Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!


Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Just Say "No" To E15

  1. #1
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / San Antonio
    Posts
    586
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'

    Default Just Say "No" To E15

    Wasn't quite sure where on the forum to post this for maximum visibility; Moderators can feel free to move it accordingly.

    Haven't seen much media coverage about this:

    Warnings Not to Use 'E15' Gas In Your Car | Fox Business

    Although GM is not listed among them, the long and short of it is that several car manufacturers say that using E15 (not widely available -- yet) in your car will cause engine and fuel system damage not covered under your warranty -- and may actually void your warranty...

    Just submitted FYI...

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  2. #2
    Member dcsteg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Posts
    56
    Corvette(s)
    2011 Z06

    Default

    I always use ethanol free gas in my Z06.

    Using E 10 in my other cars, when I have no choice, always cuts my mileage about 2 miles per gallon.

    This stuff is just awful. Reduced mileage and power. Another EPA junk mandate.

    Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

  3. #3
    - Online
    Member Vettehead Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Not that far from Ottawa
    Posts
    2,964
    Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe

    Default

    Anybody actually ever seen a station selling E15?

    No, me neither.

  4. #4
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / San Antonio
    Posts
    586
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vettehead Mikey View Post
    Anybody actually ever seen a station selling E15?

    No, me neither.
    Not yet. The Fox video report flashed a graphic saying that there are only a handful of stations in the Midwest (KS, NE, etc.) selling it right now.

    But, it's coming -- if the EPA gets its way...

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  5. #5
    - Online
    Member Vettehead Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Not that far from Ottawa
    Posts
    2,964
    Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    Not yet. The Fox video report flashed a graphic saying that there are only a handful of stations in the Midwest (KS, NE, etc.) selling it right now.

    But, it's coming -- if the EPA gets its way...
    The end of the world is coming too, but I'll deal with it when it gets here. Most gas stations also sell diesel. I don't put that in my car. Why would I use E15 even if it was available?

    Did it occur to anyone that the talking head from AOL (hey, there's a credible source) had no idea what she was babbling about? She contradicts herself by saying that not much research was done then talks about how much HAS been done. Also gets the concept of phase separation bass ackwards. Yes E15 is dumb idea but not a dumb as this 'news' report.

  6. #6
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / San Antonio
    Posts
    586
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vettehead Mikey View Post
    The end of the world is coming too, but I'll deal with it when it gets here. Most gas stations also sell diesel. I don't put that in my car. Why would I use E15 even if it was available?

    Did it occur to anyone that the talking head from AOL (hey, there's a credible source) had no idea what she was babbling about? She contradicts herself by saying that not much research was done then talks about how much HAS been done. Also gets the concept of phase separation bass ackwards. Yes E15 is dumb idea but not a dumb as this 'news' report.
    Whatever, dude. Put water in your tank for all I care; it's your car... There are folks out there who don't stay as well-informed as you and I; maybe they'd benefit from the knowledge...? And E15 may become all that's available if the EPA has its way -- so none of us will have a choice about what to put in the tank...

    The point is AAA is telling people not to use E15; several manufacturers won't cover warranty claims they may trace to the use of E15. And we all seem to be in agreement that ethanol is detrimental to engine and fuel system components (seals, etc.). So why are you picking nits with the messenger(s)...?
    Last edited by timfitz63; 01-23-13 at 12:49 PM.

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  7. #7
    - Online
    Member Vettehead Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Not that far from Ottawa
    Posts
    2,964
    Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    So why are you picking nits with the messenger(s)...?
    No need to take offence. Just pointing out that typical of Fox and AOL, they're got their facts confused and make a laughing stock out of themselves by trying to make a big fuss. Must have been a slow news day. Too bad Emily Litella is no longer with us, her classic 'never mind' would fit right in here. There's a lot of talking in that piece, but very little credible 'knowledge' for the average consumer.

    The chances of E15 ever making it to market in a widespread manner are just about nil, never mind it replacing E10.

  8. #8
    Member timfitz63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh / San Antonio
    Posts
    586
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vettehead Mikey View Post
    No need to take offence. Just pointing out that typical of Fox and AOL, they're got their facts confused and make a laughing stock out of themselves by trying to make a big fuss. Must have been a slow news day. Too bad Emily Litella is no longer with us, her classic 'never mind' would fit right in here. There's a lot of talking in that piece, but very little credible 'knowledge' for the average consumer...
    Fair enough. In reviewing their discussion a second time, you're correct: they didn't quite get all the science accurately relayed about phase separation. Still, the final result is the same: your engine could be harmed if phase separation occurs... But the real danger with an increase in ethanol content is to rubber seals, fuel system components, and such.

