Corvette Action Center - The ultimate online hub of Corvette news and information! Click here to go to the Corvette Forums!

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Supporting Membership - Advertising Information - Corvette Amazon Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2006 YLW, 2004 YLW & 1985 BLK

Default Z06 With an Automatic Transmission . . ?

Will someone please educate me . . . Last year, I purchased my C-6 with the paddle shift auto trans and it truly almost makes you feel like one could have 2 transmissions in their vette, an Auto AND a Standard. But what I can't understand is, why doesn't or didn't . . , GM elect to design a Z06 with the same or paddel shift or capable auto trans in a Z06? It was the only reason why I didn't buy the Z06 instead.

At first, I thought the Z06 just punches out too much torque for that transmission to handle but, that's actually, a pretty stout transmission for what I have learned.

So, could someone please give me some education why a Z06 wasn't designed to come with the option for an Automatic Transmission ?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you!

Dirtfarmer

I'll give it a stab. I think it's because the Z06 is supposed to be a factory production racer. Race drivers want the manual for the track so the production car gets the manual. I also remember hearing that safety rules in pro racing dictate that the cars have to have a hardtop. So along with no automatic there's also no Z06 convertibles. We can always hope though.

Corvette(s)
    Stingray

I personally don't think a 06 will ever make it out the door with an automatic of any kind....maybe a paddleshift stick, but not an auto.

Corvette(s)

Ya, but weren't some of the older and maybe so still today, I don't know, but weren't some of the Top Fulies drag racing with some auto's like the "Doug Nash Auto's?" I can understand making sure the chasis should be a solid structure, hence minus a convert or removable top, but . . . there must be something else to prevent the auto option. Interesting!

Corvette(s)
    www.67HEAVEN.com

Quote Originally Posted by SatansVette View Post
    but weren't some of the Top Fulies drag racing with some auto's like the "Doug Nash Auto's?"
    The Z-06, and indeed all Corvettes, are designed for road course racing, not straight-line 1/4 mile.

The real beauty of the Corvette is that, in addition to accelerating and going fast, it can actually turn corners too.

All of the factory-racer activity for the last 45-50 years, (i.e. the "out-the-back-door" secret stuff of the '60s), not to mention the C5R campaign, was designed around road course racing, not drag racing.

Real race cars turn corners...............both left and right.
    Link to the Shop Build thread.

"I believe that time wounds all heels".
    John Lennon

===============================

Corvette(s)
    1981 white/blue interior automatic

Well said 67heaven!

-Tatortot

Corvette(s)

Oh definitely, I totally agree... but it seems, at least I seem to think anyway , that paddle shift auto's currently in the regular C6, could more handle the Z06 could dish out.... no?

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT1 Collector Edition Coupe

Hmmm, Z06 designed to go on curves and road courses and not necessarily the 1/4 mile, therefore no paddle shifters.

So I guess that Formula 1 cars with their paddle shifters were designed for the 1/4 mile.

Are you really sure that is the reason and not some other one?

Corvette(s)

I think the thread is getting off topic.... I'm really just trying to figure out why GM doesn't or didn't offer an automatic in the ZO6 . . . not that the C6's 6 speed Paddle shift Automatic transmission would be the only option.

Corvette(s)
    1981 white/blue interior automatic

I think they think it is more performance oriented. Since the paddle shift is more of an auto, they would rather stick with a manual. Plus weight saving too I believe. Also the paddle shift is a newer technology (to GM) that they may believe is not up to the extreme pressures a race car (Z06) is supposedly used as. This is just my opinion based on information I have read.

-Tatortot

I heard that GM was testing the new A6 paddle shifter in the Z06 and it was in fact a faster track car than the six speed manual.

Corvette buyers for the most part think driving a manual is important to "Being in control" or some bull.

Maybe GM engineers have'nt experienced the Corvette manuals "clutch pedal sticking" scenerio...

Wish GM offered the Dual clutch sequential shifter technology Porsche is ready to release..(audi offers the dual clutch sequential shift technology for 1200 dollar option so its not expensive .......

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06 Quicksilver, ModRed

Quote Originally Posted by JBsC5 View Post
    I heard that GM was testing the new A6 paddle shifter in the Z06 and it was in fact a faster track car than the six speed manual.

Corvette buyers for the most part think driving a manual is important to "Being in control" or some bull.

Maybe GM engineers have'nt experienced the Corvette manuals "clutch pedal sticking" scenerio...

Wish GM offered the Dual clutch sequential shifter technology Porsche is ready to release..(audi offers the dual clutch sequential shift technology for 1200 dollar option so its not expensive .......

I was thinking about porsche and their tiptronic auto:

The 911 Turbo has two transmission options—a 6-speed manual or Porsche's advanced 5-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission. For the first time in a Porsche, acceleration is actually quicker with the automatic than with the manual transmission. However, performance figures are impressive with either transmission. When equipped with the 6-speed manual, the 911 Turbo reaches 60 mph in just 3.7 seconds ; 99 mph arrives in 8.4 seconds. The Tiptronic S transmission brings the 0-60 mph time down to a mere 3.4 seconds, with 99 mph showing up in 7.8 seconds. Top speed with either transmission is 193 mph. Definitely supercar territory

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4024058

I would love for GM to offer this!

Beleive it or not Porsche is creating a new automatic paddle shifter with dual clutch technology that surpasses both the M6 and tiptronic in its execution.

Should be out next year or so!

Can't wait to see what occurs in the transmission world after that car releases..

Could be all over for manuals and torque convertor automatics...(at least in sports cars!)

Corvette(s)
    2006 C6Z DSOM

Quote Originally Posted by SatansVette View Post
    Oh definitely, I totally agree... but it seems, at least I seem to think anyway , that paddle shift auto's currently in the regular C6, could more handle the Z06 could dish out.... no?
    Is this where "no means yes?"

The 6speed auto paddleshift is designed to handle 670lb. ft. of torque. My stock Z06 has 427 on the ground. Now, figure 10% gain from the ground to the output shaft and...

Chevy has never had an automatic in any Z06, going all the way back to 1963. It'll be a cold day in hell before they put one in now.

no? (or possibly?)

The die hard stick shift fans probably voiced their opinion against the paddle shift for the Z06...

Personally the Bullsh!t with the clutch pedal has swayed me...

I'd buy a double clutch shift technology in a Corvette anyday of the week just so I didn't have to deal with the sticking clutch pedal that GM is ignoring...

The A6 torque convertor model almost made production but its been held back...

Bad for the "macho" image of the Z so its probably on hold..

I personally think it would be awesome and GM tests showed its actually faster than the manual....(or so I've heard from those who said it exists if you believe that)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast