Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information!
Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Red Vette View Post
    I am going to rely on gmjunkie's advice. I tried the T wax ice by itself and found it to be terrible. It streaked and did not shine. 6shooter told me to let it dry longer than what is written on the label and use a microfiber towel. I use Zaino products and their clay bar on my vettes and they look great and so easy. But I want to try the TwaxIce on my blazers to see how it works if I do it correctly. So I went out and purchased the liquid clay bar and still have quite a bit of Ice. gmjunkie has posted pics of his work with the Ice, and I was impressed. Since he has never steered anyone wrong on the forum, I will try the stuff, hopefully this weekend. The bottle of liquid clay bar did not say to use a mircrofiber towel, nor did it say use a white cotton towel. But the print was small and I will have to read the label again.

Question for Mr. Junk - do you use a regular towel, microfiber towel, or something else for the Ice and the Liquid Clay Bar, or can you use the same kind of towel for each? Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Barrett
    The liquid clay bar comes with a Applicator sponge!! It's all in a bottle,just shake it up and apply to the sponge and apply in 1 direction like you would a normal Clay bar!! It doesn't take allot!!! Fact is, I can probly do it to 10-12 more cars with this bottle!!!It says to wash with soap and water,dry and apply Liquid Ice Polish, I allowed mine to haze up like wax and removed it easily with a Micro fiber Towel!!The stuff don't stick to weatherstrips bad either!! And then I applied the Liquid Ice Polish!!It don't Take Much either,just rub a small amount in till you cant hardly tell you put anything on just make sure you don't miss a spot,It WILL Show up Big time!!!!!If it Looks Greasy,You used to Much!! If it smears and streaks after it Dries while removing,You used to much!!! But it's not a problem,just wipe it down again in a few minutes!! My shop is air conditioned so it don't take it long to dry!! And the MICRO FIBER Towels are a MUST!!!!!!!I found a FAT package of 12-20x20 at Advance Auto Parts for $10.00!! I tried to use a regular bath towel the first time and it streaked Terrible!!!
    And believe it or not,that little one they send with the Ice is big enough to do the whole car!!!!
    1p1060985-jpg
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

How To Use A Clay Bar Red Vette's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    08 VR Convertible 2014 TR Coupe

Junk, thanks for the information. Your short treatise on applying and wiping the clay and ice may solve my problem of streaking. Since I live at 8600 feet, I don't have the need for air conditioning as the climate is quite dry. Will let you know how the ice application works. Thanks again.
    Barrett

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Vette View Post
    Junk, thanks for the information. Your short treatise on applying and wiping the clay and ice may solve my problem of streaking. Since I live at 8600 feet, I don't have the need for air conditioning as the climate is quite dry. Will let you know how the ice application works. Thanks again.
    Barrett
    A follow-up to my last post. The Labor Day weekend is past and I used the time, between rainstorms, to use the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar and Ice Wax on three S-10 Chevys, of course all red. I had previously used Zaino after the clay bar treatment on my two vettes and could not have been happier with the results. Was skeptical about the Turtle Wax Ice as it left streaks on one S-10 that I had not clay barred. I am pleased to say that I liked the T Wax Ice clay bar, and to some extent, the T Wax Ice.

Some of you may recall in the C1, C2, and C3 days that polishing a vette was time consuming. In the 60s, I purchased Blue Coral, which at the time was only available thru a Cadillac dealer, hence the original name, Cadillac Blue Coral. After washing the car, I used the Blue Coral paste and rubbed, and rubbed and rubbed till the shine was acceptable, and it was fantastic. There was so much oxidation on the towel that it could not be reused for detailing purposes. Then I applied the Blue Coral liquid as a sealer. I used the liquid sealer once a month to protect the shine. I only had to use the paste once per year and it was much easier after the initial application. This was time consuming and one had to be careful not to get the paste or liquid onto the black parts. IMO, the T Wax Ice clay bar is much like the Blue Coral paste as it will bring out the shine and remove the detritus adhering to the paint. I did it in sections as the instructions stated, used a microfiber towel to remove, and got a great shine. Then I applied the T Wax Ice, let it dry longer than the instructions, and used a microfiber towel. I don't believe that the T Wax Ice is as good as the Zaino product. The T Wax liquid clay bar is great because one does not worry about dropping the bar, a great advantage to those of us who have a tendency to drop items. Another great feature of both T Wax liquid clay bar and Ice wax is that it does not cause a problem with the black weather stripping or trim pieces. Rowdy and Junk were correct on this. And 6 shooter was correct on advising the use of the microfiber towel. I don't think the Ice Liquid Wax is very effective without the prior use of the Clay Bar liquid. As I stated, very similar to Blue Coral treatment in my past.

It took me 3 hours for each vehicle after washing. When I Zaino'd my vettes last Spring, it only took a little more than one hour, not including washing. I plan to keep using the T Wax liquid clay bar when necessary, but will switch to Zaino for the rest of the job. My opinion might change as I see how the blazers do during the winter months in snow country, i.e. does the T Wax Ice hold up? I know the vettes will be okay as they will be nessled under their car covers in a heated garage, waiting for spring thaw.

Thanks again to Junk and 6 Shooter for their advice. As stated earlier, this is only my opinion on the use of T Wax Clay Bar and Ice. I really like the fact that the T Wax products do not stain the black trim or plastic. In fact, when I used both on the plastic trim below the windshield and the two outside mirror housings, they turned out great with no streaks.

Barrett

How To Use A Clay Bar rascal_rascal_99's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    92 coupe black rose

That's a bit ironic to me that it took longer for you, the T wax liquid clay bar and polish afterwards to me were easier and quicker for me to apply than the two normal cycles of Zaino that I go through, I know it definitely polished in faster. I'm not sure if it's a better gloss/shine than the Z products, but I think it's atleast as good. I'm curious as to how long it will stay with the car and what repeated cycles of this stuff will be like. If it seems to stay with the car as well as the Z stuff, I'm probably switching.
    rascal

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rascal_rascal_99 View Post
    That's a bit ironic to me that it took longer for you, the T wax liquid clay bar and polish afterwards to me were easier and quicker for me to apply than the two normal cycles of Zaino that I go through, I know it definitely polished in faster. I'm not sure if it's a better gloss/shine than the Z products, but I think it's atleast as good. I'm curious as to how long it will stay with the car and what repeated cycles of this stuff will be like. If it seems to stay with the car as well as the Z stuff, I'm probably switching.
    Charlie
    Had your car been clay barred before? The 3 S-10s had never been clay barred, but had been waxed every year. I was surprised too, on how long it took to do the S-10s, probably due to more surface area. On your corvette, I'll bet the black rose color is outstanding after the clay bar and Zaino (or T Wax) application. What color does it appear to be? I know that at Colorado Springs, it appeared to change color with the light.

Wish I could go on the Dragon with you this fall - maybe next year.
    Barrett

How To Use A Clay Bar rascal_rascal_99's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    92 coupe black rose

Actually, all I'd done before was Z5 then Z2 (both with the ZFX added in), and used the Z6 finishing spray, I would go through this every time I washed the car...so nope, no clay barring before. I can liquid clay bar and ice polish from T wax quicker and easier than I could do my Zaino routine and I'm sure it looks just as good, it's been close to a week and the car still looks great, just a little dusty from being driven daily since I've washed it. I'm curious what it will do if I wash and just finishing spray it this weekend and then how well that holds over the course of another week.

As for the color, stare at it hard enough and it'll be whatever color you want it to be! The more overcast or the darker outside it is, the darker the paint color looks. You'd be amazed at how many times I've ran into someone and night and heard "love the black vette, why'd you get rid of the purple one?" lol
    rascal

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    bright red 1984 crossfire

Quote Originally Posted by rascal_rascal_99 View Post
    Actually, all I'd done before was Z5 then Z2 (both with the ZFX added in), and used the Z6 finishing spray, I would go through this every time I washed the car...so nope, no clay barring before. I can liquid clay bar and ice polish from T wax quicker and easier than I could do my Zaino routine and I'm sure it looks just as good, it's been close to a week and the car still looks great, just a little dusty from being driven daily since I've washed it. I'm curious what it will do if I wash and just finishing spray it this weekend and then how well that holds over the course of another week.

As for the color, stare at it hard enough and it'll be whatever color you want it to be! The more overcast or the darker outside it is, the darker the paint color looks. You'd be amazed at how many times I've ran into someone and night and heard "love the black vette, why'd you get rid of the purple one?" lol
    i tried one of these clay bars and while i thought it worked great its just to much of a god damn science project for me..... im sure i will try it again tho

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    red 1992 coupe

Just did the clay bar thing today for the first time. My '92 has 120k miles through Illinois corn fields (big bugs jump out at night) and the paint was really starting to look old. I wax regularly (mothers) and use bug and tar remover as needed, but the car has never looked as good as it does after the clay. WOW! I'm a believer. I just wish I had taken some before pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe

Well Guys,It's been over 10 months,over 15,000 miles,And still Looks Like this!!!
    Still setting Outside too!!

p1070904-jpg

p1070913-jpg

p1070911-jpg
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    red 1992 coupe

Default I know I'm right when I'm in agreement with Junkie!!!

Mine's only been a month and a half, but yeah, it's still looking incredible from that clay bar treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    2004 Comemmorative Edition Convertible

I used the Meguiar's Claybar, and was pretty happy with the results.

I broke the bar into 3 pieces and used one of them. I rolled it around in my
    hand and stretched it out a few times, kind of like Silly Putty.The kit came with Meguiar's
    Quick Detailer which gets used as the 'lube' for the clay.

I did find that without adequate lube the clay didn't move easily and tended to leave
    clay 'streaks'. More lube and quick do-over eliminated the streaks. I also found that
    after each area if I re-rolled the clay it worked better than just wiping it with the
    same surface over and over.

When I was done, the color looked much clearer and the finish was silky smooth.
    I have washed and waxed it since the process, and it took less time to wash and
    the drying time was also reduced as the water basically sheeted right off the car.

I haven't used the other products that have been detailed in this thread, so I can't
    offer a comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    2016 Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Kehraus View Post
    I used the Meguiar's Claybar, and was pretty happy with the results.

I broke the bar into 3 pieces and used one of them. I rolled it around in my
    hand and stretched it out a few times, kind of like Silly Putty.The kit came with Meguiar's
    Quick Detailer which gets used as the 'lube' for the clay.

I did find that without adequate lube the clay didn't move easily and tended to leave
    clay 'streaks'. More lube and quick do-over eliminated the streaks. I also found that
    after each area if I re-rolled the clay it worked better than just wiping it with the
    same surface over and over.

When I was done, the color looked much clearer and the finish was silky smooth.
    I have washed and waxed it since the process, and it took less time to wash and
    the drying time was also reduced as the water basically sheeted right off the car.

I haven't used the other products that have been detailed in this thread, so I can't
    offer a comparison.
    Glad you saw the difference and found it to be an easy process. I'm a huge fan of clay bar applications at least once a year.

Elaine

2016 Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic Z06

National Corvette Museum Member

Sales
    Corvette Mike New England
    Toll-free: 877-427-8388
    Cell: 617-872-8252

"Corvette Mike New England"

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    1984 L83/MD8 red coupe