    I myself didn't interpret the report as making a 'fuss' -- at least no more than any other news outlet does with stories like these. And just because Fox and/or AOL were involved in reporting the story doesn't mean it's any less legitimate a story. But that discussion is a bit beyond the scope of this thread... I will agree that they somehow manged to cram about 15 seconds of consumer-alert information (AAA warns don't use E15; some manufacturers won't honor warranty claims if you do) into a 5-minute news video...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vettehead Mikey View Post
    ... The chances of E15 ever making it to market in a widespread manner are just about nil, never mind it replacing E10.
    Well, I certainly hope you're correct about that. Personally, I'd like to see E10 go away as well...

    1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

  9. #9
    killain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Southeast, PA
    Posts
    1,101
    Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !

    Thumbs down Alcohol & Ethanol ?

    Well I've heard a ton of negative feedback from a whole lot of Repair technicians and gear-heads alike, They can't all be wrong. Alcohol will dry out most anything washed with it. Alcohol is the same thing only called Ethanol, and I'm only too well versed in the damage that ethanol can do to a metal/rubber/cork type of sealing systems. It eats away at them over time. I have a friend from South America and he has told me that the majority of autos down there are Japanese, and are imported with Stainless steel fuel system for the fact that almost all of SA uses E-85. But for me, I only know that the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with a 3.8 liter supercharged engine that I own states on page 338 of the owners manual that "This car must have a minimum octane rating of at Least 91 octane and use no fuel with an ethanol content of 10% or greater." And why can''t we stick to 10% ethanol ? Your MPG drops significantly with the use of ethanol.

    Now I know the alcohol and water doesn't mix, and I'm no chemical engineer, but I think I understand the phase separation is simple enough, Alcohol/ethanol weighs more than oil so the ethanol is going to live on the bottom of you fuel tank along with your fuel pump pickup. But I have to admit I never thought about the refineries cutting the octane rating of 'the' gasoline being blended as the ethanol has a very high octane rating on it's own and since your going to use up the ethanol first, your engines 'Knock sensor' is going to be getting a real workout once your fuel guage is below 3/4 tank.

    But their are some zealot's for the greater use of ethanol, (I can only assume they own stock in corn futures or some deal like that. We all want clean air, but do we have to shave time off our engines life cycle to get it ? Since GM is going all "Direct Injection" now, I can't help but to think that the ethanol/alcohol mix isn't all that great an idea. Guess since my GMPP warranty runs out in August 2013 I assume I'll find out soon afterward. But as of now, E-15 isn't sold in the Delaware Valley just yet. I have seen at the Home-Depot and Auto-zone a product made by Lucas oil and other companies with the name of "Ethanol remedy" and on it's label it states it "Offsets" the damaging effects of ethanol on Gasoline engines, lawn and garden and automotive use as well. Only furthering my suspicion that the things that take place with-in the DC beltway are as toxic & corrupt as always. And in the end, we the consumer gets it. What a way to run a country.
    Last edited by killain; 02-07-13 at 06:11 AM.

  10. #10
    Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,578
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vettehead Mikey View Post
    No need to take offence. Just pointing out that typical of Fox and AOL, they're got their facts confused and make a laughing stock out of themselves by trying to make a big fuss. Must have been a slow news day. Too bad Emily Litella is no longer with us, her classic 'never mind' would fit right in here. There's a lot of talking in that piece, but very little credible 'knowledge' for the average consumer.

    The chances of E15 ever making it to market in a widespread manner are just about nil, never mind it replacing E10.
    While I agree that the chances of E10 being replaced by E15 are remote, I disagree with "Vettehead Mikey" on the statement that the chances of it making it to market are "...just about nil". There's a lot of momentum for sale of E15 fired by what's known variously as the "corn lobby" or the "ethanol lobby". There's also a lot of support for it amongst various environmentalist activist organizations and in government, such as EPA. With Pres. Obama on record that "global warming" will be a key issue in his second term is also driving E15 to a certain extent.

    I was wondering, "Vettehead Mikey" if you could post the facts you have which refute the reports by Fox News and AOL on the E15 issue.

  11. #11
    Member gmjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Old Fort NC/Vero Beach FL
    Posts
    5,340
    Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vettehead Mikey View Post
    Anybody actually ever seen a station selling E15?

    No, me neither.
    Yep,Quite a few of them in Missouri actually!

    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous


  12. #12
    - Online
    Member Vettehead Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Not that far from Ottawa
    Posts
    2,964
    Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post

    I was wondering, "Vettehead Mikey" if you could post the facts you have which refute the reports by Fox News and AOL on the E15 issue.
    Which specifics? The one where the 'reporter' contradicts herself by saying that not much research has been done then immediately claims that she has done a lot of testing herself (?)

    She states that it causes damage to smog system, engines etc. Pretty vague claims. How come she has evidence that the OEMs don't?

    She says that it only affects 2012 and earlier cars. What did the OEMs do for the 2013 cars that make E15 suddenly OK?

    She incorrectly states that the ethanol is delivered separately to the filling stations and is held in it's own tank and only mixed at the pump.

