Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    White 1994 Roadster, Purple Pearl 1998 Roadster

Default Alternative to a Corvette - the Avanti

In another post someone mentions the Studebaker museum in Indiana. This reminded me of a trip I made to that museum with the Avanti club many years ago. They allowed me to make that trip as a one day member of their club because at the time I was driving a 66 Corvette Roadster which had much in common with some of the Avanti’s.

The Avanti is a great car for someone who wants a bit of Corvette but can’t quite fit into or drive a Corvette comfortably for whatever reason. It’s also great for those who can and do work on their own cars but can’t do body work because like the Corvette, the Avanti is made of fiberglass and won’t rust. ( That’s why they are popular in the Midwest.) If you’re lucky you can find one with the 327 Chevy engine or one of the later ones which will cost a bunch more that has the entire Chevy frame and running gear.

For more info on the Avanti check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Avanti

The trip is short,
    enjoy the ride,
    Denny

Corvette(s)
    Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

Default Here's my American alternative, I'll have to think about my European selection...

Corvette(s)
    07 A6 Coupe

A friend of my fathers had an Avanti back in the 70's. Pretty cool car.

Corvette(s)
    1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"

I live about 15 minutes from the old Studebaker grounds. Some of the buildings are still standing. It is an impressive site, but sad site. There are many pictures of the area when the company was thriving. What a neat time that must have been for the area.

I have seen a lot of Avanti's around here. It is a pretty regular site. A major part of the local history.

I went and looked at a vette that was stored in one of the old buildings. We took a freight elevator to the 3rd floor and it was loaded with old cars that people store.

My grandpa used to tell me stories about his Studebaker's!!

Corvette(s)
    1981 UL5

Alternative to the Corvette Hmmmm..

I would be torn between the “Bolero” for the styling and the ”Teknique GT” for it’s speed

Tongue in cheek gang, tongue in cheek

I could see Dwayne in the Teknique he isn't much on style

Bud

Corvette(s)
    07 A6 Coupe

It would be fun to get to take a tour through the old Studebaker plant.

Corvette(s)
    2015 Shark Grey Coupe with Brownstone

The Avanti's were really nice looking cars for their time and still are. I also liked the Golden Hawk. Never had one but still like them.

Corvette(s)
    Stingray

Quote Originally Posted by vetteboy86 View Post
    I live about 15 minutes from the old Studebaker grounds. Some of the buildings are still standing. It is an impressive site, but sad site. There are many pictures of the area when the company was thriving. What a neat time that must have been for the area.

I have seen a lot of Avanti's around here. It is a pretty regular site. A major part of the local history.

I went and looked at a vette that was stored in one of the old buildings. We took a freight elevator to the 3rd floor and it was loaded with old cars that people store.

Isn't the Silverhawks ballpark in the shadow of a old studey factory building?

Corvette(s)
    2008 vert 6M silver

Quote Originally Posted by vetteboy86 View Post

That is so cool

Corvette(s)
    Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

Default ”Teknique GT”: WOW - Bud Thanks!

Tom showed me a 1935 Auburn 851SC Bobtail at the Kruse 39th Auburn Auto Aution this past weekend, one fine looking automobile!