Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow

Default 120 MPH Crash Test...

Randy Smith, Kokomo, Indiana
    Velocity Yellow 2006 6sp, Z51

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

Buncha morons if you ask me.

I can understand why they are so amazed and in awe of the results of a 120 mph barrier collision.

I mean....if they had any more than half-a-brain, what other possible outcome could they have expected?

Corvette(s)
    2006 C6Z DSOM

I found it fascinating. Watching the car's crumple zones work (even at this tremendous energy level) is always something we can learn from. Sure they're designed to work at much less energy, but they worked somewhat, even @ 120. A speed they were clearly not designed to handle.

Are/were they "morons?" I would say no, as scientists conduct experiments outside the typical performance parameters all the time. This is how we learn. It seemed to me that proper safety precautions were observed for this experiment, and I didn't notice anyone acting "stupidly."

While this test is unusual, I think there may be some value in it, providing total analysis is performed. I don't find it necessary to "test" all cars as this particular scenario rarely happens, but sacrificing a couple cars and maybe a truck (lorry) or 2 wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Can you imagine testing a motorcycle @ 120 into a wall? Talk about messy!

Mac
    Corvette(s)
    yellow 1973 coupe L82 4 spd with no power options

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    I found it fascinating. Watching the car's crumple zones work (even at this tremendous energy level) is always something we can learn from. Sure they're designed to work at much less energy, but they worked somewhat, even @ 120. A speed they were clearly not designed to handle.

Are/were they "morons?" I would say no, as scientists conduct experiments outside the typical performance parameters all the time. This is how we learn. It seemed to me that proper safety precautions were observed for this experiment, and I didn't notice anyone acting "stupidly."

While this test is unusual, I think there may be some value in it, providing total analysis is performed. I don't find it necessary to "test" all cars as this particular scenario rarely happens, but sacrificing a couple cars and maybe a truck (lorry) or 2 wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Can you imagine testing a motorcycle @ 120 into a wall? Talk about messy!

I doubt the host will be doing any analysis but hopefully the scientists will... although with no sensors, the analysis would all be based on watching the high-speed footage and measuring/analyzing/examining the wreck.

Didn't Mythbusters do a similar crash into an immovable object along with crashing a couple of cars together at speed, basically trying to prove/disprove the difference between crashing two cars meeting head-on at X speed versus one car meeting wall at 2X speed? I think readers disagreed with Jamie's assertion that the physics made the damage equal or something like that.

-Mac

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

I guess some missed my point.

The "morons" are the media and spectators who seemed astonished at the results of the test.

Like...what were they expecting other than scrap metal?

Mac
    Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    I guess some missed my point.

The "morons" are the media and spectators who seemed astonished at the results of the test.

Like...what were they expecting other than scrap metal?
    Dramatic music, perhaps? Actors aren't noted for a firm grasp of reality.

-Mac

Corvette(s)
    04 Medium Spiral Gray Coupe

Pretty interesting really.

Corvette(s)
    2004 Z06 CE & 2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue

Quote Originally Posted by yellow_2002_germany View Post
    OK, I watched it... quite interesting, the host is a bit of a drama queen don't you think??
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,
    Z06/Z16 #1689

Mac
    Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ16 View Post
    OK, I watched it... quite interesting, the host is a bit of a drama queen don't you think??
    Pretty much. I wonder what he'd do if something unpredictable happened?

-Mac

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.

I'm sure that the stunt did what it was supposed to do: generate revenue.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech