Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: ECM location

prussell

Default ECM location

Can anyone tell me where the ECM is located on an 81 vette and is it difficult to replace? I have been told that it could be either in the front(under the hood) or under the dash. Thanks!

Corvette(s)
    1981 Midnight Blue Coupe

Default ECM Location

It's located behind the drivers seat in the battery box, mounted to the front wall of the battery box. It's not to hard to replace.

Corvette(s)
    1981 Pearl White

i thought it was located under the arm rest behind teh emergency brake

prussell

I looked last night. I believe that it is in fact located in the battery box. Thanks for the info!! Now, I need to find out how difficult it is to replace - is it a matter of just taking the old one out and installing the new one???

Corvette(s)
    81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk

Replacing the ECM is very easy....two connectors and four small bolts.

BUT

Replacement ECMs do not come with the PROM or memory chip in them. Use either have to reuse your old one (hope its still good), or get a replacement one. GM does not have them, only place I found was HyperChip which I got through Summit Racing. Took eight weeks to get it to!!

Later,
    Lanny