Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1969 R.Gold CV. Original 8K miles. Pilot 1970 LT1

Default LT4 1996 Grand Sport Convertible

I have a 1996 LT4 Grand Sport Convertible. Torch Red w/black interior. Other option include: dual power sport seats, Bose gold stereo w/CD and cassette, electronic A/C system. The original window sticker was about $50K.

My question, is there any data showing how many convertibles, that are NOT blue with the red hatch marks, were built with the Grand Sport package. The car has approximately 73K miles. The car is very clean. The car will be for sale soon.

Thanks for any help.

Corvette(s)
    96 Collectors Edition LT4

The "Grand Sport" built in 1996 was a tribute to the 5 original Grand Sport Corvettes built in 1963. The 1996 "Grand Sport" refers to the Admiral Blue w/white stripe down the middle Vette which came in coupe and convertible style. 1000 total Vettes made with that option. The option included the LT4 engine and 6 spd ZF manual transmission.

You could order any Vette in 1996 with the LT4 engine option. The LT4 Throttle Body says "Grand Sport", but that is the only place you will find those words.

Commonly, when one refers to a 1996 Grand Sport, one is referring to the 1000 Blue & White coupes and convertibles. These special Vettes were available with only a Black or Red interior.

In regards to your question about the number of Vettes built in 1996 with an LT4 engine/manual transmission option, I believe the answer is 6,359.

If you go to the CAC Model Center located under the Tech Center, you will be able to find all sorts of information and numbers.

SAVE THE
    An attendee at all the CruiseFests including the one which never happened.

Autosig (Shadow) A

Corvette(s)
    2011 Cyber Gray Callaway Conv & 2005 DSOM Conv

Lt4man is very correct. The 1996 Grand Sport is only one of the 1,000 that were built (190 convertibles and 810 coupes) in Admiral Blue, white stripe down the front and back with two red hashmarks on the left front fender. They also came with the black 5-spoke wheels and had their own unique VIN sequence.

Be very careful not to call yours a Grand Sport when it goes up for sale. Unfortunately, GM put "GRAND SPORT" on all 1996 6-speed throttle bodies so many people mistakenly think they have one of the Grand Sports.

More information can be found at www.grandsportregistry.com.

Elaine
    Former Owner of Grand Sport #582
    HIS - 2011 Cyber Gray Grand Sport Callaway Convertible -"SOQUIK"
    HERS - 2005 Daytona Sunset Orange 6-spd Convertible - "SOQWIK"

South Shore Corvette Club - Weymouth, MA
    National Corvette Museum Member

Sales
    Corvette Mike New England
    Toll-free: 877-427-8388
    Cell: 617-872-8252

"Corvette Mike New England"

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by lt4man View Post
    You could order any Vette in 1996 with the LT4 engine option. The LT4 Throttle Body says "Grand Sport", but that is the only place you will find those words.

"CORRECTION" GM also put "Grand Sport" on the front Cover of All 96 Corvette Owners Manuals!!
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    "CORRECTION" GM also put "Grand Sport" on the front Cover of All 96 Corvette Owners Manuals!!
    True...but none of that makes a '96 LT4 a "Grand Sport"!

Elaine

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by GS Diva View Post
    True...but none of that makes a '96 LT4 a "Grand Sport"!

Elaine
    Exactly!!!!Everybody that tries to trade any 96 in here,wants me to give them Grand Sport trade in Value for there car if the Books are in it!!!!!!
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)

Exactly!!!!Everybody that tries to trade any 96 in here,wants me to give them Grand Sport trade in Value for there car if the Books are in it!!!!!!
    Exactly! A true GM blunder.

Elaine

Corvette(s)

Are we surprised???

SAVE THE

Autosig (Shadow) A

Corvette(s)

You CAN say you have the "Grand Sport" engine. The LT4 engine, whether it is in a "Grand Sport", Collector Edition or regular Vette, is identical.

The "Grand Sport" plate on the top of the Throttle Body can be easily changed out to one of many plates available in the aftermarket. When looking for an LT4 engine specifically, beware of an LT1 dressed with the "Grand Sport" plate!

SAVE THE

Autosig (Shadow) A

Corvette(s)

Thanks everyone for the replies and info. I guess my question was not clear. I was wondering how many Convertibles were built with the LT4 engine option, but were not the Grand Sport blue? I'm just curious. The window sticker shows in the option list that the car came equipped the the LT4 330 HP option and some other add-ons.

Thanks

1969 Riverside Gold Convertible unrestored with 8K miles - Bloomington Gold, Survivor, BenchMark, 5 Star Bowtie, Duntov Award, Performance Verification Award (passed on the 1st test), 2 Top Flights, Field of Dreams Display car, The 50th Anniversary Heritage Display for the 1969.

1970 LT1 Car # 00006, Pilot Car. Ontario Orange, driven by Karl Ludvigsen - wrote the book "Corvette America's Star Spangled Sports Car" The first LT1 off the assembly line in October of 1969. Mr. Ludvigsen did a story on this car for Corvette News in February 1970.

Corvette(s)

GM put the "Grand Sport" and "Collector Edition" logo on the front of all the owners manuals. Remember, this was the LAST C4 built. In honor of that distinction, GM designed TWO special editions of the C4.

Anyone who figures they have a Grand Sport OR Collector Edition because of the cover of their owners manual needs to go back to grammar school!

SAVE THE

Autosig (Shadow) A

Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 8kgold69 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies and info. I guess my question was not clear. I was wondering how many Convertibles were built with the LT4 engine option, but were not the Grand Sport blue? I'm just curious. The window sticker shows in the option list that the car came equipped the the LT4 330 HP option and some other add-ons.Thanks
    I believe the total population of LT4 engines was 6,359. I got this number from the production figures listed under the Model Center here at CAC. I do not think anyone knows for sure how many convertibles or coupes built with the LT4. They list how many Collector Editions were built, but they do not specify how many were LT1/auto and how many were LT4/manual. You would need to do some extrapolation to come to a reasonable guess, at best.

SAVE THE

Autosig (Shadow) A

trebor

Quote Originally Posted by lt4man View Post
    I believe the total population of LT4 engines was 6,359. I got this number from the production figures listed under the Model Center here at CAC. I do not think anyone knows for sure how many convertibles or coupes built with the LT4. They list how many Collector Editions were built, but they do not specify how many were LT1/auto and how many were LT4/manual. You would need to do some extrapolation to come to a reasonable quess, at best.

SAVE THE

I know 5412 CEs were built. But of those how many were:

Coupes with the LT4 and the Z51 RPO? Like mine

Trebor

Corvette(s)
    96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior

If you want 1996 numbers... this is the site you have been looking for. It goes in to great detail.

I recommend selecting “1996 Options” and “RPO Codes” in the left-hand column.

http://www.wright.edu/~mathews.5/

B17Crew

Corvette(s)

Thank you very much B17Crew!

That is an awesome web site. Very cool info. Appreciate the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast