Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thread: Lifter noise...
- 09-19-07, 03:04 AM #1
1999 Alero GLS 3.4, a little over 107,000 miles. I noticed tonight while waiting at Mcdonalds next to the building I could hear a ticking. I put it in neutral took it to about 1500 RPMs and it got louder. When I got home I checked the oil, and to my suprise it was full to the mark and exceptionally CLEAN. This oil change has approximently 2k on it. I am not sure what to do. I have heard of people saying to run additives to try and clear it up, and people saying not to. Thanks.
- 09-20-07, 01:35 AM #2
Anybody? I use Castrol 10w30 high mileage, and AcDelco filter. And I don't know if its lifters or not but something is ticking away.
- 11-06-07, 12:23 PM #3
Hi Vettefan 87, what happened did you ever find the problem, noisy lifter, regards .
- 11-09-07, 03:00 AM #4I am not really sure what it is. It doesn't use hardly any oil, and the oil is very clean in between oil changes. It doesn't have an oil pressure gauge so I don't know what it is at.
- 11-09-07, 08:33 AM #5
- Join Date
- Nov 2004
- Old Fort NC/Vero Beach FL
- 03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous
- 11-11-07, 10:04 PM #6
- 11-12-07, 01:18 AM #7
Hi vettefan 87 the reason i asked was i had a funny experiance a few years ago so i tell you about it, like Gm junkie said could be oil pressure problems, any way approx 1999 i purchased a used honda crv 1996 model with 80000km on the clock car was great when i got to approx 98000km, it started ticking like a noisy lifter, so i called a honda dealer, he asked if i was useing honda feo oil i said no, i had mostly used Pennzoil, or castrol, so i purchased some Feo, honda high performance oil, its 10w 30, API SL. they said its sold world wide after approx 500kms, the noise went away i could not believe it, sold that vehicle to my daughter she has done approx 130000km still know problems, and i now own a 2001 honda odyssey and use Honda Feo oil in that all the time. Now a mate of mine owns a old 69 Buick Riviera it had a couple of noisy lifters so i told him about Feo oil, he changed it and believe it or not did the same thing it fixed it and hes never had a problem a gain. Regards Wayne.
- By albert2000 in forum C5 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 11Last Post: 05-06-06, 10:49 AM
- By verbanik in forum C3 General DiscussionReplies: 9Last Post: 12-02-04, 03:29 PM
- By WolfeBros in forum C5 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 47Last Post: 06-08-04, 03:37 PM
- By youwish2bme in forum C1 & C2 General and Technical DiscussionReplies: 27Last Post: 06-16-03, 12:03 AM
- By vettenuts in forum C5 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 1Last Post: 04-12-03, 04:22 PM