Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thread: GM POWER book

matchframe

Default GM POWER book

bossvette recommended I get the GM POWER book to learn more about my Big Block. I finally bought one the other day, and it is the best money I have spent on a book! The book details the differences between the different generations of GM engines.

My interest is in the Big Blocks, and the descriptions the POWER Book gives, I now have a good understanding about the differences between the different generations, and between standard deck, tall deck, and Bow Tie blocks. It even has blueprints of the blocks. The book also has part numbers, torque values and compatibility of parts between the different blocks

The book is also a good reference for Small Blocks. It details the evolutions of the early Small Blocks, to the high tech blocks of today.

There is even a detailed section about building performance V6 engines.

The POWER Book is written by the very engineers that design and build engines for GM. The only place they are for sale is at GM dealers parts department.

I recommend this book to anyone who is serious about learning the details, and performance potential of the Small Block, and Big Block engines.

Bill

www.bigdogvettes.com

Ken
    Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe

Hey Bill, how about if we share this information with more than just the C3 crowd. Okay with you if I move this to the General Tech forum?

Gone but not forgotten bossvette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1968 1997

what edition are they up to now, I have a 6th which is the second one I have owned. Does the new one cover the LS1?

A tip to anyone going to a auto show where Chevrolet is they usually discount the power book and the restoration parts catalog when purchased together at the shows both are valuable reference tools

matchframe

Thanks for moving this Ken.

The one I just bought is the 7th edition. They should be a little more up to date than they are, this one was released Feb 1994.

It does not cover the LS1s, but it does have the ZZ engines.

It also does not have the Gen VI Big Blocks. But there was not much difference between the Gen V & Gen VI except roller cam capable as stock, and mechanical fuel pump boss brought back on the Gen VI. I was amazed to see that the Gen V 454 HO had an output of 425 HP @ 5250 rpm.

I did find it interesting that the POWER book has its own part number: #24502488

Bill

www.bigdogvettes.com

Corvette(s)
    1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)

I have bought a few of these over the years and they are a wealth of information. I think I have the 1st edition downstairs in storage. The Power Manual used to include the high performance parts listings all in one book back then. For anyone setting up a suspension the Vehicle Dymanics section is a must read.

Tom
    NCRS 1360.............SACC 2082.............C1 Registry..............L81 Registry