannot shift a 3 pedal manual transmission during a validation test cycle. But beware, torque converter automatics and ESPECIALLY computer shifted manual transmissions are not cheap to service or repair. Out of warranty a 3 pedal manual shifted transmission will begin to look like a bargain........
    "LLC5" gets the New Year's Day "Beacon of Reality" Award

P.S.: Just wait until GM V8 performance cars and light trucks are all using the new 10-spd auto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe

At last count, just 3.9 percent of cars sold in U.S. were built with manual transmissions, but in the rest of the world, manual transmissions are still overwhelmingly the top choice. In Europe and Japan, for example, more than 80 percent of cars sold have manual transmissions.
    Manual vs. Automatic Transmissions: Who's Winning? - Quoted

Statistics are interesting..
    Whoosh, and blur

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    93 Ruby Aniv roadster/6spd

This time around I wanted another Roadster & a Stick .I voted either or tho since I had both .
    Currently 93 Ruby 40th Anniversary Roadster/6 SPD

Previous 58,68,70,76,78,85,90

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12