Results 1 to 8 of 8
- 07-14-11, 03:27 PM #1
Anyone using recycled motor oil like Valvoline's NextGen?
Looks like a great idea.
- 07-14-11, 03:39 PM #2
I may try it in my daughter's Hyundai Tucson. I use Pennzoil synthetic in the Vette, SSR and Equinox.There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance
- 07-14-11, 06:16 PM #3
Do you use condoms in your car or motor oil......?There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance
- 07-15-11, 02:02 PM #4
Why would I put recycled motor oil in any of my vehicles, especially my corvettes? Let the enviros ruin their engines. Took several minutes to understand Catbert's second comment.
- 07-15-11, 04:00 PM #5
It was my understanding that some percentage of recycled oil is already in use today. What is different is the percentage in this NextGen product of 50%, with the ability to go to 85%. The remaining 15% would be additives that are not recycled.
Re-refining motor oil reduces the need to tap limited virgin crude resources. Modern re-refining processes turn used motor oil to a like-new condition by removing dirt and contaminants before blending sophisticated lubricating additives to protect engines. All major car manufacturers have approved the use of American Petroleum Institute (API) certified re-refined oil in their vehicles.
- 07-21-11, 08:21 AM #6
Oil itself doesn't wear out, the additives go away and the oil gets dirty. Clean it , take out what is left of the old additives , put in new additives and it is just like new.
- 09-24-11, 10:39 PM #7
They have been re/refining motor oil for so many years. It was the main staple for oil burner cars that I can remember. It was usually done by second tier companies and quality was always suspect.
In Russia in the 60's they used re/refined oil for new cars. It was cheaper and they considered that it would help break-in the engine better than new oil. It was thought that hopefully it wouldnt be in for too long.
NOW the demands are so high I dont know how well they refine it.
For the most part used oil was bought by ships, and burned at sea!! They dont even refine the stuff since it's better than the stuff they use normally.
BTW how much will you save??? -----Other than saving the planet.
- 09-25-11, 10:16 AM #8
It was way to hard for me to adapt to oil changes every 5,000 miles let alone putting re-cycled oil in my vehicles.
Old Rare stills gets a transfusion every 3,000 miles Abby and the Montero every 4,500 to 5,000 or at least once a year if not by mileage requirements... Usually Abby in the Spring and the Montero in the Spring and Fall
Old school here, used Lucky Strike (re-claimed ) Oil back in the 60's in an old 1946 Oil Burning Second Gear Jamming Wheel squeaking Chevy
"Quality, not quantity""The American people will never knowingly adopt "SOCIALISM." But, under the name of "LIBERALISM," they will adopt every fragment of the "SOCIALIST" program, until one day America will be a "SOCIALIST NATION," without knowing how it happened.
(Norman Thomas, U.S. SOCIALIST PARTY CANDIDATE PARTY presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948)
- By Marv02 in forum C4 Parts For Sale / WantedReplies: 0Last Post: 06-28-10, 11:33 PM
- By speedy427 in forum C3 Parts For Sale / WantedReplies: 0Last Post: 09-09-09, 08:55 AM
- By dstrouts in forum L81 Vette Registry ForumReplies: 5Last Post: 12-27-07, 12:23 PM
- By Smokie Joe in forum C3 Technical and PerformanceReplies: 4Last Post: 12-11-05, 05:11 PM