Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
    Corvette(s)
    1982 ANNIVERSARY

Default 1982 crossfire injection

My car is sputtering. It seems to be getting to much gas and stalls out. Any ideas?

Corvette(s)
    1982 Collector Edition

Hi PattyWack.

When you say stalls out, is that when it's cold or when it warmed up? Also, do you get any codes? A common issue is the Vacuum on our cars, not getting enough from the manifold but without more info it's hard to trouble shoot via the internet.

If you give us more information, maybe we can hunt this one down.

-Stefan

Corvette(s)
    1982 Dark Claret Coupe - 383CI CFI

Quote Originally Posted by pattywack View Post
    My car is sputtering. It seems to be getting to much gas and stalls out. Any ideas?
    Like mentioned, do you have a CEL and if so, what are the code(s)? It may just be the CTS sensor if it does it when warm. Post more info.

Corvette(s)
    1982 ANNIVERSARY

Help

Quote Originally Posted by 82ColEd View Post
    Hi PattyWack.

When you say stalls out, is that when it's cold or when it warmed up? Also, do you get any codes? A common issue is the Vacuum on our cars, not getting enough from the manifold but without more info it's hard to trouble shoot via the internet.

NO THE CAR DOES THIS WARMED UP OR NOT .
    ALSO I WAS TOLD TO CHANGED THE GAS PUMP WITH A 1985 PUMP INSTEAD OF THE 82 SO I DID. NO DIFFERENCE i ALSO SAW THAT INJECTORS WOULD STILL PUMP GAS WHEN THE KEY WAS IN ACCESSORY MODE

-Stefan
    No the car does this when it is cold or warm. I was told to install a 1985 gas pump which I did and it made no difference. It looks like when the key is in the accessory mode the car is still pumping out fuel.

Corvette(s)
    1982 ANNIVERSARY

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Like mentioned, do you have a CEL and if so, what are the code(s)? It may just be the CTS sensor if it does it when warm. Post more info.

were would i find this cts sensor

Corvette(s)
    1982 Dark Claret Coupe - 383CI CFI

Quote Originally Posted by pattywack View Post
    were would i find this cts sensor
    The CTS sensor is in the front of the intake manifold under a white, now probably yellowed plastic hooded piece if still there. You can't miss it.

Are the injector(s) dribbling out when you turn the key off when warm? If so, there are three o-rings around each injector in the pod, one small rubber one at the bottom, one large rubber at the top with a steel ring. The small ring(s) may be bad and leaking.If you are going to go through the trouble of checking them, you might as well do a rebuild which is simple to do.

If you are not getting a CEL (check engine light), then the issue is either not being controlled or monitored by the ECM if the ECM is working properly, thus not setting a code.

Just for GPs, after you replaced the fuel pump, where did you set the fuel pressure, did you check it?

Corvette(s)
    1982 ANNIVERSARY

The CTS sensor is in the front of the intake manifold under a white, now probably yellowed plastic hooded piece if still there. You can't miss it.

Are the injector(s) dribbling out when you turn the key off when warm? If so, there are three o-rings around each injector in the pod, one small rubber one at the bottom, one large rubber at the top with a steel ring. The small ring(s) may be bad and leaking.If you are going to go through the trouble of checking them, you might as well do a rebuild which is simple to do.

If you are not getting a CEL (check engine light), then the issue is either not being controlled or monitored by the ECM if the ECM is working properly, thus not setting a code.

Just for GPs, after you replaced the fuel pump, where did you set the fuel pressure, did you check it?
    I don't know how to set the gas pump HELP

Corvette(s)
    1982 ANNIVERSARY

[QUOTE=82ColEd;988704]Hi PattyWack.

Stefan
    Cold or hot it stops running and no i don't have any codes to give you. is there any vacuum lines i could look for and were would i look for them.
    thanks.
    I guess i need to go to a tech. for the codes. Some one said something about a cts sensor. Is that some thing to check out?
    Pattywack

Corvette(s)
    84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black

Mine did the same thing and it was the CTS sensor, I changed that and it ran great.

Corvette(s)
    1982 Collector Edition

I tend to think CTS as well.. It's a bear to get out and get a new one back (And it dribbles Fluid when you do it), but mine had the connector head fall off when i touched it and it resolved some weird idle i had.

To get a CEL Code: check this link: Pulling Codes on your Corvette without a code reader

Also, when you turn the key, does the CEL light come on ? It should then go off when you start the car. If it doesnt turn off, then you have a code and need to pulll it, but if not, it might not mean a thing, as not everything is ECM controlled.

I would check the CTS in the front of the engine, it's fairly cheap to replace, if that doesnt do it, then check the injectors. See what kind of gas you're getting, as mentioned before is it still dribbling once you shut off the engine? How is the spray pattern when it runs? It should be nice and even...

But it might not be a bad idea to check with a computer either. Replacing parts that arent bad only costs a bundle and wont do anything. Be patient, this might take a bit, but in the end will be worth it.

-Stefan

Corvette(s)
    82/01 C3/C5

with the new fuel pump .. was the pressure set .???