Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!


Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member dannimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    30
    Corvette(s)
    1985 Red Coupe

    Default Would you trade a C4 for a 67 Firebird Convertible?

    I have the opportunity to trade my C4 (excellent condition), for a '67 Firebird Convertible. The Firebird is a driver and in very good shape (not excellent, but darn close).

    I love my C4 (and it has sentimental value), but one of my favorite cars ever since I was a kid was a Firebird convertible.

    The C4 is immaculate and all original, even down to the original owners manual. Red, with charcol leather, 4+3, etc. The Firebird body is in extremely good shape, has been painted (original color), pretty good paint job, does not have the original motor (has a 72 or 73 350 in it), manual transmission.

    I told the guy I would give him $18,000 (should have said $15,000- as I think he would take it- because he said, "I'll sell it for $15,000, and I said, "Hell, I'll pay $18000" . I'd had a few bourbons). I'm not always the best at haggling....

    We went over and looked at my car, and he flipped over it. I joked I would trade him even, and he wanted to do the deal on the spot (he'd had too many beers). Then I told him I would throw in my TR-6 (just kidding- but it did cross my mind!)

    I'm wondering if any of these cars are going to be worth anything in the future (as I might have to sell it to help pay for college in 5 to 10 years). I'm also wondering which one will be worth more.

    So, do you guys (and gals) think I'm crazy for entertaining such an idea? Any thoughts on which will appreciate the most? Other than not drinking and making deals, any advice?

  2. #2
    Member shark454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    179
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Coupe 1972 454 auto red

    Default

    I think I'd do it. There are many more c4's than 67 conv. Firebirds. 85's are ok but the newer the c4, the better the car got, so if you change your mind later, sell the firebird and get a newer c4, or even a c5.

    I would have to think the 67 convert would appreciate more than the c4.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Posts
    184
    Corvette(s)
    1991 White Convertible

    Default

    neither car is worth $18k... nor $15k for that matter ( opinions vary of course )

  4. #4
    Member dannimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    30
    Corvette(s)
    1985 Red Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    neither car is worth $18k... nor $15k for that matter ( opinions vary of course )
    I agree with you. I think they are getting close to that amount though. Since the '67 doesn't have the original engine, does that kill it's value?

  5. #5
    Member dannimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    30
    Corvette(s)
    1985 Red Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shark454 View Post
    I think I'd do it. There are many more c4's than 67 conv. Firebirds. 85's are ok but the newer the c4, the better the car got, so if you change your mind later, sell the firebird and get a newer c4, or even a c5.

    I would have to think the 67 convert would appreciate more than the c4.
    Thanks, I'm really tempted. My dad was the original owner of the c4, so I know how well it has been maintained.

    There are always little annoying things going wrong with the c4, do you think the '67 would be more reliable?

  6. #6
    Member shark454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    179
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Coupe 1972 454 auto red

    Default

    No, I think your c4 would more than likely be more reliable. The rag top 67 Firebird has that pizzazz factor. The C4, IMHO, is too common.

    If you want pizzazz and a fun little toy, go 67 firebird.

    If you want well maintained (original condition?!?) go C4 but 65 is not a hugely desireable year. They fixed the 84 problems and went with the new engine.

    I'd like the Firebird to tinker with as a toy. But as a daily driver, C4 is it.

    Good Luck!

  7. #7
    Member bucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    840
    Corvette(s)
    1992

    Default

    i had a 68, 400 4 speed..it was pretty big fun, but i dont think its as much fun as my 92 C4..

    for the money its the firebird so you can sell it and buy another corvette...
    hey...if you have to question something, it usually means NO.

  8. #8
    Moderator KANE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    3,324
    Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannimo View Post
    I have the opportunity to trade my C4 (excellent condition), for a '67 Firebird Convertible. The Firebird is a driver and in very good shape (not excellent, but darn close)...
    As the token Pontiac guy...


    I'd pass and NOT trade your C4 for a 1st gen Fbody. Your Vette has an emotional bond. The Firebird is just a nice car.



    Now, if you could have both...

    BTW--- Dan- If I can ever got out of the house- I still owe you this book...

  9. #9
    Member mike82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Claremore,Okla.
    Posts
    122
    Corvette(s)
    L82 Pace

    Default

    Doesn't sound bad, if the firebird is as nice as it sounds and you pass on the deal,you may not find another as nice, it would be easy to tinker with.
    Or you could get your buddy drunk again, tell him the 'bird and 5 grand for the 'vette.

  10. #10
    Member 89blackvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sylvester, Georgia
    Posts
    165
    Corvette(s)
    1992 white Coupe

    Default

    Go to N.A.D.A. Home Page and look at classic cars to get an idea of value of the Firebird. This will help you make up your mind.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    s.florida
    Posts
    216
    Corvette(s)
    1979 Blk L48

    Default

    if the firebird is not falling apart and is rust free i wouldnt think twice about trading my 79 for it.