    She states that the gasoline and ethanol separate in the gas tank (for unstated reasons) into stratified layers- and this constitutes 'phase separation'. No mention is made of the third component required for actual phase separation to actually occur. No water, no separation.

    She then states that she knows of brand new vehicles with rotted out fuel lines, but not directly, only through unnamed third parties. Really?

    A claim is made, on the presumption that the alcohol and gasoline separate fully and do not remix by the normal motion of the vehicle while driving, (?) that the gasoline at the top of the tank is 84 octane and that this will damage the engine through detonation. Ummm, knock sensors? Pretty much standard on engines since the late 90s I think.

    I don't think she did her numbers properly that the removal of 15% ethanol by vol at 99AKi from 87 AKI gas will leave 84 AKI gas.

    Aside from that, not a bad report.

  13. #13
    - Online
    Member Vettehead Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Not that far from Ottawa
    Posts
    2,964
    Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    Yep,Quite a few of them in Missouri actually!

    E15 or E85?

  14. #14
    Member dcsteg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Posts
    56
    Corvette(s)
    2011 Z06

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killain View Post
    Well I've heard a ton of negative feedback from a whole lot of Repair technicians and gear-heads alike, They can't all be wrong. Alcohol will dry out most anything washed with it. Alcohol is the same thing only called Ethanol, and I'm only too well versed in the damage that ethanol can do to a metal/rubber/cork type of sealing systems. It eats away at them over time. I have a friend from South America and he has told me that the majority of autos down there are Japanese, and are imported with Stainless steel fuel system for the fact that almost all of SA uses E-85. But for me, I only know that the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with a 3.8 liter supercharged engine that I own states on page 338 of the owners manual that "This car must have a minimum octane rating of at Least 91 octane and use no fuel with an ethanol content of 10% or greater." And why can''t we stick to 10% ethanol ? Your MPG drops significantly with the use of ethanol.

    Now I know the alcohol and water doesn't mix, and I'm no chemical engineer, but I think I understand the phase separation is simple enough, Alcohol/ethanol weighs more than oil so the ethanol is going to live on the bottom of you fuel tank along with your fuel pump pickup. But I have to admit I never thought about the refineries cutting the octane rating of 'the' gasoline being blended as the ethanol has a very high octane rating on it's own and since your going to use up the ethanol first, your engines 'Knock sensor' is going to be getting a real workout once your fuel guage is below 3/4 tank.

    But their are some zealot's for the greater use of ethanol, (I can only assume they own stock in corn futures or some deal like that. We all want clean air, but do we have to shave time off our engines life cycle to get it ? Since GM is going all "Direct Injection" now, I can't help but to think that the ethanol/alcohol mix isn't all that great an idea. Guess since my GMPP warranty runs out in August 2013 I assume I'll find out soon afterward. But as of now, E-15 isn't sold in the Delaware Valley just yet. I have seen at the Home-Depot and Auto-zone a product made by Lucas oil and other companies with the name of "Ethanol remedy" and on it's label it states it "Offsets" the damaging effects of ethanol on Gasoline engines, lawn and garden and automotive use as well. Only furthering my suspicion that the things that take place with-in the DC beltway are as toxic & corrupt as always. And in the end, we the consumer gets it. What a way to run a country.
    Good post.

  15. #15
    Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,578
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vettehead Mikey View Post
    Which specifics? The one where the 'reporter' contradicts herself by saying that not much research has been done then immediately claims that she has done a lot of testing herself (?)

    She states that it causes damage to smog system, engines etc. Pretty vague claims. How come she has evidence that the OEMs don't?
    (snip)
    Aside from that, not a bad report.
    I didn't not see the report you say but you're right, FNC and AOL have joined much of the rest of the mainstream media with shitty reporting on the E15 issue.

    I'll add that it's possible one reason she didn't offer any evidence the OEs may have is that OEs don't care about older vehicles and they want to be considered "good citizens" by the EPA so they don't offer any discouraging words because the only vehicles they care about–those under warranty–are likely somewhat compatible with E15.

    That said, I am glad Fox and AOL are at least covering the issue. The only way E15 is going to be "stopped" is if people are informed.
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 02-07-13 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nissan tailgate """lite?"""
    By Vanity Plate Bob in forum General Automotive Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-06, 11:16 AM
  2. How Many Gastkets....Ghezz...!! "John Z" Or "Bill B" What Did The Factory Do Here??
    By Viet Nam Vett in forum C1 & C2 General and Technical Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-09-05, 04:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© CORVETTE is a registered trademark of the General Motors Corporation & Chevrolet Motor Division.  Neither Chevrolet Motor Division nor any subsidiaries of GM© shall bear any responsibility for CorvetteActionCenter.com content, comments, or advertising. CorvetteActionCenter.com is independent from GM© and is not affiliated with, sponsored or supported by GM©.  Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.  All Rights Reserved