Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mapman

Thread: Still don't like the drive train!!! no throttle cable!! Too much electornics!!!

Corvette(s)
    1994 coupe

Default Still don't like the drive train!!! no throttle cable!! Too much electornics!!!

Torq. tube,transmission as a differential? 1996 was the last true corvette. The new vettes are a nightmare!!! I'll take my 1994 700hp vette any time. I can work on it with ease and thats the fun of having a vette!!! Come on GM build a vette like the viper and also keep the new vettes for the suit and tie guys that manicure their nails. You won't do that because you know what would happen don't you?!!! Kadangadong

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 95 04 12

I love these "one post wonders" who sign up to stir the pot.

Facts are that C4, 5 and 6 are all easy to work on as long as you have good tools and service data. I own a 95, an 04 and a 12 and work on all of them myself. In fact, in some respects, due to better diagnostics, more simple assembly and less problems with parts availability, the C5 and C6 are easier to work on that is the C4.

As for the torque tube linking the engine to the transaxle, that's part of why C5 and C6 handle far better than does a C4. The C5/C6 structure is so much better than is that of C4.

I'd take on your "700-hp Vette" with my 500-hp C6 on any road course. The only place I might be in jeopardy is on a long straight and that's if you could get the car to hook off the turns and we only ran a couple of laps. If we ran a lot of laps, my car's much better brakes would negate most of your extra 200 horses.
    Chevrolet needing to build a "Vette like a Viper"...I can only

In the most recent ZR-1 vs. Viper test at Laguna Seca by Motor Trend magazine, the Viper got it's ass kicked.

As for my wearing a suit and tie and manicuring my nails?

Corvette(s)
    2009 Cyber Gray Z51 C6

Default Still don't like the drive train!!! no throttle cable!! Too much electornics!!!

I'm just joining in, to track the responses. As far as my two cents: Everyone has an opinion, as I'm sure you have heard in the well known saying. My opinion is that to each his/her own....I would take the vette. And in the end, if the viper ended up beating my vette by x/10ths of a second, I'll survive!

Mac
    Corvette(s)
    yellow 1973 coupe L82 4 spd with no power options

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    As for my wearing a suit and tie and manicuring my nails?
    No vodka martini, shaken not stirred, Hib?

-Mac
    Visit the CAC's 2014 Stingray Reveal Photo Gallery

Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    '96 GSc, '67 L68r, '78 L82, '70 L48c, '70 LT-1c

I sure am glad that my C4 GS doesn't have any "electornics". They sound kind of scarey...
    ____
    Bob

Corvette(s)
    1980 Beige.red/black Project

Quote Originally Posted by kadangadong View Post
    ... 1996 was the last true corvette. ...
    Dang, I thought the 1962 straight axle was the last true Corvette!
    Last edited by mapman; 01-21-13 at 06:23 PM.
    Mac likes this.

Corvette(s)
    1986 Z51 Coupe, 2001 Z06

I will say that my C4 could spank the C5's until the Z06 came along, and it has only 230 hp. So, I wouldn't say that the C5 was an instant success in the performance department. I am talking autocross, not drag racing or on a track.