Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Richard Cooper

Default Removing Headlight Assembly

has anyone removed a complete headlight assembly from an 81? I would like to remove the whole unit and work on it while on my work bench. Is this a big deal. I already have the motor and radiator out of the car. TIA

Corvette(s)
    1981 Red Coupe

I just broke the frame that holds the light assembly in place and I am removing mine now. So far so good, just make sure you put tape around the edge of the healight door and also around the opening or you will be doing some touch up. I figured I would replace all the springs and bushings and also clean everything up. I don't have everything out yet but I'll let you know when I do. Why are you having to take yours apart?

Corvette(s)
    1968 convertible; 1980 L-82

My advice is to take it out from the bottom and reinstall from the same direction. They were installed from the bottom at the factory. You'll have to remove the bumper cover for access.

Corvette(s)
    '81 Black

Removing the bumper cover and reinstalling it the right way takes alot more time and more changes to mess up then taking the headlight assembly thing out the easy way and that is to the back where the radiator and motor was sitting

The only thing is that the front of the assembly is bolted from below, so it's hard to take out from the inside. There is very little space, maybe it's a little easier if you loosen the center "body mount" in the nose.

Groeten Peter

Corvette(s)
    1981 Red Coupe

I got the old assembly including the frame that holds the actuator out without removing anything else. You are right about not being much space but it can be done. Just take your time.