  12. #12
    Member dannimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    30
    Corvette(s)
    1985 Red Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    As the token Pontiac guy...


    I'd pass and NOT trade your C4 for a 1st gen Fbody. Your Vette has an emotional bond. The Firebird is just a nice car.



    Now, if you could have both...

    BTW--- Dan- If I can ever got out of the house- I still owe you this book...
    I got such a good deal on the 'vette, I might be able to talk the wife into letting me buy it "for her" ! If you are still interested checking out why my car won't start let me know! I've been putting off towing it to the garage.

  13. #13
    Member dannimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    30
    Corvette(s)
    1985 Red Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shark454 View Post
    No, I think your c4 would more than likely be more reliable. The rag top 67 Firebird has that pizzazz factor. The C4, IMHO, is too common.

    If you want pizzazz and a fun little toy, go 67 firebird.

    If you want well maintained (original condition?!?) go C4 but 65 is not a hugely desireable year. They fixed the 84 problems and went with the new engine.

    I'd like the Firebird to tinker with as a toy. But as a daily driver, C4 is it.

    Good Luck!
    I am not very mechanically adept. I think I would find working on the Firebird less intimidating than working on the Corvette. The 'vette scares me. I have done little stuff with my '73 Chevy, but I am afraid to do much more than open the lid on the 'vette. Also, I am finding this car is less than reliable (new water pump a few weeks ago, and now it won't start- I think I know why, but have yet to take her in and have it fixed.) Plus, it's on it's third clutch, slave, master etc. since 2007.

  14. #14
    Member dannimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    30
    Corvette(s)
    1985 Red Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shark454 View Post
    I think I'd do it. There are many more c4's than 67 conv. Firebirds. 85's are ok but the newer the c4, the better the car got, so if you change your mind later, sell the firebird and get a newer c4, or even a c5.

    I would have to think the 67 convert would appreciate more than the c4.
    I think you're right.

  15. #15
    Member dannimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    30
    Corvette(s)
    1985 Red Coupe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    As the token Pontiac guy...
    I'd pass and NOT trade your C4 for a 1st gen Fbody. Your Vette has an emotional bond. The Firebird is just a nice car.
    I think you're right too

    Quote Originally Posted by mike82 View Post
    Doesn't sound bad, if the firebird is as nice as it sounds and you pass on the deal,you may not find another as nice, it would be easy to tinker with.
    Or you could get your buddy drunk again, tell him the 'bird and 5 grand for the 'vette.
    I think you're right too

    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    if the firebird is not falling apart and is rust free i wouldnt think twice about trading my 79 for it.
    hmm... agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    neither car is worth $18k... nor $15k for that matter ( opinions vary of course )
    maybe so, but it's still a tough decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    i had a 68, 400 4 speed..it was pretty big fun, but i dont think its as much fun as my 92 C4..

    for the money its the firebird so you can sell it and buy another corvette...
    hey...if you have to question something, it usually means NO.
    Dang! You're right too!

    Quote Originally Posted by 89blackvette View Post
    Go to N.A.D.A. Home Page and look at classic cars to get an idea of value of the Firebird. This will help you make up your mind.
    Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by mike82 View Post
    Or you could get your buddy drunk again, tell him the 'bird and 5 grand for the 'vette.
    That just might work. 10 years ago I bought a BMW off a friend of his. We were a grand apart. I called him up to dicker and could tell he was good and buzzed. So I went over there and told him, "we're only a thousand dollars apart. If you throw in your truck for which you said was worth $1500, we got a deal. He threw the truck in!

Similar Threads

  1. C4 Convertible Top Replacement
    By Ed Bradley 88 C4 Convt in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-21-05, 12:19 PM
  2. 1993 C4 Convertible for sale
    By Tj's Vette in forum C4 Corvettes For Sale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-04, 11:18 PM
  3. Wanted: willing to trade for a C4 convertible
    By MaineShark in forum C4 Corvettes For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-04, 08:26 PM
  4. Installing hard top on 86 C4 convertible
    By Bob Yates in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-04, 09:35 PM
  5. C4 Convertible -- CD Changer help?
    By Tj's Vette in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-03, 07:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© CORVETTE is a registered trademark of the General Motors Corporation & Chevrolet Motor Division.  Neither Chevrolet Motor Division nor any subsidiaries of GM© shall bear any responsibility for CorvetteActionCenter.com content, comments, or advertising. CorvetteActionCenter.com is independent from GM© and is not affiliated with, sponsored or supported by GM©.  Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.  All Rights Reserved