Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rob
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 (Canadian) Bright Red / Black

Default Should Chevy Corvette have 2 versions?

Should Chevy Corvette have 2 versions?

BY MARK PHELAN
    FREE PRESS COLUMNIST
    Posted: Feb. 21, 2010

As sure as the sun rises and God makes little green apples, there will always be a Chevrolet Corvette.

Exactly what the next generation of America's most revered sports car will bring is the topic of intense study within General Motors, however.

The Corvette is arguably the world's best sports car. It has looks that would make Ferrari proud, performance to match Porsche, and a price that undercuts both by tens of thousands of dollars.

It also has countless fanatical admirers and a devoted owner base built up over decades.

This is not a formula an automaker messes with lightly.

However, there's a school of thought within GM that the next Corvette -- which probably won't hit the road for at least three to four years -- must break the mold.

Full Story: Should Chevy Corvette have 2 versions? | freep.com | Detroit Free Press
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe

A low end Vette would be great if it could be done properly, but it will not.
    They have been there /done that.

The early C5's had one (FRC) and it was what eventually became the Zo6.
    It was supposed to be a low end stripper car that would get back to basics- possibly to be used for racing???
    WELL the cost difference was not as much as expected and when compared to a discounted car the saving was nil.
    Luckily it was quickly resurrected as a "boy- racer".

The main reason IMHO, is that most buyers have an idea of the vette they always wanted and they buy via a lease or other long term financing. the difference each month would be peanuts. So you would have a base model reduced feature vette and save the price of a pizza each month.

In the 80's?? Harley Davidson did something similar. They realized that most bikers customize their bikes and toss out the good/expensive original parts. The answer was to sell a very simple, reduced cost bike that was to be used as a custom platform.

A vette owner is not going to give up A/C, Stereos, and so many Vette comfort/ performance features - unless they get a GREAT savings-------NOT.

Corvette(s)
    1981 UL5

I wrote a reply to another thread in the C6 forums, and I'll link to it, as it bites at the fringe of this topic.

A Corvette is a Corvette it ain't a Chevette or GEO Metro... maybe GM needs to break away from their "Focus Groups" and put some hands on application to the issue The "problems" they face today are no more dramatic or monsterous than what has been faced and overcome in the History of the marque... Quit being such Drama Queens GM and use your talent and fulfill the task you are charged with..

Ring, Ring, Ring anyone home at GM ~ Corvette

Bud Dougherty
    Amarillo, Texas

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe

If GM wants to "break the mold" they could get the lowly cobalt or other small car and make a factory "tuner" and sell all sorts of equipment for it.
    BUT as a federal auto company, it looks bad to have any performance via bailout.

If the governmant built cars, they would be 4door grey Valiants - Mort Saul

Corvette(s)
    2012 GS coupe 2001 and 1979 coupes

I don't have any idea what the majority think but I would like to see a slightly more affordable product. I do think much of the problem with younger people buying one is insurance cost. I would be fine with two different vehicles at different price ranges but feel the more affordable option should retain the corvette name.

Corvette(s)
    Millennium Yellow LS6 enhanced Roadster

:G WOW - Corvette has 6 models to choose from right now...

Corvette(s)
    2001 z06

they don't need to be cheaper. the problem is people want everything. I want the american muscle icons to stay the way they are. if you want a cheap performance car buy a V6 'stang. Buy a v6 camaro. Buy a 4-Cyl turbo Cobalt. come-on. GM is bending over already selling 6 model corvettes and it has brought the value of them way down already. They are trying so hard to please the US.
    2001 TR C5Z check it ouuuuut!
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820662
    It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble a car and 1 nut to scatter it all over the road.

Corvette(s)
    2000 Navy Blue Coupe A4 Z51

Cadillac XLR count as a "second version" ? It's basically a Vette in Caddy packaging.
    Andy
    Andy Anderson - PROUD VIETNAM VETERAN.

Vietnam Veterans Corvette Club - Founding Member #1

"Dream as if you'll live forever...........Live as though you'll die today" - James Dean

"Money isn't everything.........but it SURE DOES keep the kids in touch!"

Corvette(s)

The XLR is no longer produced...

Corvette(s)
    2000 Navy Blue Coupe A4 Z51

Shooter,
    That's true! But I was wondering how well it did while it was being produced. Were the numbers significantly lower than the Vette's numbers, and if they were, wouldn't that say something about 2 "versions"? They had the FRC version, then made the Z06 out of it, and I have to ask why? Didn't the Z06 sell enough on it's own? Was it marketed incorrectly? Why did GM move from the "entry level" niche that the FRC was supposed to fill, to a vehicle that was the Z06? I don't know any of the answers, but if they truly want a "second version" they need to bring to market a vehicle that fills those needs and requirements and stick to that business model for the category. The fact that the XLR is no longer in production may also say a lot about how well a "second version" will do. From everything I've heard, the XLR was a decent piece of machineary.
    Andy Anderson - PROUD VIETNAM VETERAN.

Vietnam Veterans Corvette Club - Founding Member #1

"Dream as if you'll live forever...........Live as though you'll die today" - James Dean

"Money isn't everything.........but it SURE DOES keep the kids in touch!"

Corvette(s)

We went from running 22 of them a day to almost single digits...

Corvette(s)
    1973 L-48 Coupe

They have enough knock offs already

Corvette(s)
    Not yet

I wrote about this on my business magazine opinion blog, and I'm torn on the subject:

Marketplace of Ideas Blog - Give me both options and I’ll let you know

I'm looking for a Corvette that I can afford. (Unfortunately, I work in journalism, so the number of Corvettes I can afford is essentially zero.)

Corvette(s)

Presty - What vehicle are you currently driving?

L8TR - D

Corvette(s)
    Not yet

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    Presty - What vehicle are you currently driving?

L8TR - D
    Vehicles: 2005 Subaru Outback, 2001 Honda Odyssey.

Children: 3.

Garage space: 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast