Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: Alternator

Corvette(s)
    1981Dark Blue Metallic & 2004 conv. magnetic red

Default Alternator

My alternator was bouncing all over, from 8 volts to 16 volts and decided to replace it. Put in a rebuilt one and now it is holding steady at about 12+ volts. Is this about right? I recall that before the first one went bad it was at 13 volts, is it possible to get bad one. I purchased a heavy duty one which is 70 amps and that is what is called for.

I appreciate your input.
    Chuck

Dave L.

Chuck - My guage reads 13-14. I also have the 70A alt option on my car.

Dave

Corvette(s)
    Unrestored one owner 1962 Black FI car

Voltage should read from 13.6 to 14.4 when running! Amps is merely the output of the unit to run accessories. Not all Vettes have high amp alternators.

Nut
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Convertible

Chuck.... mine runs around 14+. I put a 85amp alt in it last year after 21 years with the OEM 63 amp unit.

............ Nut
    Tanned, rested and
    Retired in the Peoples Republic of MD

Corvette(s)
    1981Dark Blue Metallic & 2004 conv. magnetic red

Thanks for the replies, mine is about 13 amps and decays to about 12.5 while driving. No starting problems or any other noticable things but I think that I got another 63 amp alternator not the 70 amp I asked for.

Chuck

vettenick

A quick check if the alternator is up to the task is to monitor the voltage after you've turned all of your items on; headlights, a/c, rear defogger, etc. If the voltage drops below 12.8 volts, you have a problem. If the voltage stays up where it should, then it's able to produce all the amps your car needs.

Corvette(s)
    1981 Pearl White

quick side questions...where does the guage connect into the system. Mine had a bad connection someplace, as it often sits dead left but the car runs fine.

vettenick

The voltmeter is mounted on a printed circuit board behind the cluster lens. From there, it gets its power from the gauge fuse and it's connected through a pink/black wire. The other connection(its ground) is through a black wire that's grounded to the instrument panel ground. The ground location is on the driver's door hinge post right above the courtesy light switch.

Corvette(s)
    1981 Pearl White

thanks