Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1981 Maroon Metallic 4-speed

Default Heater core life expectancy

Just a quick question, I have the interior completely gutted as part of the resto process, and I was wondering how long our heater core's generally last. I'd imagine now would be the easiest time to replace it (its probably safe to assume its the original). What do you think?
    ? Jrod

Corvette(s)

Do it now. Murphys Law and all.

Corvette(s)
    '81 Black

Test it under some extra pressure, then you'll know.

Groeten Peter

Corvette(s)
    1981 dark blue metallic

if you have this far apart,I would replace it NOW!!!!!
    if you don't you will probably regret it!!!!!
    Bill and Gail...save the wave
    NCRS member 42415
    1981 St.Louis car #2735
    all matching numbers

born Sept 18,1980
    Cruisefest 2008
    Cruisefestous 2009
    Cruisefest 2010
    Cruisefest 2011
    Cruisefest2012

Without Trucks......
    You would be Hungry,Homeless and Naked!!!!!!

Corvette(s)
    81 white, 355 ci, rhs heads,voodoo cam=fun

Jrod, I did a interior overhaul last winter. Like you I also gutted the inside. I couldnt keep thinking about all that new carpet and stuff and the heater core letting go a month after I was finished. That would not be cool. So out with the heater core. It looked real good and origanal, not a sign of leakage. Still the facts remain. Off to the autozone for a new core. Got it home, looked it over and noticed made in mexico. I put it up on a test and sure enough the solder joints at the outlet tube leaked like hell. Took it back to autozone for a new one but they had no more in stock. They told me they could order one and I would have to pay another 15 bucks for freight. I then got a refund and went to napa. The Napa core came out of Caif. was US made and I think $52 compaired to $35 at autozone. Sure could tell the difference in quality. All that was a 2 week delay on my interior overhaul but it sure was worth piece of mind to change it out.

Corvette(s)

Yeah, I had a feeling that would be what I should do. I shouldn't try to cut any corners. Thanks for the great advice and I will definetly go to NAPA for the heater core. By the way, does it come out into the interior or into the engine bay side of the firewall? The haynes manual doesn't have any pics on this for our year, and it looks like there's alot of stuff in the way of removing the heater box on the engine side of the firewall.

Corvette(s)
    81 white, 355 ci, rhs heads,voodoo cam=fun

All the components for the heater core are removed from the inside of the car. There are two screws that hold the heater box togeather located in the engine compartment. Kinda throws a guy for a loop. If you dont have a assembly manual do a search here Im sure it will come up

Corvette(s)

Thanks Spikebot, it probably would've taken me a while to figure that one out. I'll take some pics of the process in case anyone could use them.

Corvette(s)
    1988 white 4+3 coupe 99 Torch Red 6spd. coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    Thanks Spikebot, it probably would've taken me a while to figure that one out. I'll take some pics of the process in case anyone could use them.
    Yeah, The auto manufactures took a heater core and built the car around it. Watch you don't pinch any vacumn lines on reassembly. I did a 79 coupe way back when and pinched a line to the heater control. Lucky we found it early, I'm not sure if yours is the same as a 79, have fun.