Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    '69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport

Default Running a Car with Water - Is this a scam?

I saw this on You Tube... Can this be true or is this a scam? Seems too good to be true.

http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/

Ralph
    1969 Corvette Convertible (build date December 14, 1968),
    L-36 427, 390 hp (3963512 block; 3964290 heads), Muncie M-21, Monza Red, Black Top & Black Interior. VB&P Gymkhana 550 lbs/inch coil springs, Bilstein Sport shocks.
    In progress... full body-off restoration.

1972 Camaro Z-28, Rally Sport, Cranberry Red/Black Stripes.
    LS-6 454/425, Muncie M-21, 9.8:1 CR, Lunati 60204 Voodoo Cam (Dur 276/284, Lift .554/.572), Holley 3310-3 (750 CFM), Weiand 8019 Stealth Intake, 3.73:1 Rear, Flowtech Headers 1.75" Primaries, Chambered Exhaust, Custom Works GT Coil Springs, Hotchkis Sport Shocks.

Corvette(s)
    04 Medium Spiral Gray Coupe

I've seen that for a couple of years now, if it were true it would be being done and all out in the open!

Corvette(s)
    '67 Marina Blue Convertible

Scam. They're coming out of the woodwork as gas prices continue to rise; next month there'll be some guy claiming his car runs on bat guano.

Corvette(s)
    1973 Blue Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    next month there'll be some guy claiming his car runs on bat guano.
    Have you heard of "Blue Diesel" not quite guano, but a major part of it. Urea if I'm not mistaken is part of urine? Well, it still needs diesel fuel but it supposedly makes it run "cleaner" Smell??? Get me my aluminium pellets!!!

Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp

If I am not mistaken this is a system where you still run on gasoline but you apply an electrical charge to a container with water and plates similar to a battery. This produces Hydrogen and oxygen. A vacuum hose pulls the gasses into the intake and supplements the gasoline. This is supposed to improve millage considerably.
    If I can find the information on how to build this myself I plan on trying it .

Glenn

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue Z06

You cannot get more energy out of a system than you put in. The amount of fuel needed to convert water to hydrogen and oxygen will be more than you can get back out of it. Some of the energy will be converted to heat. There is no free lunch.
    Save the Wave!

Corvette(s)
    1973 Blue Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by G Winter View Post
    If I am not mistaken this is a system where you still run on gasoline but you apply an electrical charge to a container with water and plates similar to a battery. This produces Hydrogen and oxygen. A vacuum hose pulls the gasses into the intake and supplements the gasoline. This is supposed to improve millage considerably.
    If I can find the information on how to build this myself I plan on trying it .

Glenn
    I have the pdf file of one of the more accepted internet attempts if you would like to take a look at it. But just like DRTH VTR said it takes energy to make energy so you need one heck of a battery source to generate enough H2 to run a car. There is an alternative of using an aluminum/gallium compound that may hold promise, but there are still logistics to be solved and currently it still works out to about the same cost as gasoline.

Corvette(s)
    Nope, Nada, Nein

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie Vette owner View Post
    Have you heard of "Blue Diesel" not quite guano, but a major part of it. Urea if I'm not mistaken is part of urine? Well, it still needs diesel fuel but it supposedly makes it run "cleaner" Smell??? Get me my aluminium pellets!!!
    As it turns out, my company is working with as automotive manufacturer to develop a Urea system for diesel motors, and I'm the lead tech on the project. The brand name of Urea we are using is AddBlue. Urea is nothing more than 33% ammonia and 66% water.

The basics of the system are that Urea is injected in to the exhaust stream in a pre-cat. The ammonia reacts with the NOx molecules, and turns them in to CO2 and N2. The CO2 is then scrubbed from the system by the standard cat.

As for running your car on water. I've done a fair amount of research, and I think there is some truth to it. I know a guy who claims to have a hydrogen generator on his vehicle. He claims it increases his gas mileage by ~20%... I'm thinking I might try it on my beater, when I get one towards the end of the summer. Wish me luck.

Jason

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue Z06

twiget-

How is the hydrogen generated? Is there some method besides electrolysis?

DRTH

Corvette(s)
    Nope, Nada, Nein

Quote Originally Posted by DRTH VTR View Post
    twiget-

How is the hydrogen generated? Is there some method besides electrolysis?

DRTH
    All the methods I've seen are electrolysis based. I'm firmilliar with the law of conservation of energy, and not getting more energy out of a system than you put into it. Someone was spouting off about zero point energy (vacuum energy) as the real source of the extra energy some systems put out. Fortunately for me, I dont have to understand the physics behind how it works to put one together and try it out. If I can find a pre-OBDII car ('95 or older) I shouldnt even have to reprogram the ECU. The O2 sensors in the exhaust should adjust the fuel curve automatically.

Jason

Corvette(s)
    04 Medium Spiral Gray Coupe

I've also seen a story on the news about a car that runs on used cooking grease.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by jrose7004 View Post
    I've also seen a story on the news about a car that runs on used cooking grease.
    There's a couple people around here has Vehicles converted to Cooking Oil!!!

And All Jokes aside, they smell like French Fries cooking running down the road!!No j/k!!
    junk!!
    "WARNING"
    The views and opinions of this forum user might not be suitable for others, this user may appear to be heavily over-medicated, under medicated, intoxicated, listening to the voices in his head or just plain being an ass, so some viewers may be offended!~!!!
    www.gmjunkie.com
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    Nope, Nada, Nein

Quote Originally Posted by jrose7004 View Post
    It turns out that there are a lot of great technologies out there that were never developed becuase Uncle Sam and the Big Three were happy with the way things are/were. Since the Big Three had the money and power, they would buy up competing technologies and shelve them, or lobby Uncle Sam to regulate the technologies out of existance. Now they are hurting, and all the technologies that were quashed in the past are making a comeback.

Jason

Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp

On the H2 it isn't free power but it may help the gasoline burn cleaner. For a lot of yrs propane has been added to diesels for added power and economy. I know it works because I have installed quite a number of them. What the propane does is help burn the heavy ends of the diesel. 20 % increase in power comes real easy. I have noticed now that these systems are offered again as performance add ons. If anyone wants information on this PM me and I will explain how it works and is done. Cost is minimal.
    Where this got it's start was on farm tractors.

Glenn

Corvette(s)
    2002 M.Y. convertible

When Mr. Diesel (I forget his first name) first reveiled his diesel engine at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair he used cooking oil! I've heard of guys using water injectors in their diesel engines to get better milage. Being in the trucking business and my daily driver (Kenworth) averaging about 6 miles a gallon, I'm game for anything if it works!
    A Proud U.S. Navy Veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast