Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information!
Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    1994 Black Rose Coupe

Default Re: Today I clayed with my car...

Originally posted by les
    .... Then I carefully clayed the car. .....
    What brand of clay bar did you use?
    I bought the Meguiars stuff (white bar) and think it did more harm than good?
    It seems to be a very "hard" clay vs something soft and plyable.
    I even tried holding it in my hands to further warm it up.
    Yes I did use the detailing spray with it

Just wondering what you used, or anyone else for that matter.
    Where did you find it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    2010 CRMT Grand Sport Coupe

Default Re: Re: Today I clayed with my car...

Originally posted by Corvette-Pilot

Where did you find it?

Thanks
    I would think lubrication might be the issue. I used the Zaino bar last summer. They said for a lubricant, use 1/2 capful of car wash to 12 oz. water in a spray bottle and keep the area you are working on lubricated well. I don't see how you could get enough lubrication with the detailing spray (even if Meguiars says to).

Guy

DetailingDude

Default Re: Re: Today I clayed with my car...

Originally posted by Corvette-Pilot

Where did you find it?

Thanks
    Meguiar's is my least-favorite of the bunch. I had pretty much the same experience with it. It is not horrible, don't get me wrong, but I found the others to be better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    1994 Black Rose Coupe

Default Re: Re: Re: Today I clayed with my car...

Originally posted by DetailingDude
    Meguiar's is my least-favorite of the bunch. I had pretty much the same experience with it. It is not horrible, don't get me wrong, but I found the others to be better.
    I think it might be mine too

What brands offer a better bar that I can get in the stores?
    Maybe even mail order since the car is away for the season there isn't much of a rush to get it I supose.

I'll also try what 82-Guy said and uses some wash/water mixture and see if it helps before trashing the stuff.

Does Meguiars have a 100% satisfied warranty?
    I may want to call them on this.

DetailingDude

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Today I clayed with my car...

What brands offer a better bar that I can get in the stores?
    Maybe even mail order since the car is away for the season there isn't much of a rush to get it I supose.

Mother's is one that is readily available at WalMart for $13.87

I'll also try what 82-Guy said and uses some wash/water mixture and see if it helps before trashing the stuff.
    What you'll notice is that the clay bar won't last as long. However, in your case, you aren't doing the volume of a detail shop so you'll probably do fine with it.

Does Meguiars have a 100% satisfied warranty?
    I may want to call them on this.

They may not actually offer it, but I am sure that if you do call them on it they will gladly refund or give you product credit.

les

Default Re,RE....

I used Mothers clay bar kit. It comes with the spray shine and it is a very good lubrication. As the Dude said you can get it at Wal-Mart. Oh and thanks Guy for the tip on the Porter-Cabel buffer, It worked great!! Thanks Dude for suggesting we clay the windows---Wow what a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    2010 CRMT Grand Sport Coupe

Mike, Check your PM for a phone number. My friend at Meguiars wants to see if he can help.

Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    '74 Yellow/Tan int '96 Black/Black int LT4

Default detail dude

Dude

Your thread got my wife on a clay bar kick She went out and bought the Clay Magic blue and the guy at the store told her to use Meguiars Final Inspection 34 as a lubricant. She also got Tork 909 towels, and 3M general adhesive cleaner. This is our respectable auto paint shop in town. What do you think? I say " if I use the Mcguiars as a lube I'm putting on wax that im gonna end up taking off with the 3M."

Wamp
    "96 Coupe
    "74 Stingray

DetailingDude

Default Re: detail dude

Your thread got my wife on a clay bar kick
    That is GREAT!! My GF now gets a lot of satisfaction out of detailing her car. I was watching a show on TV that talked about women getting out and jumping into home improvement with both hands (I know you don't jump with your hand, LOL). She'll probably inspire her friends to do this as well! I think you should encourage her all along the way. In fact I plan on doing a feature of women taking matters into their own hands, do you think she might be interested?

She bought the Clay Magic blue and the guy at the store told her to use Meguiars Final Inspection 34 as a lubricant.
    That is a financial decision. Why carry 2 products that do the same job: Save the shelf space and put in another product. Clay Magic makes their own surface lube but FI will do the trick too.

She also got Tork 909 towels
    I am not familiar with these. Are they 100% cotton?

3M general adhesive cleaner
    This is a fantastic product. You are going to find so many other uses for this.

What do you think? I say " if I use the Mcguiars as a lube I'm putting on wax that im gonna end up taking off with the 3M."
    You are going to be taking it off, but it is not actually like a wax. Well, it is but it is not very durable and will come right off with the 3M GPAC.

Keep me posted on her progress! This is a fantastic story in the making. To the rest of you ladies I'd like your stories as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)

Default And the rest of the story

okay time to confess.. The 74 has been my project car for two years, washing her, waxing and polishing the chrome and thousands of dollars later she's starting to get close to where I want her. All this time I hear "You love that car more than me" We have become pretty active in the local Vette club, so at the Chevy dealer she's looking at a black C-4, Not my most favorite model of vette but lets check this thing out. Pop the hood and holy smoke it says "Grand Sport" in those big wonderful red letters. Now how to get this thing home, Oh honey yeah you would look good in this car. Just think a two vette family hon. It can be yours honey! Now this car is in the driveway and she is on this it's gotta be perfect NOW frame of mind, (It's mine). I encourage it for the most part, but every thing that she does to HER car, is something new my baby goes with out! (lol)

Wamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)

Default Oh, Jealousy....

I think that is what my husband was trying to say...
    Actually, it is my car and after the shock of him bringing home the 74 wore off and we got involved with the local club and started doing events I started letting him know I would like my own. Since we do all things Corvette together, I thought it would be fun to be able to work on my car while he works on his. I am not very mechanical, but figure I can handle the looking good thing. I am very excited to try this out, Sunday is my next day off, hopefully all is good weather wise. The car is black and in AZ cannot stay clean. Fingerprints are another thing that drives me nuts. I think I will have to carry my 100% cotton towel in my purse to open and shut the doors!! The guy at the paint shop also told me that when I wax the car, being that it is black, to not use a circular motion or I would end up with the swirls I want to get rid of. Since I am a blonde I could stand there and take up about 30 minutes of his time asking ridiculous questions! Thanks for the encouragement! I will let you know how it turns out.

Deb

DetailingDude

This is what I love about 2 Vette families! You guys are great! If you have a digital camera could you take pix of the cars and the process. This would make great copy. I am glad the rival is civil. If there is anything you encounter along the way let me know and I will do my best to talk you though the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    Corvette(s)
    1993 SuperNatural 400 #5 /99 LS1 Z28 N2O equipped

I have good luck with all of Zaino's products including their claybar

luvmy82

This is my Camaro and that was claybarred and Zainoed the MINUTE I brought it home from the dealership. You would not believe the crap that the clay bar pulled from the body!
    http://<a href="http://www.pictureju...%20End.jpg</a>
    The Corvette has "product X" on it....but I'm just like you Deb, anal as the day is long about how good my cars look. However, my hubby could care less about cars, and I live and breathe good looking, vintage, fast cars! http://www.picturejudge.com/memberpi...%20a%205x7.jpg

luvmy82

Let's try that again...here's the Camaro. Took me almost 8 hours to do. The body on this car is HUGE compared to the Vette! Hubby was quite impressed with my work though when he asked to jump in and take it for a ride!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast